Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday DECLUTTERING!

Default Wednesday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Choose on project or extra item on your to do list that needs doing. This is a week to tackle something out of the norm. It could be hoeing out a closet, deep cleaning something that's been waiting, washing curtains, cleaning a window, etc. Maybe you can choose more than one if they are small nagging items.

School Challenge: Game school challenge! Choose something fun to play and learn with your kids and then organize the game stack when you put them away.

Inspiring Thought:
    To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Emerson

For me today:
    • school time- including morning meeting
    • tidy the first floor- driveway guests are coming (RV family on the road, one we met through One Year Adventure Novel)
    • clean the hall bath shower
    • math plans
    • start a spicy pork roast in the oven- did not put it in the slow cooker last night
    • deposit checks
    • jar the chicken broth
    • blog order
    • play a game- need to finish the one we started last night first (another version of Ticket to Ride)
    • sell coupon books at the mall- they inserted another slot today before robotics time
    • blog work

Happy Wednesday!

I need to get a lunch made and do the work drop, but we are a bit slower this morning. Dh got an emergency work call at 4:30am which disrupted our sleep. But, I am so excited that the sun is out in full today. So nice after so many cloudy days!

Have another go at games. We played a new one called Word a Round yesterday. It's a visual discrimination game where you try to be the first to read a word on the card. The letters are in a circle and depending on which ring you have to read, the letters are spaced either far apart or close together. It's funny how two kids took to it and shouted out words and how another was slow on the uptake as was I. I'm interested in seeing how the long term playability is because once you've seen a word once, it's easier to spot again. We played a bunch of times.

In sad news, my favorite local game store has closed. Dan was doing some birthday shopping and learned it closed at the end of the summer. I loved going in there to see all the games and I did buy in there as well. They were also able to do special ordering for me. That is a big stink.

Have a most excellent day, friends!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Good morning, all

First of all, a soup question from yesterday's thread..... THANKS for the recipe. I'm trying it tonight BUT, do you think I can skip the half and half? I'd really like something with no milk for Ben. I read a couple of other recipes online, and saw one that said she has a recipe that called for milk and flour but cooked hers in the crockpot and then didn't need the "thickening" of the milk and flour. Thoughts?

CINDY -- GREAT thoughts/advice for Angela yesterday. I really enjoyed reading what you had to say. Wise words!

Heather -- sorry about the game store. Which TTR game are you playing now? We LOVE the original version -- the kids got that for Christmas last year. Any recommendations on another good/different/the best alternate version of that game? That might make another good Christmas present for this year. It's quick and fun, which makes it something we can all easily play. We enjoy Catan, but it takes so much longer.....

Elizabeth -- I know the food allergy struggles must be so difficult It sounds like you're doing such a good job with your dd -- I loved the description of the restaurant from a week or two ago

Lindsey -- about your Mom. I hope you can get back for a visit!

Cari -- hope all goes well with the dr today with Phoebe!

Here:
    It's COLD and rainy here today in AL. High of 59 (yes, yes, I know that's not "cold" for many of you, but that's cold here ).
    Definitely trying the Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe for tonight, and I'll get Mattie to make some homemade Honey Oat Rolls

The Jewelry Party went really well last night. I think I had 7 ladies show up, and will have several outside orders.
    My friend (the jewelry lady) brought her son to play with the boys (I told her to), so they had a great time, too.

Uh-oh -- Ben just came downstairs (he just woke up) to tell me that he feels like he's going to throw up Let's hope it's just something passing....

Today we're going to :
    * get some school done Hopefully A LOT of school done!!!
    * Take Cale to mandolin lessons at 11:30
    * while he's there, I'll run to Publix to get wild rice for the soup
    * girls have piano at 3 -- Katie will drive them
    * church at 6, so early supper
    * see if any outside jewelry orders are ready
    * sew some? Gotta re-set up my dining room as my sewing room I cleaned everything up for last night and just moved it all to my bedroom.

Hope ya'll have a super day!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Paige- I love how much you are sewing! As for the soup, yes you can leave out the milk but you might consider an alternative if you want it to have that extra boost of creaminess. You could add corn starch to thicken it.

Ticket to Ride
    - Last night we played the Switzerland version. All the versions are good. Most people go with the Europe edition after US. However, do you have the 1910 expansion for the original game? That is worth having for sure! So, I'd do those two first. You can also add the expansion cards for Europe which add more routes.

Another we like a lot is the Nordic countries. It's for 2-3 players and it's fun. Each different version adds a new mechanic. Europe is harder to play than US and add tunnels. Other games add ferries. Some add passengers. Others add tolls. United Kingdom is hard! But, I love them all.

Work drop is done. Kids are up and I need to make sure they eat before the rest of the day gets going. One has already been at the robotics table.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Good morning!

Y'all, it's cold here, but sunny. I'm glad it's Wednesday, but I can't believe the week is going so fast.

Today, in addition to school and laundry, I have some bills to pay, some gifts to order, and some calls to make. I also have to pick up Mom's dog. A friend kept the dog while Mom was in the hospital, but is going out of town. Mom's too unstable on her feet right now to care for Miss F, and I have to find some place for her to be. She doesn't really like people except Mom, especially not kids, she doesn't like other dogs, and she digs. Other than that she's a nice little beast, but it's hard to find someone that can take her. I hope the PT thinks Mom is ready to have her back. She and Mom miss each other.

Most of the house is in pretty good shape, thanks to the weekend influx of OYAN. I'm hoping to have the energy (physical and otherwise) to tackle the basement.

Enjoy your day, friends!
    Robin, wife for 20 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 18yo Belle; 16yo Kitty; 13yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016: Be her.

Good morning, ladies! My body is still mixed up from the time change -- I'm waking up at 6:30 am every morning, because I had finally gotten myself into consistently getting up at 7:30 am. Problem is, I'm not going to bed any earlier. Sigh. Really, 7 hours of sleep isn't bad, except I'm still running on a major deficit. But tonight is late-night dance, so getting to bed any earlier is probably not realistic.

Paige -- we actually went yesterday. Strep test was negative, but she has a nasty sinus infection and the beginnings of double ear infections. I picked up the antibiotics last night before bible study, but when I had to have TJ come get me, I totally forgot they were still in MY car. We'll be going to pick up my car as soon as TJ is awake. Meanwhile, she's still horribly congested, but slept pretty decently. She's trying to organize her schoolwork into the really must do's and the teacher probably won't notice assignments .

I really SHOULD have been home until 7:15 pm, but now we have to add the car run -- 25 minutes each way -- so that we have two cars. Tonight, we scatter.

So far today:

• Up, showered, dressed, etc. Still sleepy.
    • Made bed; tidied bedroom & bathroom.
    • Collected laundry. Not enough for a load.
    • Put away a pile of clothes in my own room.
    • Sweep of the downstairs; collected dishes.
    • Loaded the dishwasher. All else looks good.
    • Made coffee; going to be a multi-cup day again.
    • Had my quiet time; tried to catch up BSF.
    • Checked texts, emails, FB, etc. Returned some.
    • Fixed some uploading glitches for tonight's FB party.
    • Discussed day's plans with Phoebe.
    • Though about waking TJ, but decided not.

Up next:

• Danielle texted me requesting info; find & text back.
    • Get something to eat. Need to work on the healthy thing.
    • Wake TJ if he's still not up. He'll want to eat before leaving.
    • Get packages ready to ship. There are a lot.
    • Go get my car. Maybe splurge on coffee on the way home.
    • Should really stop and vacuum it out. It's bad.
    • Get everyone focused on schoolwork. That won't be easy.
    • Finish packages that need notes to go with them.
    • Customer correspondence. Follow up on purchases!
    • Go through to-do & filing folders. Filing.
    • Work on organizing inventory photos. Quite messy!
    • Do some research on the cloud and how it works.
    • Check schoolwork status; check any work that needs it.
    • Call health insurance to see if I can appeal claim.
    • Work on budget. That's going to be fun. Not.
    • Early dinner. Yesterday's cheeseburger macaroni.
    • Clean up dinner; probably run dishwasher.
    • Pack up things to do during dance class.
    • Take Phoebe to dance; try to be productive.
    • Back home; regroup and see what's left to do.
    • Probably going to have some FB responding to do.
    • Upload inventory into another FB sals.
    • Downstairs tidy; process up-down basket.
    • Get Phoebe tucked into bed on a timely basis.
    • Final check of any essentials.
    • Tea, prayer time & bed. Wish I could go there now!

That's my day. Easy-peasy, right?
    Cari in Pa -- Married to Dave for 27 years!
    Mom to nurse Sara (23), married to Mike, almost-teacher Danielle (20), train-boy TJ (16) and my little dancer/soccer goalie Phoebe (13)

Good morning!

Paige, I am NOT a cooking person at all, but I would think you would need to add in a little something if you take out the half and half--maybe chicken broth?--just so it's not too dry.

Heather, that game sounds interesting!

Robin, I hope your mom and her doggie can be back together soon!

It's chilly and gray here again--but I think we're going to see some sun again this afternoon! We're home most of the day, which sounds perfect since I'm still not showered.

*laundry--done, but the dryer hose came off AGAIN, so I had to hang the laundry. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I don't think the cats did it these last two times.
    *school
    *our closet--it's attached to the laundry room and I've tossed a load of sheets and a load of towels in there and left them, so I need to tidy!
    *clean guest bath shower/tub
    *15 minutes in the pantry
    *kids' bathroom
    *dinner in the crock pot--trying a new recipe today
    *process hamburger meat
    *Dollar Tree
    *Target
    *dd to gymnastics
    *dd to church
    *ironing
    *check out Carter's/OshKosh sale

Have a great day today, friends!

Paige: Thank you! Is Ben dairy free? If so, does he tolerate soy milk, almond milk, or coconut milk? I am thinking of trying that soup recipe, too, but was planning on subbing unflavored coconut milk and vegan butter.

Heather -- game shop. We had a local owned place that sold games, some crafts & stuffed animals. They closed down too Enjoy the sunshine

Paige -- hope Ben is ok! Glad the party went good

Robin -- hope your mom can have her dog back

Cari -- hope Phoebe feels better

Jen -- that is cool your laundry room attached to your closet

Elizabeth --

Amy -- glad the staff makes ds treatment fun!
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds

Elizabeth — after forever (since infancy) with stomCh issues, we had Ben allergy tested last spring, and he’s allergic to
    Dairy and soy. Soy is minor, and he can tolerate tracings of dairy in some things (like 2 cookies), but real milk in anything is NOT good. He uses almond milk these days

Thanks for the recipe suggestions. I’m going to keep looking at other recipes and compare them and see what to do ....
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

We have sunshine today Breezy & chilly 52 feels like 47. High 56. But so pretty

I told myself I would work in the hall & dining room today. The 2 darkest spots in our house. The dining room wouldn't be as dark but that window is drafty and North side of house so I keep the heavy curtains closed all the time.

Anyway I may find somewhere sunny to work today. It isn't like I don't have plenty of spots to work on

So far:
    • morning stuff
    • saw ds1 off to work
    • sat on porch a few minutes
    • washed load clothes & moved to dryer
    • stripped my bed & sheets into wash
    • dug deer burger from freezer & browned it
    • put chili together in crockpot

Today:
    • school work
    • sheet washing
    • pick a spot
    • keep moving

Have a good one!!

Thought I hit submit almost an hour ago.
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds