Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday DECLUTTERING!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Rose View Post
    HW - You are right, it is really hard to accommodate the wide variety of abilities in any kind of co-op situation. I didn't mean to say the lady in charge wasn't doing a good job or that I wasn't appreciative of all the work and effort she puts into the co-op. I am appreciative and I know it is a challenging position to be in and that she can not meet everyone's needs. I'm just frustrated with not being able to find a good fit for him.
    I am thinking of just using the time we would have done co-op to organize some nature walks and outdoor playdates as the weather allows. Logan seems to play best with other kids while we are outside and we all enjoy the more relaxed time with other families better than the more organized co-ops or events.
    AR- I hope you know I wasn't telling you that it's too much to expect from your co-op! What I wanted to convey is that when it is difficult to accommodate kids' needs, it's not good for anyone. Everyone is frustrated.

My kids don't do well in a co-op setting. For lots of reasons.

And, I think as homeschoolers, we feel pressured to do co-ops. It's silly!

Your plans sounds marvelous! Do what helps your kids to thrive and leave the rest behind.

I agree with Paige, that a conventional classroom would be super hard to navigate. It will click! Be encouraged!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Update:
    • quickly did some PTE
    • work drop
    • grocery store
    • groceries in and away
    • got the kitchen trash emptied and out to the can
    • morning meeting- with a read aloud and a game (which turned out to be a lot of fun!)
    • changed out the hand towels in two bathrooms
    • laundry started- by E
    • took some blog pictures- new post tomorrow
    • switched laundry
    • folded some laundry
    • had a few things put away from the school room- this was actually yesterday
    • got the boys started on programming- and J to comment his code (lots of FLL work this week)

So, it's election day and we have a pretty heated local election. Both candidates have dropped by and chatted with us. We're also voting on whether or not to hold a Constitutional Convention here in NY. We get to vote every 20 years on the process. In 1997, it was voted to hold it and then the results were rejected. So, that's been an interesting discussion. The guy running for the town supervisor against the incumbent is married to "Ask Amy". The heated debates surround an industrial solar project.

All that to say that when I pick up Dan from work we are headed over to vote and E is coming with us. It's his second election.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Good afternoon. It's cold and gloomy here; I'm trying NOT to allow my mood to match, but it's a stretch. Although I couldn't settle down until well past midnight last night, I was wide awake shortly after 6:00 am, or the equivalent of the wake up time I had fairly consistently established at between 7:00-7:30 am. So I really wasn't overly amused. I didn't pop right out of bed, but I probably should have, as it's not like I really got any more sleep. Sigh.

Phoebe has an appointment with the doctor at 2:30 pm to assess the throat situation. Not sure if it's warranted, but not feeling included to wait, either. If it IS strep, the sooner we get her on antibiotics, the better. And if not, at least we'll know and can move on. TJ is feeling somewhat better, but still under quarantine at this point.

So far today:

• Up, dressed and not really ready for the day.
    • Made bed; tidied bedroom & bathroom.
    • Finished processing yesterdays' laundry.
    • Responded to overnight emails/texts/FB.
    • Did some advertising for upcoming sales.
    • Posted new inventory that Phoebe just photographed.
    • Prepped a few packages & sent to the mailbox.
    • Made doctors' appointment for Phoebe.
    • Got TJ to get out ground beef for dinner tonight.
    • Met a gal at Dunkin' to do some leggings swapping.
    • Called to tell youth pastor that kids are sick.
    • Called MIL for some calendar checks. Conflicts .
    • Phoebe photographed the new leggings we swapped.
    • Sorted them out, posted new, deleted old.
    • Fixed some glitches in the inventory (holiday).
    • Watched home office update for the week.
    • Took Phoebe to doc. No strep, but sinus/ears.
    • Cancelled chiropractor for tomorrow.

Up next:

• Work on the homework for bible study.
    • The kitchen. Still remnants of dinner. Last night's.
    • Pick out leggings for giveaways.
    • Dinner. Cheeseburger macaroni. Easy.
    • Set up tray with healthy snack (carrots & hummus).
    • Leave kids with instructions for the evening.
    • Stop at Target to pick up Phoebe's Rx.
    • Ladies' bible study if the weather improves.
    • Drop off soda for bazaar, maybe flea market items.
    • Back home; regroup/check incoming FB/email.
    • Prep/send out a few more packages.
    • Downstairs tidy/up-down basket.
    • Get Phoebe settled into bed as early as possible.
    • A bit more LLR paperwork, emails, etc.
    • Load inventory into another FB sale.
    • Hang out with TJ? If he's up to it.
    • Bedtime. Need to get back in sequence again.

There's more. A lot more. But considering I started this post more than three hours ago, I'm not sure I see even that much getting done. I knew it was going to be one of those days.
    Cari in Pa -- Married to Dave for 27 years!
    Mom to nurse Sara (23), married to Mike, almost-teacher Danielle (20), train-boy TJ (16) and my little dancer/soccer goalie Phoebe (13)

Jen: What soup are you making?

Heather: What game did yall end up playing?

Paige: It sounds like you're all ready for the party. Have fun tonight!

Angela: I'm sorry and upset that children have been cruel. We don't do co-ops but for various reasons: food allergies and mostly, because I want freedom in our homeschooling. I don't like any restraints or days that have to be saved for co-ops. I'm a planner but love last minute play dates, shopping trips, library trips, field trips, etc. Swim class is enough for us now. You know what's best for your children, and I know it hurts when your child is struggling with something or is different. This is coming from a food allergy mama who has experienced some heart wrenching pain from being different...

Michelle: I love me some baby wipes, too! What veggies do you use in your chicken pot pie? I'd like to make a vegan version but dh doesn't love peas.

By 11 am today I was a busy little bee. I was "up early" again for me around 7 am.
    I:
    *folded laundry
    *made bed
    *showered
    *vacummed
    *finished school (we started earlier than usual)
    *Recorded lessons in lesson planner
    *colored my mom's hair
    *started cooking lunch
    *cleaned the toilets and bathroom sinks (3 of each!)
    *emptied 2 trash cans

Then:
    *I blew out and styled my mom's hair
    *Watched some I Love Lucy
    *Went to Wal-Mart
    *Relaxation time
    *Reviewed upcoming folders with FIAR and other lesson plans. No changes needed. Yay!

Up Next:
    *Swim class if it isn't cancelled due to the rain
    *Dinner
    *General tidying up
    *I'd like to play War with my dd later. I printed a freebie from a website (either This Reading Mama or the Measured Mom- can't remember) I typed up some sight words and spelling words on them and laminated them.

Elizabeth -- sometimes I use green peas, sometimes not depends on my mood or if I have them Today is no Other veggies I did use, carrots, green beans, potatoes & corn.

• supper put together
    • kitchen cleaned
    • started cleaning in hall
    • got upset
    • took a couple boxes to goodwill
    • went to big lots
    • went to dollar tree
    • home and put up new cap rods
    • boys moved caps

Went to big lots and found the brackets i needed for 60c

My guys still have entirely to many caps. We have boxes upstairs they need to "save" and a ton on the cost tree. Most ones on tree they wear often. But still to many caps. So in "that room" is their clothes, shoes etc. I hung a curtain rod on the wall. Then put some shower S books on it. Voila caps and belts have a home!!

Yes the cap they wear everyday is on the cost tree by the door. But now there is room for hoodies to hang too
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds

Good afternoon!

I am making Amy's Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. It is soooo good! I got it ready and instead of letting it simmer on the stove like I normally would, I put it in the crock pot. It is so chilly and damp out there it will be nice to come back to after swimming!

We got through our classes (except for swimming) and so we're pretty much done with the bulk of the day!

Jen-- that's a favorite soup here as well.

Angela-- It's tough when other kids make comments, but to have adults treat him different carmaker things even worse in a group setting. You know my dyslexia story with ds19. However, ds10 was a slow-starter with reading too. We plodded along at his pace and I started him with Bob books too. He finally made the big leap where everything clicked when he turned 10. However, because of my work with ds19 I knew ds10 needed a very structured, multisensory reading program even though I didn't see the signs of dyslexia in him like I did with ds19. I use the Logic of English Foundations program with ds10 and highly recommend it for active boys who need to move while they learn. All About Reading is another great program though I have not used it personally. If Logan continues to sound out every word, even after seeing those words multiple times, he probably needs the phonemic awareness activities that both these programs provide. You can do this. Many of us have struggled with boys learning reading at their own pace, and it's ok. They do get there. I love that you are having him memorize things to recite. That is perfect and challenges him in a strength area. Keep going. And if co-op is not an encouragement for him then go ahead and let it go.
    Last edited by CINDY LB OH; 11-07-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CINDY LB OH View Post

Angela-- It's tough when other kids make comments, but to have adults treat him different carmaker things even worse in a group setting. You know my dyslexia story with ds19. However, ds10 was a slow-starter with reading too. We plodded along at his pace and I started him with Bob books too. He finally made the big leap where everything clicked when he turned 10. However, because of my work with ds19 I knew ds10 needed a very structured, multisensory reading program even though I didn't see the signs of dyslexia in him like I did with ds19. I use the Logic of English Foundations program with ds10 and highly recommend it for active boys who need to move while they learn. All About Reading is another great program though I have not used it personally. If Logan continues to sound out every word, even after seeing those words multiple times, he probably needs the phonemic awareness activities that both these programs provide. You can do this. Many of us have struggled with boys learning reading at their own pace, and it's ok. They do get there. I love that you are having him memorize things to recite. That is perfect and challenges him in a strength area. Keep going. And if co-op is not an encouragement for him then go ahead and let it go.
    So much goodness here!

I tried out All about Spelling and it uses all the modalities. I'm sure AAR is the same. I know a few moms here who use it and it's all laid out for the teacher.

Update:
    • worked on my post for tomorrow
    • got dinner in the oven
    • washed dishes
    • picked up dh
    • voted
    • finished making dinner- which took a long time and cost us the opportunity to watch the RAR event live tonight. Oh well! We'll catch it on the replay.
    • folded laundry
    • prepped the chicken broth to slow cook overnight in the IP
    • washed more dishes- that weren't clean when they came out of the dishwasher
    • had dishwasher emptied
    • reloaded dishwasher with KP kid

This evening I will finish that post. The girls I host Finishing Strong with each week decided to end our link up. Participation had really dropped off and a few other girls were just not up for it anymore. So, that opens up my editorial calendar on Wednesdays now. Tomorrow I'm sharing some podcasts for kids.

The boys are still doing robotics and I might see if someone will play a game with me. Though I know there is more stuff I'm supposed to be doing.

For one, I have to look over the next Algebra lesson. It's just not going as fast as with the other kids. Dh doesn't have the patience to work closely with him so I need to do it and it's going ok. This kid has the mechanics down. It's choosing when to use what that is the problem. That's a hard thing if you are not in love with math. Factoring is a bugger. Knowing which way something will factor is not intuitive for him and he doesn't have the tenacity to keep trying (my first two did).

So, maybe Algebra and then blogging, then game.

Hmmmm... could have sworn I posted again, but not seeing anything. In any case, it's almost 10:15 pm and I am on final countdown. I hit the wall big time earlier this evening, as in had to have TJ come pick me up at church because I was so exhausted and sleepy I didn't trust myself to drive home. Of course, I left Phoebe's antibiotics in the car, and we'll have to retrieve it tomorrow, but we'll deal with that, well, tomorrow.

I'm waiting to upload our inventory to a FB sale, then I'll be going to bed. That should happen within the next 10-15 minutes. I hope. Phoebe is upstairs getting herself ready for bed; I'm not even sure where TJ went after we got home. I heard him talking to Dave after I did; he should be home (in Philly, that is) around 8:00 pm on Friday night. Which, I believe, will involve TJ picking him up, not me. At least that's how I hope it plays out.

Today's Accomplishments:

• Up, dressed and not really ready for the day.
    • Made bed; tidied bedroom & bathroom.
    • Finished processing yesterdays' laundry.
    • Responded to overnight emails/texts/FB.
    • Did some advertising for upcoming sales.
    • Posted new inventory that Phoebe just photographed.
    • Prepped a few packages & sent to the mailbox.
    • Made doctors' appointment for Phoebe.
    • Got TJ to get out ground beef for dinner tonight.
    • Met a gal at Dunkin' to do some leggings swapping.
    • Called to tell youth pastor that kids are sick.
    • Called MIL for some calendar checks. Conflicts .
    • Phoebe photographed the new leggings we swapped.
    • Sorted them out, posted new, deleted old.
    • Fixed some glitches in the inventory (holiday).
    • Watched home office update for the week.
    • Took Phoebe to doc. No strep, but sinus/ears.
    • Cancelled chiropractor for tomorrow.
    • Skimmed the bible study homework. Barely.
    • Started the kitchen; someone finished while I was gone .
    • Everyone just kind of fended for themselves for dinner.
    • Picked up Phoebe's Rx (and coffee) at Target.
    • Bible study; or maybe I should say, nap time.
    • Remembered to bring snack, and soda donation for bazaar.
    • Phoebe picked out giveaway leggings and sold stuff.
    • Back home; regrouped, finalized a couple of sales.
    • Downstairs tidy; up-down basket is empty.
    • Got Phoebe tucked into bed. Before 10:30 pm. Not bad.
    • Scheduled the upload for the FB sale.

And with that, I'm done. I mean, I'm not DONE. But I'm calling it a night and starting fresh in the morning. Hopefully a good night's sleep will help.
    Cari in Pa -- Married to Dave for 27 years!
    Mom to nurse Sara (23), married to Mike, almost-teacher Danielle (20), train-boy TJ (16) and my little dancer/soccer goalie Phoebe (13)

Hi All,
    I started a post this afternoon, but I got kicked out. Maybe because I was at ds17's therapy appointment on my phone? Anyway, it was a busy day. I am winding down wishing I had done more, but I need sleep!

Heather- I put your IT on our marker board tonight and I will have the boys read it tomorrow. Brought a tear to my eye.

Angela- I am sorry things have been tough for your boy. You are doing the right thing. We have had challenges, so I understand.

Jen- glad you like my soup- put a smile on my face to hear . I need to get out to PTE soon!

Paige- your puppy sounds like ours...Happy and hyper!
    Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible , and suddenly you are doing the impossible. St. Francis of Assisi
    Phrase 2014: Engage, Embrace, Enjoy