Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday DECLUTTERING!

Default Tuesday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Choose on project or extra item on your to do list that needs doing. This is a week to tackle something out of the norm. It could be hoeing out a closet, deep cleaning something that's been waiting, washing curtains, cleaning a window, etc. Maybe you can choose more than one if they are small nagging items.

School Challenge: Game school challenge! Choose something fun to play and learn with your kids and then organize the game stack when you put them away.

Inspiring Thought:
    The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater. - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

For me today:
    • PTE & grocery store
    • school time- including morning meeting
    • school planning
    • facilitate robotics work- make sure it happens, etc
    • tidy the first floor
    • clean the showers- usually Dan's job (I'll try though...the surface is odd and not easily cleaned)
    • play a game
    • send a group email
    • blog work

I'm keeping it simple this week and doing what needs to be done. My extra item for the week are the stove hood filters. Those haven't been done in a bit and it's time.

I need to hurry with PTE and I'll be back with that recipe, Michelle! I can't remember whether I added the full recipe or not but I do think it's there.

Have a peaceful day!
    Last edited by Heather W; 11-07-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Good morning!

I've done a load of laundry and gotten myself ready. It's cold this morning, so it's good to keep moving!

*laundry--will probably do a load of towels this evening
    *IEW/school
    *PE
    *soup in the crock pot--need to do some prep this morning and then I'll make it and put it in the crock pot to warm while we're at swimming
    *swimming
    *RAR author event
    *15 minutes on the pantry
    *trash and recycling out

I *think* I'm fairly organized for the day, so hopefully it will all go smoothly!

Have a great day today, friends!

Good morning, all

Heather -- I like the IT this morning

Jen -- it's cold there????? It's 75 here today but overcast and possibly rainy, but it's 59 tomorrow and then up in the 60s..... Crazy weather!

Heather -- you asked about cleaning baseboards. I've always used vinegar water because that's what my mom has always said cleans the best. I've never tried anything different. HOWEVER, I did read just last week that *supposedly* using Bounce dryer sheets to clean your baseboards helps repel dust. I should have had the kids try that -- anything that repels sounds like it would be up my alley If anyone tries that, please let me know the results!

Elizabeth -- glad you were home when your battery died. That's not a good feeling! Sounds like you got a bunch accomplished, though.

Cari -- hope kids get on the mend at your house!

Today:
    * already been up and moving for a while.....
    * brought the puppy in early this morning. The crazy dog had either chewed off his stitches last night or else jumped and ran so hard this morning that the stitches came out. The vet said no running or jumping for 2 weeks. Yep. I laughed when he said that. This dog is the most hyper animal I think I've ever seen. When Jim went to let him out of his pen this morning, he was jumping and leaping in excitement. No keeping him down. We've put him in a small pen (8x10), and put some hay down, and I've given him a big bone -- maybe that will help entertain him and keep him "down" some.
    * everyone is up and moving. We've had breakfast, and we got the kitchen tidied.
    * I already cleaned out the microwave and have cleaned the outside of the microwave and the ovens -- the fridge will be after lunch.
    * and we've wiped down a couple of countertops. The rest will be later.
    * Den is tidied, and random shoes have been put away
    * school is next on the agenda.
    * then we'll work more on house cleaning and prepping for the jewelry party for tonight
    * we'll organize food, etc.
    * party is at 6:30, and my friend's son is coming to play with the boys upstairs -- I've told them NO rough playing -- it's game night (the other boy loves monopoly, just like my boys, and legos, so hopfully they can be calm)

LOTS to do today.
    Hope ya'll have a wonderful day!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Good Morning Ladies,

Dump/ Vent:
    Logan turns 8 at the end of January. He really struggles with attention, and although he has made lots of progress this affects his ability to learn.
    He is reading, but it is a struggle and he needs to sound out almost every single word. He is in the third collection of Bob books.
    He is also "behind" in math, but is making progress there too. His writing is finally legible and he knows how to make the letters, but he isn't writing full sentences. We work on copywork everyday.
    Yesterday he told us that a couple of boys in Sunday school were calling him "dumb" because he said he couldn't read chapter books yet. Ashlyn is also in his class (2nd-4th grade) so we asked her about it. She said that the teachers didn't hear and that it didn't last long.
    At the little co-op we participate in, he is upset because he wasn't given a speaking part in the little play. In the last play, he was an actor but only got to "woof." This time he is only a sign walker. I'm frustrated too, but didn't make a stink about it because that would have meant taking a speaking part away from another kid. I think the leader didn't give him a part he isn't reading. In the past, he has recited poetry and Shakespeare for the group, so clearly he is capable. But because he is an active boy that isn't fluently reading, they underestimate his ability to participate and treat him like the other 4/5 year olds and this exacerbates his poor behavior-struggles because he has nothing to do!
    At home, he is reverting to some "baby behavior" and keeps talking baby-talk. Dan and I are constantly reminding him that he is a young man and needs to speak like one etc.
    I'm upset that kids that should be "safe" are making fun of him. I'm worried about his progress and "am I doing the right thing!"
    It seems all people can see is that he has a hard time sitting still and isn't reading fluently. Once, they notice that, they stop encouraging him and expecting a lot of him.

Okay, vent over.

goals for the day:
    Morning time
    school
    magnet experiment
    vote
    cleaning
    good dinner

Hannah has soccer practice tonight.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Paige, it's in the 40s today and gray! It should be in the 60s later this week.

Angela I'm sorry you (and Logan!) are dealing with this! Dd has been slower than her peers in reading and last year one of the older girls at church said, "Hello! Non-reader here!" when she was supposed to be helping her. We are plugging along, but we haven't dealt with too much outside effect since we're not doing co-op anymore.

I use baby wipes to clean baseboards--and lots of other things, too. In fact, I just got through using them to dust the light fixtures above the island!

Dd helped me prep some things for the soup and we'll head out soon!

HW - Last time I put the stove filters in the dishwasher. They came out cleaner than when they went in, but not as clean as when I boiled them with baking soda.

Jen - Thanks for the reminder on the RAR event!
    Thanks for the sympathy. I don't think we will participate in the co-op next year. The ladies are all very nice and it is low-key, but I need something that is good for all of my kids!

Paige - poor puppy! I hope you can get him settled somehow!

Baseboards - Sometimes we just use a damp cloth and sometimes we use babywipes. Our dog sheds so we have to do it frequently to keep up.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

AR- That is a tough one. I concur with your decision not to do co-op. Perhaps reducing the time he is around peers and feeling pressured even indirectly, will give both of you the time you need to work without the negative input.

Also, in regard to co-ops, I think it can be a difficult thing for teachers and kids. I am always surprised at the variance in skills within an age range. And, let's face it, the women that we co-op with aren't necessarily equipped to handle whatever comes their way. I think of this with Sunday school too. As a teacher, I have a lot of tools in my toolbox, but not every mom does. That is not to say that everyone needs to be a teacher to co-op! I'm just saying I feel badly for moms who find themselves with a grouping of kids that is difficult and as an organizer I hate setting moms up for a situation like that. Sometimes I think we expect a lot from moms and they aren't knowledgeable for the job.

Also, I find that lots of moms don't handle boys very well. I was just reading that section in Mere Motherhood about what little boys are made of ...let me see if I can find that quote. "We are living in an increasingly feminized society..." and it goes on, but lots of moms (most especially if they only have girls) don't like boy behavior. I have taught more than one class with moms who fret about what boys do during class. The boy moms are usually like whatever. But, one semester this older woman would freak out if Dan couldn't teach his robotics class. Smart lady but she was worried about middle school boys being handled if Dan wasn't there. Oh my gosh...I was insulted! The idea that I couldn't handle a room full of middle school boys. Laughable! I much prefer them to the room of girls!

Anyway, just yesterday I was helping in a big cats class that is all boys and one girl. At the end of class, they get to put on creature power discs and act like that animal. Which inevitably results in dog piling of boys roaring at each other - doesn't matter the assignment. hahaha I'm so used to it, it doesn't phase me. I let it go on a bit and then we redirect.

Anyway, I'm a circle the wagon kind of girl. When things get hard, for whatever reason, that is my coping mechanism. Mostly, it's for a season but if my kids need that time, it's worth it. Usually there are no arguments about that decision and everyone can take a breather.

NO guilt!

You are doing great!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

HW - You are right, it is really hard to accommodate the wide variety of abilities in any kind of co-op situation. I didn't mean to say the lady in charge wasn't doing a good job or that I wasn't appreciative of all the work and effort she puts into the co-op. I am appreciative and I know it is a challenging position to be in and that she can not meet everyone's needs. I'm just frustrated with not being able to find a good fit for him.
    I am thinking of just using the time we would have done co-op to organize some nature walks and outdoor playdates as the weather allows. Logan seems to play best with other kids while we are outside and we all enjoy the more relaxed time with other families better than the more organized co-ops or events.

Angela -- all kids learn at their own pace. You know Logan is learning so don't you stress. Makes me mad he is having to deal with others. I am so sorry!

Heather -- I was laughing at the dog pile & roaring. That is boys!! Sunday night my to BIG boys were wrestling in the living room.

Jen -- what's going in the crockpot?

Paige -- you have been busy this morning

I use baby wipes on baseboards too. In fact any dusty I use them. Keeps the dust stuck to it and I can just toss. I use the really cheap ones.

So far:
    • dentist..both boys had cavities filled
    • dropped boys at house..with institutions to ds2 & schoolwork
    • bank
    • local small grocery
    • fixed lunch & ate

Up next:
    • put together chicken pot pie
    • wash dishes
    • fold laundry
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds

Angela Many hugs! I understand your pain completely! Is he in 2nd or 3rd? When's his birthday?

I ask all of that because my Ben is similar. He's 9 (turn 9 on 8/18), and he's in 3rd grade. I intentionally did not start him in K at 5 because he was NOT ready. Nowhere near. He's very ADDH. He's super smart, but he cannot sit still and has a very hard time focusing. Can I tell you that THIS year (at 9) has been better than ever?!?!? He's focusing so much more, and his reading is MUCH better. Even last year, we were plodding along with reading. He could read level 2 books and has stayed there for at least a year (although it was probably Christmas last year before he could do that). He does handwriting practice (because it's atrocious), but he could not even begin to write a complete sentence without help. He doesn't even want to attempt it. Now, he can tell you what he wants to write, but he wants me right there beside him to help him sound out the words. Now, Math -- that's a different story -- he's doing great, but it's memorization and then working through the problems. Sometimes he can zoom through it, and sometimes it's torturous when he can't focus. If he's writing facts, I have him hop on his hopper or jump on the min-trampoline while I call out the facts and write down the answers for him. IT WILL COME. Each one of my kids has been different. Mattie is very ADDH, also, (but has learned many coping mechanisms as she's now 15), and she didn't want to read chapter books until at least 6th grade -- she only wanted picture books. Ben, too, is overwhelmed by too many words on a page. It'll come. It's very, VERY difficult when so many people "compare," but it'll come, and that's what I keep telling myself. I've seen it with my own kids.

In our coop, Ben is in 4th grade because of his age, and I'm constantly worried that he's going to have a teacher who wants him to write something or read something, BUT his class of 4th graders has 9 boys and 1 girl. They change classes this year and are mixed with 4-6th and sometimes even 4th-8th graders, but everyone recognizes this group of 4th grade boys. Thus far, I haven't had an issue at coop.

Just be encouraged! It WILL happen. The lightbulb WILL come on. He WILL calm down (a bit ). My mom is a retired teacher, and every time she is here and sees me working on school, she tells me how GOOD it is that I'm hsing, especially for Mattie and Ben's sakes. She knows that in school they would be problems -- smart, short attention span, can't sit still, but can't focus enough to learn the tedious stuff (like reading and handwriting). You're doing the RIGHT thing, and you're the BEST teacher for your son out there!!!

I'll tell you a funny (albeit a sad funny). My dh was the same way. Super ADDH. He was even put on ritlin (for 1 year) in the 70s!!! He's incredibly smart -- definitely gifted, but at some point in elementary school got put in the class with the Learning Disabled kids because he could NOT focus and would not "do." He knew the answers, but he just wouldn't do the work because he was out in la-la land. He was constantly in trouble for different things because he was so bored. Eventually, the teacher offered the kids a hot wheels car for doing something, and when he did it immediately, she realized that he really didn't belong in that class He was truly lost in the classroom. That's where my Mattie and Ben would be, I'm sure.

It'll come!!! Just keep plugging along. It'll all come together at some point

- - - Updated - - -

Ladies -- how have I never heard of using baby wipes?!?!? I bet that would work wonderfully well!!!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)