Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 45 (November 12th - November 18th)

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    I haven't started it yet, but plan to start Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread in audio format tomorrow in the car.
    Vicki, I've never tried fiction in audio. I don't think it would be easy for me. I have so many books on my Kindle that I can't even remember if I have "A Spool of Blue Thread". If not, I'm quite sure that it's on my wish list.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I started No Longer at Ease, the 2nd book in the African Trilogy. I'm enjoying it, maybe not as much as Things Fall Apart, but I think that's partly because it's set so much later (1950s) that the history is just not that much different than today. The third book is apparently set between these two, time-wise, and is the author's favorite. So my plan is to stick this one out and try to read all three.
    Rebe, I got "Things Fall Apart" yesterday with the sale.
    "A good book is an event in my life" ~ Stendhal, "The Red and the Black"

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Negin -- I've always liked Things Fall Apart (and that's a great kindle price on it!).
    Paige, yes, I try to look out for the amazon sales as often as I can.

    Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I read Me Before You by JoJo Moyes last week. I started out really liking it. It was essentially a bit of a rom-com and a cute story at the beginning. Then it became a platform for "right to die." It was adapted to an award winning movie, and I'm feeling like I missed a memo that everyone else got. If I had known what it was about, I probably wouldn't have read it. But even though I didn't like where the book went, I did enjoy it.
    Now reading Pushing to the Peak by Shelly Templin. Shelly is actually an old friend and neighbor of mine, and Christian former homeschooler. The book is her narrative of her brother Glen's ski accident, devastating injuries, recovery, and journey on to become a doctor specializing in spinal injuries. I'm proud of Shelly for achieving this long held goal to write this book!
    Kathleen, yes, I didn't like "Me Before You" nearly as much as "The Girl You Left Behind".
    "Pushing to the Peak" looks wonderfully inspiring. It seems to have a discount today - only $3.99! I just bought it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    I bought Queen Isabella, also
    Me too.

    Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    Just realized that is book is about a different Isabella than I'd thought! This one is not about the more famous Isabel of Castile, mother of Katherine of Aragon and patroness of Columbus! Ok, so I'll just get to learn about someone new. I have heard of the other Isabella, but don't know much about her.
    I realized this later yesterday also. Different Isabella. As you say, we'll learn something new!
    "A good book is an event in my life" ~ Stendhal, "The Red and the Black"

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I loved that book.

    Vicki -- I almost forgot to ask you (or anyone else, for that matter) -- did you or are you going to see the new Murder on the Orient Express movie?! I want to see it. I would have gone last Friday but had to go see Loving Vincent first before it leaves town (I highly recommend this to anyone who loves art!).
    Rebe, I actually only just found out yesterday that it was even showing! I don't get out to the movies much at all, and don't really watch tv (except Masterpiece, online), so haven't seen any previews. I may have to catch that, although I have to say that it's never been one of my favorites. Too overdone, I guess.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Negin View Post
    Vicki, I've never tried fiction in audio. I don't think it would be easy for me. I have so many books on my Kindle that I can't even remember if I have "A Spool of Blue Thread". If not, I'm quite sure that it's on my wish list.


    Rebe, I got "Things Fall Apart" yesterday with the sale.
    Negin, I have always been resistant to audio books, but discovered last year that I really enjoy them in the car--my commute is about 20-30 min., so I get in a lot of "reading" that way! So far, I'm actually enjoying Spool in audio version--the narrator is doing a great job. That makes all the difference in audio books, I think. Still not sure what the book is about, but it's interesting!
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I just finished A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena. It is a suspense thriller--totally my jam. I knew right away who did it but there were parts that were a surprise. I liked how the story unfolded. This had an unreliable narrator and I usually don't like these kind of stories but I didn't mind this one.

    I am now reading Isadora by Amelia Gray. It is an historical fiction about the dancer, Isidora Duncan, and how she deals with the drownings of her two children.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,837

    Default

    Paige, how about something by Wendell Berry, like Hannah Coulter? His books are clean and this particular one is a beautiful story of a woman's life.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    Negin, I have always been resistant to audio books, but discovered last year that I really enjoy them in the car--my commute is about 20-30 min., so I get in a lot of "reading" that way! So far, I'm actually enjoying Spool in audio version--the narrator is doing a great job. That makes all the difference in audio books, I think. Still not sure what the book is about, but it's interesting!
    Vicki, thank you for the update on Spool. I would love to try out audio books someday. I just don't get much of a chance. Our drives are short in this part of the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    I just finished A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena. It is a suspense thriller--totally my jam. I knew right away who did it but there were parts that were a surprise. I liked how the story unfolded. This had an unreliable narrator and I usually don't like these kind of stories but I didn't mind this one.
    I am now reading Isadora by Amelia Gray. It is an historical fiction about the dancer, Isidora Duncan, and how she deals with the drownings of her two children.
    Julia, I like the sound of both of these.
    "A good book is an event in my life" ~ Stendhal, "The Red and the Black"

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    975

    Default

    I just finished Pushing to the Peak by my friend Shelly Templin. In general, it definitely fits the bill as an inspiration. It makes quite a counterpoint to Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - and reading the two together like this was actually accidentally on my part! While Moyes's character felt sorry for himself and focused on his limits, Shelly's brother Glen became a focused and unstoppable force. He fathered children, became a physician, went skydiving, and even wheeled to the top of Pike's Peak. I'd say that Pushing to the Peak is a good inspiration for anyone in the face of hardship or interested specifically in spinal cord injury and perhaps tangentially in the "right to die" issue.

    Glen reminded me of my childhood friend Mike, who succumbed to cystic fibrosis at the age of 49 a couple of years ago. He endured countless bouts of illness and hospitalizations. He was constantly on multiple medications and close to death many times, undergoing a double-lung transplant as well as a kidney transplant. He vehemently rejected the idea that anyone would consider his life not worth living, and hated that some people chose to abort their CF babies. He played musical instruments and was in high school sports. He went to college, became an engineer, and got a job with a Fortune 500 company. He was married and adopted a child, and was active in his community and church. He would have likely hated Me Before You and probably related strongly with Shelly's brother Glen!
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    One my ds has read this year (11th grade) for American Lit is Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. (I haven't read it myself so I don't know if it would work for your group or not, Paige.)

    (Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I just finished Pushing to the Peak by my friend Shelly Templin. In general, it definitely fits the bill as an inspiration. It makes quite a counterpoint to Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - and reading the two together like this was actually accidentally on my part! While Moyes's character felt sorry for himself and focused on his limits, Shelly's brother Glen became a focused and unstoppable force. He fathered children, became a physician, went skydiving, and even wheeled to the top of Pike's Peak. I'd say that Pushing to the Peak is a good inspiration for anyone in the face of hardship or interested specifically in spinal cord injury and perhaps tangentially in the "right to die" issue.

    Glen reminded me of my childhood friend Mike, who succumbed to cystic fibrosis at the age of 49 a couple of years ago. He endured countless bouts of illness and hospitalizations. He was constantly on multiple medications and close to death many times, undergoing a double-lung transplant as well as a kidney transplant. He vehemently rejected the idea that anyone would consider his life not worth living, and hated that some people chose to abort their CF babies. He played musical instruments and was in high school sports. He went to college, became an engineer, and got a job with a Fortune 500 company. He was married and adopted a child, and was active in his community and church. He would have likely hated Me Before You and probably related strongly with Shelly's brother Glen!
    Wow. I just love your entire post and have read it twice already. What a lovely coincidence that you read both books right after one another. I love reading about your dear friend Mike. People like him and Glen are true inspirations.
    "A good book is an event in my life" ~ Stendhal, "The Red and the Black"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •