Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 45 (November 5th - November 11th)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    One of my favorites, Rebe! If you can, I always recommend reading No Longer at Ease as well--it's the continuation of the story. Hope you enjoy it!
    Vicki, did you read all three? I just requested the trilogy because it's all in one book.

I have always loved the title of this book so I've been drawn to reading it for years. I enjoyed it. Very well written, great insights into the history and culture of late 1800's Nigeria. He didn't gloss over the negative on the part of either the Nigerians or the missionaries and the government they brought with them. Parts of it were hard to read but I know it was honest. I wish it would still be read today in high school or college (is it?) because it gives a good picture of what lies in the heart of man, all men, in all cultures, in all time periods - for better or for worse. I wonder sometimes if young people are still being asked to read honest books like this.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Vicki, did you read all three? I just requested the trilogy because it's all in one book.

I have always loved the title of this book so I've been drawn to reading it for years. I enjoyed it. Very well written, great insights into the history and culture of late 1800's Nigeria. He didn't gloss over the negative on the part of either the Nigerians or the missionaries and the government they brought with them. Parts of it were hard to read but I know it was honest. I wish it would still be read today in high school or college (is it?) because it gives a good picture of what lies in the heart of man, all men, in all cultures, in all time periods - for better or for worse. I wonder sometimes if young people are still being asked to read honest books like this.
    I'm pretty sure I read this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Fabulous writing! I should add the author to my read-more list.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

I agree--the honesty is what always captures me as well with his work. I actually forgot about the 3rd book--I've never read that one! I guess I need to get on that. I have to say that even though I'm glad I read No Longer, I didn't like it nearly as well as the first book. But I liked knowing where he went next with the story. When I use his work in my classes, it seems that there are still a certain percentage of students who are familiar with him and have been exposed to Things in high school, so that's something, at least!

If you can ever get hold of his essay "Africa's Tarnished Name," it's well worth it. He has some compelling poetry as well.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

I've started Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. I've wanted to read this for years, and saw it sitting on a library shelf last week, so I grabbed it. So far I like it, just a few chapters in.
    Adding this to my list. I may add the entire trilogy.
    "Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey