Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuesday DECLUTTERING!

Cari~ go to bed so you don't get run down and sick! Said with love

Michelle~ Your cap organizing sounds cool!

Elizabeth~ We love I Love Lucy too! Such a great comedy!

Cindy- hello! how is the job coming?

Ch1- I plan to clean out our hat/mitten/scarf cupboard tomorrow night. Thanks for the motivation!
    Ch2- We finished our Pirate's Cove game last night. Any fun game ideas for teen boys who love strategy?

Today I did the usual and also took ds17 to his therapy appointment. He goes twice a week for 2 1/2 hours and it has been so worth it. They are putting electrodes on his back and stomach and using deep neuromuscular e stim to make him sit up straight. It's only temporary, but he does get a little carry over when the estim is off. The staff in the fitness center are young and make it fun. He works really hard and I am able to run through his flash cards for psychology while he is getting his treatment.

I'd write more, but I am bushed. Wish I had gotten to more today, but I did get a walk in which was good.

Good night to all!

- - - Updated - - -

Angela-If you think of it, can you please suggest any youtube videos or ? for crocheting and knitting? I am hoping to try one or the other this winter.
    Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible , and suddenly you are doing the impossible. St. Francis of Assisi
    Phrase 2014: Engage, Embrace, Enjoy

Can someone please share amy’s chicken and wild rice soup recipe? That sounds delicious, and I just thought of dh soup for supper — it’s a high of 59 and rainy here today. Perfect soup weather, and I need a new idea!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I managed to get a few things done yesterday, despite having a yucky cold:

-took kids to school
    -Skype call with a potential intern
    -e-mailed multiple potential interns and worked on my schedule for next summer (this took me about 3 hours!)
    -grocery shopped
    -went to the new bean store for beans and canned soup. We now have canned chicken noodle soup and my ds15 is delighted!
    -phonics
    -science audiobook for Hudson
    -turned on a video and an audiobook for history
    -video and a game for math
    -audio book for literature, all of this is how I get a full day of school in when I’m sick (not my regular schedule)
    -picked up kids from school
    -looked at options for a trip back to the USA. I’d like to try to get another visit in with my mom. She had a fever again for awhile, but it looks like it was just a kidney infection and she is doing better. Still, I know that her time is limited.
    -made stir fry and rice for dinner
    -took down some laundry that dh had hung
    -hung some laundry in the living room to dry
    -practiced piano

Today I:
    -took kids to school
    -set up for playgroup
    -hosted preschool playgroup
    -practiced a little piano
    -took dh to the train station
    -a good full day of school with Hudson, we even read Another Celebrated Dancing Bear to go with our Russia study this week
    -picked up kids from school
    -stopped at the pet store for dog food
    -picked up dh
    -made chicken and roasted potatoes and asparagus for dinner
    -quick living room tidy up
    -answered several e-mails
    -took it easy this evening

I’m hoping to go to bed a little early tonight to help get over this darn cold.
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 17 years and Mom to Wesley 14, Adelaide 12 and Hudson 10

Amy's Chicken Wild Rice Soup

2 T butter
    1 T onion chopped
    1⁄4 Cup flour
    4 Cup chicken broth
    2 T dry sherry or white wine
    1⁄3 Cup Water
    2 Cup Cooked wild rice I use Canoe canned
    1⁄2 t Salt
    1 Cup half and half
    1 1⁄2 Cup diced cooked chicken
    2-3 Carrots sliced

In soup pot, Sauté butter, onion, and carrots. Blend flour and water and dilute with broth. Add to pan with onion and carrots. Add rice, salt, chicken and half and half. Add sherry, parsley can also be added. Simmer one hour. Freezes well.
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds

HW - Girl, I was totally not offended by your comment and understood where you were coming from.
    And, yes, I am frustrated and the leader probably is too!

Paige - Thank you so much for the encouragement. I do need to remind myself that the regular public classroom would not be good for him. Honestly, I don't thing the highly lauded local classical christian academy would be good for him either.
    Thank you for the encouragement to keep at it and for sharing anecdotes from your own children. It helps!

Elizabeth - I am sure those severe food allergies are challenging! Food is everywhere! Thanks for your kind words.

Cindy - Thanks so much for your encouragement and experience. I will look into those programs and the things you mentioned. We have been using the downloadable "Teach Your Child to Read with Bob Books" and I think it suits him better than what I used with Ashlyn. We finished the second set of lessons, but are just spending some time practicing before we move onto the third. He is finally starting to recognize some words without sounding, like "and" and "the" which is good!

Cari - Is Phoebe sick?! Praying she gets better soon. The weather has been gloomy here too which is not helpful. :/

Amy - Yes, I can share some websites with you!
    My favorite to learn the basics of crochet is "Crochet School."
    I am just learning to knit, but I have the "Marly Bird" youtube channel to be very helpful. She has lots of videos for both crochet and knit. She has a playlist of her teaching her Mom to knit that I found very useful.
    The LYS (local yarn shop) where I am taking the knitting lessons recommended this web page for knitting. There are dozens of videos here demonstrating different stitches.
    I can give you more links, if these don't suit you - just let me know!

- - - Updated - - -

MIchelle - When I read your comment about your boys' caps, all I could think of was the the lines from "Caps for Sale."
    "first his won checked cap, then the grey caps, then the brown caps, then the blue caps, then the red caps at the very top."
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

That soup is just.so.good. Seriously! And super easy. A lot of times I throw in a can of the canned cooked chicken to make it even quicker.

Angela, I used Reading Made Easy with ds and it was a breeze. It just did not work for dd and last year we switched to All About Reading and she is making steady progress for the first time. I was really resistant to trying it, but I'm so glad we finally did!

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleTN View Post
    Amy's Chicken Wild Rice Soup

2 T butter
    1 T onion chopped
    1⁄4 Cup flour
    4 Cup chicken broth
    2 T dry sherry or white wine
    1⁄3 Cup Water
    2 Cup Cooked wild rice I use Canoe canned
    1⁄2 t Salt
    1 Cup half and half
    1 1⁄2 Cup diced cooked chicken
    2-3 Carrots sliced

In soup pot, Sauté butter, onion, and carrots. Blend flour and water and dilute with broth. Add to pan with onion and carrots. Add rice, salt, chicken and half and half. Add sherry, parsley can also be added. Simmer one hour. Freezes well.
    Would it work well with regular rice? I don't have any wild rice and this sounds good! I'd have to sub it out with non dairy subs, but I think it will work.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work, Elizabeth!