Thread: Saturday DECLUTTERING!

Default Saturday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Choose on project or extra item on your to do list that needs doing. This is a week to tackle something out of the norm. It could be hoeing out a closet, deep cleaning something that's been waiting, washing curtains, cleaning a window, etc. Maybe you can choose more than one if they are small nagging items.

School Challenge: Long range planning and prep

Inspiring Thought: Even if hope is just a low ember at night, in the morning you can still start a fire. - Andrew Peterson

For me today:
    • make an early breakfast- done
    • clean the kitchen- partially assigned to E
    • buy a book for R's class
    • blog work
    • call my dad- might chat with him a few minutes before I leave
    • prepare snacks for the day- did that for everyone else this morning, but I need to make a lunch for myself
    • get the trash out
    • FLL competition and dinner out
    • church website update

I was up at 5am and didn't really go back to bed, so I just got up and got started. But, I lost an hour looking for a part of a power cord for the laptop at the competition. Did not find it. I was hoping to get some writing done this morning, but no deal. I wrote a few notes and I still have time, but I also need to finish getting ready to leave at 10:15. Sigh. This always happens when I don't go with them. I still have a job to do here even though I'm not there. And they have another laptop and 2 thumb drives with the programs on them, so good grief.

Played a game with E as well, so that's another reason I haven't written much but that is a good reason!

Hopefully things are going well and they are having fun. It's a high stakes sort of day with lots of energy. We all went into this season just hoping for a good time, but I have a feeling there will still be disappointment if they don't make it to the next level. They did good work, so we will see.

Have a great day!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Good morning, all Happy Saturday!

I'm so thankful that I was able to SLEEP In a bit this morning. Ever since the time change last weekend, I've been waking up by 5:20 and have not been able to go back to sleep. And sometimes, it's been earlier than that. This morning, I actually slept until 6:30 I feel much more refreshed

Heather -- I hear you about the job at home even if you're not with the others Isn't that the role of Mama? Hope you can get some things accomplished today.

Cari -- glad things worked out last night and you were able to escape alone

Here:
    * dh is already off at Tractor Supply. We get at 15% military discount this weekend, and he wasn't going to pass that up, especially when there are things we regularly buy there
    * M. spent the night with a friend last night, and she won't be home until later this afternoon
    * K. is working from 10-2 and will bring M. home
    * I'm already working on laundry
    * Jim has outside tasks (I think) for himself and the boys
    * I'd like the boys to clean out the chicken coop
    * I'd like to start working on the photobooks that I'd like to get made -- I need them THERE so that when there IS a deal I can jump on it
    * we're having friends over for supper tonight -- grilled London Broil. She's bringing mac and cheese and salad. I need to make some veggies and a dessert.
    * House is fairly tidy. We may vacuum again before tonight and tidy a bit, but things are pretty much okay. Kitchen needs some work (as always -- I think we live there ).

Hope ya'll have a GLORIOUS day!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Good morning!

Heather, that's an early start!!

Paige, I need to send dh to Tractor Supply, then!

Ds and I have been up and out to swim practice. I came home and started the laundry and made breakfast, but that's as far as I've gotten.
    *finish up laundry
    *birthday party from 2-4
    *chili in the crock pot
    *ironing
    *planning
    *PTE

I'd like to take dd shopping for some shirts, and I'm thinking we may do that after supper if the boys are watching a movie. Dh just left to go have dinner and see a movie with his dad and uncle. I'd like to maybe sew a little grocery bag holder I saw if I get a chance...we'll see!

Have a great day today, friends!

Good Afternoon!

HeatherW-- I hope everything goes well for the robotics team.

Paige-- Glad you are feeling refreshed today, and able to sleep in.

Jen-- Chili sounds really good right now. I've been trying to warm myself up for the past hour.

Today we had a 4 hour tutoring class from 10 - 2. I was there an hour early though because the paper I received said it started at 9, not 10. 2 of the other ladies had the same paper, so we were all there an hour early. Ugh. Oh, well. It worked out fine, but an extra hour at home would have been nice. The session went well, but the room we were in was gradually losing heat throughout the time we were there. I was SO cold by the time we finished, and then a couple of us stood outside chatting afterwards. Even with my winter coat, I was shivering. I warmed up for the ride home, but our house is colder than the heat in the car. I had it really cranked up! Anyways, I just can't seem to get myself warm. Right now I'm sitting with a long sleeve T, a cable knit sweater, and a blanket wrapped around me. I still have my shoes on and my toes are even still cold. Geesh. I'm about ready to go get the space heater!

I found out today that one of the other tutors has a girl from our homeschool gym and swim class. I talked with the mother back before I started doing the tutoring classes. She was told by 3 different school systems that her daughter would never read. It's hard to imagine that they would come right out and say that. She was getting hardly no help from the school system, and they put her in all spec. ed. classes. So the parents pulled her out so she wouldn't get any farther behind in other subject areas. She's been on the waiting list for the center and finally got in. I'm sure if ds19 would have been in p.s. we would have been told the same thing. It was her story though, coupled with the experience with ds19, that really got me more interested in tutoring. It's a lot of work, but it's good.

Now I need to get busy doing something even though I'm still cold. I put the chicken I baked last night in the oven to warm up. However, when I took the lid off I noticed dh ate half of it for lunch while I was gone. Really? Oh, well. I just told him that's what he's getting for supper too. I need to go put some potatoes on to boil and warm up a veggie. That will have to make up for the small amount of chicken. I ate a bunch of chips and salsa when I got home, even though we had a good lunch there. I think all the shivering took a lot of energy from me.

Have a great evening!
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (2010 homeschool/Cornerstone Univ grad.), Erica (2012 homeschool/culinary/Ashland Univ grad.), Jacob (12th gr.), and Jesse (3rd gr).

Everyone must be keeping themselves busy this evening!

• made supper.... mashed potatoes saved the day.
    • watched Lego Batman with the guys while we ate
    • cleaned up the leftovers
    • washed up some pots and pans, and tidied up the counters
    • put together the overnight broth in the slow cooker
    • started a load of boy laundry

I warmed up while cooking supper, got cold again while watching the movie, warmed back up while cleaning up the kitchen. Now I'm going to snuggle up under a blanket before I get cold again, and read.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (2010 homeschool/Cornerstone Univ grad.), Erica (2012 homeschool/culinary/Ashland Univ grad.), Jacob (12th gr.), and Jesse (3rd gr).

Cindy- I hope you are warm by now!

We had a great day of robotics and the kids did well. They got the top robot score! This is a first for our team. They were over 20 points ahead of the second place team. They also won the teamwork award. However, all of that joy came crashing down when they were not chosen to move on to the next level. It's sort of unheard of for the top performing robot not to be chosen for the regional competition. They were consistent all around. We're not sure what happened, but it was a big, big blow. I have to say I'm sad because this is I's last year and though we had low expectations of this season as a whole given the newness of most of our team, today got their hopes up (and ours) because the programming worked so well. It was solid work. It is a huge disappointment given how well they represented all around today.

J was having migraine activity during the robot design judging and that probably hurt them because he was unable to talk about all the work he'd done to the level that would have shown just how much work he'd done. He recovered after leaving there and getting a med, but that time was lost.

Makes me a little sad to know this is probably our last experience with the teams. We don't think J can handle another season. He had some excellent growth this season in terms of handling working with a team and sticking with a problem he might have wanted to leave behind, but not enough to outweigh the negatives. It was a tough go at times.

We had a silent car ride back to town (about an hour) and listened to an audio book. Then we had dinner at a loud restaurant with the teams and their parents before coming home.

Thankfully, as they head to bed, the boys are happy with their performance though they are deeply disappointed with not going on. It means their season is over and they are free to do other things! There's always a silver lining. Right?

The kitchen dishes were not washed which is a stink.

Oh! And I got the notion to FB video with my dad so he could see the last robot game round. He and my mom watched I and J do their last round together. Other team members were paired with Isaac the first two times. They loved it! They could see just about everything the robot was doing. And then I chatted with them for a while afterward. That was their highest scoring round. So, that was pretty cool.

I am off to relax before turning in. It's been a long, loud day and my introverts are done out!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say this and I want credit!

• Emptied food out of the IP- because I never finished working with it with our guests here and the prep for today
    • loaded and took trash to the outdoor can
    • discovered our guests left trash in our can- including dog doo bags and since our trash is highly regulated, I had to bag it all up and tag it with a trash tag so they'll take it. I'll have to mention that somehow because you can't throw out trash not in a bag and they'll be coming back.
    • chatted with R
    • sat with J

Ok...I'm tired. I sure hope to sleep well tonight!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Heather — great job for your boys and about not moving on. That would be very frustrating. I love the story about letting your parents “watch”. Super sweet!

Cindy. — hope you’ve warmed up! When I get cold like that, I usually go soak in a hot bath I’m
    So glad you’re enjoying the tutoring!

We had a great time with friends tonight. Good food — the London broil was excellent! — and the company was fun. Good ties!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Hello Ladies,

Paige - Glad to hear your dinner and the company were both pleasant!

Cindy - I was cold all day too!

HW - FBing your Dad during the competition was a fun idea! I am sorry to hear the robotics team is not progressing, but it sounds like they did a great job!

We were out of the house most of the day yesterday and outside in the "cold" weather. The high yesterday was in the lower 40s. Two weeks ago,we hit 80F, so it felt really cold.
    We spent the morning at home; pancake breakfast and school planning
    Hannah had her last soccer game of the season. The girls were all bundled up on the field and the parents on the side-lines were bundled up too!
    Then we stopped into Wal-Mart to pick up something for a party and TSC for treats for the chickens.

Then we were home for almost an hour before leaving again for a party. The party was for one of Dan's friends from freshman year of college. She had transferred to a different school by the time I started college there and met Dan. We ran into her at Costco shortly after moving here and have hung outwith them a couple of times. They recently moved from their neighborhood to a place about 5 minutes from us with 5+ acres, mostly wooded. They had a big party today with a roast pig, bounce house, outdoor games etc. I wasn't excited about going because I knew they would be the only people we would know there, but we ended up having a nice time. The kids ran around and played. Dan and I got to hang out together and then we had a nice visit with the hosts before we left.

But, I was COLD all day despite wearing multiple layers, gloves, and a hat!

I have had some interesting conversations with parents of ps kids lately. I'll have to tell y'all about it soon....I gotta run now though because I am on coffee duty at church this morning!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

I spent Friday and Saturday mainly feeling yucky with a bad cold. Hudson had a fever and was sick, too. So we didn't do any schoolwork. Thankfully I felt a little better today. So I:

-got ready for church
    -attended Sunday school
    -attended church and gave the announcements during the service
    -talked with a visitor after the service that is interested in possibly starting a Bible study for Christian families that are apart of my older kid's private school.
    -attended play practice
    -swept the living room
    -folded a load of laundry
    -put away most of the clean clothes
    -worked on Children's church lesson plans for December
    -helped ds type a movie review of the Emoji movie. Saying he was not a fan of the movie would be putting it lightly.
    -practiced piano
    -started a load of laundry

That's about it for me today.

Cindy, arriving an hour early would be frustrating! I'm with Paige, when I can't warm up I take a warm bath.

Heather, I think Hudson would love being a part of a robotics team. But, your right. Sometimes it's not a good fit it is better to move on to other things.

Angela, I'm glad that the party went better than you expected.
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 17 years and Mom to Wesley 14, Adelaide 12 and Hudson 10