Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 45 (November 12th - November 18th)

I would second the caution about Orphan Train, and add that there are some issues with s. abuse as well. Probably not a good idea for your crowd. I know it's not your job to push the envelope, and certainly I try to protect my kids in an age-appropriate way with what they read. But it might be worth encouraging parents to think about helping their kids begin to deal with some of these works that are more challenging, in an environment where they aren't going to have "liberal" views attached to them. If they are in high school and haven't yet learned how to grapple with this stuff in a classroom, they are going to fall to pieces in a college classroom! I'm sure you know that, but just a thought.

Now, of my soap box. I think Brown Girl Dreaming would be great, and give you a different genre. Their Eyes Were Watching God is good, but does have a bit of "content" (nothing too intense, though). You could do some Langston Hughes poetry as well.

Here are a few others to consider:

>To Kill a Mockingbird
    >Little Women or Little Men
    >Kate Chopin's The Awakening
    >Sarah Orne Jewett's A White Heron and other Stories
    >Some shorts by Charles Chesnutt (an African-American writer who "passed" as white to start his career--great stuff!) (See The Conjure Woman and other Conjure Tales)
    >Henry James' Daisy Miller
    >The Great Gatsby
    >Maxine Hong Kingston's "No Name Woman" (short story); I would recommend her Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood among Ghosts, but wonder if the "ghosts" idea would set off alarms for some of your parents! (Context is so important, don't you think?)
    >Amy Tan, The Joy Luck Club (although I can't remember if there is inappropriate content, so read reviews first!)
    >Julia Alvarez has some shorts that might work (and maybe How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents, but I haven't read it so don't know if there are any racy bits)

Wow--it's really hard to find modern American lit without any questionable material! Especially novels--I just realized looking over my list that many aren't, so not sure how helpful this will be. I knew there was a reason I prefer British lit! Good luck--and hope this sparks some ideas.
    Last edited by Vicki P in VA; 11-13-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

Hi friends!

I read Me Before You by JoJo Moyes last week. I started out really liking it. It was essentially a bit of a rom-com and a cute story at the beginning. Then it became a platform for "right to die." It was adapted to an award winning movie, and I'm feeling like I missed a memo that everyone else got. If I had known what it was about, I probably wouldn't have read it. But even though I didn't like where the book went, I did enjoy it.

Now reading Pushing to the Peak by Shelly Templin. Shelly is actually an old friend and neighbor of mine, and Christian former homeschooler. The book is her narrative of her brother Glen's ski accident, devastating injuries, recovery, and journey on to become a doctor specializing in spinal injuries. I'm proud of Shelly for achieving this long held goal to write this book!
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Negin -- thanks for linking the sale books on Amazon! I bought Queen Isabella. I recently finished watching the Isabel series on RTVE (Spain's PBS equivalent). While Isabel was generally presented as a sympathetic and favorable character, there was a lot of effort to portray people and events accurately with the understanding that many of the events of that era were presented from the world view of the time (i.e. the Inquisition would cause God to show more favor to Spain in critical defense and security issues of the time.) I'll be interested in how the two accounts compare.

I love American Lit, but it's pretty harsh and negative sometimes, and very male-oriented in the beginning. So few women writers in early years -- I suppose that was because there was not much leisure time for women in the early days of America, maybe. What about Willa Cather? My Antonia or O Pioneers? I haven't read them in years, so I don't remember the details of them very much.

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I read Me Before You by JoJo Moyes last week. I started out really liking it. It was essentially a bit of a rom-com and a cute story at the beginning. Then it became a platform for "right to die." It was adapted to an award winning movie, and I'm feeling like I missed a memo that everyone else got.
    Did you miss the FB uproar on that movie, about glorifying suicide? I didn't hear that it won awards, though.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Thanks for all the book thoughts
    Vicki -- you know that *I* know exactly what you're talking about, and most everything I'd be fine with the 11th and 12th graders reading, but probably not most 9th graders, and I know some moms definitely wouldn't be, so I'd rather keep it as a "group" as much as I can.

Negin -- I agree about the book links I bought Queen Isabella, also
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Paige, Am. Lit. is hard when you have families with sensitivities. Maybe if you compile a list of possible titles with themes and possible objectionable happenings and let the families choose. The titles that come to mind are:
    The Great Gatsby (physical abuse, murder, marital affair)
    To Kill a Mockingbird (alleged rape, racism)
    The Chosen (I'm not sure if this one has issues cause I have just started this one with my son. I am liking it so far.)
    Jayber Crow (Haven't read this one yet but it keeps popping into my head)
    Lantern in Her Hand (read this one a long time ago so can't remember if there is anything objectionable in it but I remember thinking it was Little House for older people)
    News of the World by Paulette Jiles (this was released last year but it is set in the 1800s. It is about a man who goes from town to town telling the news. He is given a young girl who was taken from her family by natives and he is asked to take the girl back to her family. I read this to my teens and they loved it.)

That is all that I can think of off the top of my head. If other titles pop up I will let you know.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

I just thought of another one: Peace Like a River. It has some magical realism in it but it is a book about miracles. A character is in jail for murder, though, I think. So that might not work. This book was written about 10 years ago
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

I wrapped up Bk2 in Lynn Austin's God & King series as well as Until We Have Faces by CS Lewis.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post

Did you miss the FB uproar on that movie, about glorifying suicide? I didn't hear that it won awards, though.
    Yep! Clearly something else was going on in my life at that point!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Negin -- I agree about the book links I bought Queen Isabella, also
    Just realized that is book is about a different Isabella than I'd thought! This one is not about the more famous Isabel of Castile, mother of Katherine of Aragon and patroness of Columbus! Ok, so I'll just get to learn about someone new. I have heard of the other Isabella, but don't know much about her.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    I just thought of another one: Peace Like a River. It has some magical realism in it but it is a book about miracles. A character is in jail for murder, though, I think. So that might not work. This book was written about 10 years ago
    I loved that book.

Vicki -- I almost forgot to ask you (or anyone else, for that matter) -- did you or are you going to see the new Murder on the Orient Express movie?! I want to see it. I would have gone last Friday but had to go see Loving Vincent first before it leaves town (I highly recommend this to anyone who loves art!).
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry