Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday DECLUTTERING!

Default Tuesday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Entryways, foyers, mudrooms, and laundry areas- clean them out, organize, pick up, and make these better spaces.

School Challenge: Book challenge! Bring out new ones, read together, narrate, organize, library business.

Inspiring Thought: A child who has learned to process information through narration, even if he is not a naturally gifted writer, will be comfortable both thinking and writing. - Mere Motherhood

For me today:
    • PTE/grocery store
    • morning meeting
    • assign reading to the boys
    • chemistry- time to help R cross the finish line and it will be this week
    • art project- need to see which one we'll do
    • laundry
    • school planning/update planner
    • call my dad
    • give R her list of project options for American Government
    • blog work
    • have R put pie crust making on her calendar- before next week (and we'll freeze it. She has two made already)
    • check into registration for R's second semester class

After getting food into the house in just a bit, I will be focusing on getting a groove back with our normal schooling. Now that the robotics season has ended, we can fall back into our regular routine. That might take some effort.

I thought you all might appreciate today's IT. The book, Mere Motherhood, sort of distills homeschooling down to its most essential items and narration- both written and oral is at the very top of the list. It might even come in behind reading aloud. But, it's a simple tool to use with kids of any age and it can be done whether your school day is glorious or on the run. And FIAR books lend themselves well to narration in both forms.

AR- tell me more about your CM style exams!

Have a wonderful day!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

small door.jpg

I thought you all might enjoy a look at our cheery front door this morning.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Good morning!

Amy! I'm finding teen boys can be a rough ride some days. I'm praying today is a better day for you both!

Heather, the door looks great! I have started The Life-Giving Table, but I'm going slow!

Yesterday was almost all at home, with the exception of 4H, which was great. The towels are dry and scratchy, which is what I don't like about hanging them, but at least they are dry. It's been cold and damp, so things have to be inside, but I put them in the craft room on a hanging rack with the fan on, so it worked out okay. I told dh to take his time on thinking of what to try next since we have enough clean stuff to last a few days.

Today we will be out most of the day. Boo!!
    *laundry--washed already and put dh's pants and shirt up to dry
    *grocery pick up
    *pack lunches
    *pack school
    *IEW/school with dd
    *work on choosing Christmas card pics
    *PE
    *library
    *swimming
    *ironing
    *15 minutes on the craft room
    *trash/recycling out

It's gray and drizzly out again. I need to see some sunshine! I don't mind this kind of weather if I can stay home and read, but it's hard to go out in it day after day!

Have a great day today, friends!

Good Morning Ladies

HW _ The front door looks very nice!

I just finished a post on Monday's thread about the public school conversations I have had lately.

CM-style exams. Okay, I'm not a pro at this, but this is what I understand/do.
    CM had her school year divided up into three 12 week terms. At the end of each term was a week of "exams" that gave the opportunity for the child to show what they had learned. The other main goal of the exams was that it gave/gives the teacher an opportunity to evaluate the program and the living books that she has chosen. Has she neglected an area of study with her students? Are their gaping holes that need to be addressed? Are the books chosen engaging? etc.
    The exams aren't graded in the traditional sense, but they are looked at to see if the student is making good progress.

Basically, the child is given the opportunity to give a narration of all of their other narrations during exam week.
    For younger kids the questions are generally like:
    Tell me all you know about xyz.
    Choose you favorite Monet painting we studied and describe it.
    Choose an aesop's fable and retell it.
    Tell me the story of either the Plymoth colony or the Jamestown colony.
    Choose a line of poetry from Robert Louis Stevenson and copy it in your best handwriting.
    Tell me all you know about one of the plants we identified in the front yard.

When the kids are younger, they dictate almost all of their answers. As they get older, they transition to writing them themselves.
    Ideally, it gives the students a sense of accomplishment to recognize all that they have learned throughout the term.

Here is a link to one of CM's exam programs.
    We do not reach this ideal in our home, or haven't yet.
    I do think it is a nice way to wrap up a term and once the kids realize the exams are coming, they begin to look forward to the telling.
    Last year, I videoed a couple of their oral narrations and their recitations, which they thought was fun.

- - - Updated - - -

CH1: I didn't get to this yesterday.

CH2: I need to gather the library books today.
    I also need to order L and H each a book for a Christmas gift. I think I know what I am getting them, I just need to do it!

IT: I really hope this is true because we have started to invest a lot of time in narrating with the CM-method.
    I have definitely seen gains with Ashlyn in her writing this past year. Hannah is still resistant, but she can do it well, when she wants to.
    Logan is still working on his oral narration. It can be a struggle for him.

so far:
    Dan had to leave for work at 3:15am. I woke up when he was getting ready and then went back to sleep.
    Bible time for me
    e-mails etc.

up next:
    breakfast
    exercise
    school
    grocery store for pie
    dinner?

Tonight, is the monthly women's meeting at church. The ladies that usually help me set up can not today, so it is all me! I also need to pick up a couple more desserts.
    I hope Dan gets home in time for me to get there early.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Good morning!

Heather -- I do like that quote! Maybe I need to add that book to my Christmas Wish List......

Angela -- I enjoyed reading your ps thoughts/comments you've overheard recently. I think you made a very wise observation with your last sentence -- " Again, it just made me think that while I can't offer my kids everything the ps can offer, there are some very important things that we can do well at home that are lost in the ps system." And, from a past-middle-school and now high-school SOCIAL perspective, I'm glad I can't offer my kids all the ps can Girls ARE mean and vicious. It's often hard enough among Christian hs friends; I would think it would be that much more difficult among "the world."

AMY -- so sorry to hear the criticism from your ds. I know that's hurtful. Praying ya'll can over this and come to a better understanding

Cindy -- glad you got a lot accomplished last night

Today:
    * laundry -- I need to strip our bed and do some towels
    * SCHOOL -- everyone is home ALL DAY today I'm hoping that doesn't change, and I'm hoping we can get a lot accomplished!
    * vacuum downstairs
    * bathrooms? They didn't get fully cleaned last week. HMMMMMMMM.
    * what's for supper???? Dh is teaching tonight, so it doesn't have to be anything elaborate -- he won't want a "full" meal when he gets home. I may do cinnamon rolls and scrambled eggs. We'll see if the kids want that.
    * finish my book -- I started re-reading Orphan Train hoping it would be appropriate for my class. NOPE. There's a very descriptive r@pe scene I'd completely forgotten about. UGH! I may order the YA version (Orphan Girl) and read it and see if it would just gloss over that and would get rid of some of the language....
    -- BTW, thanks for the suggestions for books/short stories. I may do some short story collections by author -- Poe, Irving, etc. Jen, I like the Flannery O'Connor idea, too. I enjoyed her short stories. I might have read Wise Blood once upon a time for a Southern Lit class, but I cannot remember it at all. Heather, we are doing Mark Twain (Huck Finn), and we did The Scarlet Letter. Other than Twain, I really don't remember enjoying much Am. Lit other than some of the modern works, and it seems that most of those are inappropriate for the younger crowd

That's it for now.
    Ya'll have a great day!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Amy - . Praying for you friend.

Paige - Yes, agreed! Thanks for the encouragement.
    I loved "Mere Motherhood." Loved it. It doesn't have tons of practical tips in it, but I found it very encouraging. It is basically Cindy Rollins' memoirs of motherhood and homeschooling.

Life-Giving Table - I don't have it, but it is on my wish-list.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Amy -- teen boys often say things they don't mean or can be just plain hateful. I think a lot of it is their body and brain are changing but not at the same time and it is confusing for them. The things said can be very hurtful to a mama's heart. Praying for yall!
    Also WTG on the cleaning out the cabinet

Lindsey -- WAHOO! How long will you be in the USA?I

Heather -- love that you picked up flowers and hope you have a restful rest of week. Yeah I was confused about the blocks. Never even crossed my mind would come like that. Picture showed a little girl building with them.

Jen -- is the hose attachment piece messed up? Is that why it won't stay on?

Cindy -- that is scary!!!

Paige -- we had meatloaf for supper last night too...and peas

Robin -- a puppy

Angela -- I think you are doing great with your dc. And I agree kids can be mean! I am not around girl teen drama much but I hear some of the boy teen drama (neighbor boys). It is crazy.
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds

Mere Motherhood- The beginning doesn't say a lot, but I think the author packs all the advice into the last few chapters. And she hammers just a few points right on home. What I think is fabulous about the book is how it's got something for every stage of motherhood from the point of view of a mom whose kids are grown. I thought she did a fantastic job at explaining morning time and the reason to do it. It's one thing to read about all the lofty things people try to have their kids memorize, but I thought her approach was so much more reasonable. It's not about memorizing as much as it is remembering. And we remember what we repeatedly do. That was a nice thought for me. And all these big things you might want your kids to do, don't need to be done in huge chunks. I listened to a podcast where she talked about reading Plutarch's Lives with her kids and the language was so dense, she might only get one or two sentences out a day. BUT, they had exposure.

Plus, she talks about not needing lots of plans but just picking up books and reading them. Sometimes we think we need so much to be "ready". I think it ruins homeschools sometimes. Just like FIAR! You don't need much but the book and the manual. We make it so much harder than it needs to be sometimes. I do a science talk on that for parents. It's a good one!

Paige- what ages are these kids again? I'm surprised you got away with The Scarlett Letter! I would definitely try short stories. Ethan took two short story classes at our co-op. There were a few we really liked. Also, you have Cover Story, don't you? There's a nice list of short stories in there. Our favorite was probably, Xingu by Edith Wharton. That is SUCH a great story! As for Poe, we read The Oval Portrait and Masque of the Red Death.

The update here is that I'm not going to the grocery store. The battery on the van is dead. Not sure why. Maybe one of our remote starters was clicking all night leaned up against something. I just put my fob back on my key ring after taking it off for the spring and summer. Thankfully, we have a trickle charger which Dan just hooked up to the car battery and plugged in out in the garage. He had it for his Saturn because he rarely drove it and the battery would decline as a result of not being driven. Every now and then he'd put it on the trickle charger to keep it charged.

Anyway, he'll check it when he gets home and he took the bus to work.

Another vote for Mere Motherhood here! I LOVE that book!

Michelle, I'm not sure what's going on with it. We thought that cats knocked it off, but now that it keeps happening, I don't know if they did it originally or if it just started up. But for some reason it keeps coming off. Poor dh is so frustrated with it!!

I just got back from picking up the groceries and finished listening to Teaching from Rest again while I was out doing that. I can't tell you how much I love grocery pick up!!!

Now I need to get a move on and get things packed up. I may try to brown some hamburger meat for tonight, too.

Heather -- love your cheery door!! Hope the van charges good and nothing major wrong.

Paige -- YAY for home day!!

Jen --Christmas card pics I need to think on that too.

Angela -- hope someone can help you set up today!

GOOD MORNING!
    Beautiful sunshine but it is chilly. Feels like 35! This is not normal temps for us at this time of year.

Christmas cards.....Ds1 has said he was going to let his beard and hair grow all winter. He got his last cut & trim on Nov 2. If I want decent pics I better be thinking

I don't really want him to let everything grow. I told him he is young and good looking. When he gets to be an old man like his dad it would be ok to grow it out. Dh was sitting there when I said this. Dh said ...hey what do you mean old man? I just gave him a ....well you are...kind of look

All that to say. I am not going to give him to much flack over his hair. It is only hair. He is a good kid/young man. There is so much more he could be "trying".
    So if I post pics this winter of a grizzly bear...it is probably just ds1

Today:
    • figure out hanging rack situation
    • store
    • pick a spot & work
    • chicken & dumplings for supper

I was going to wait on store but ds1 needs some glue for his work boots. He dropped something and it poked a hole in his boot. Thankful for him having on boots

This post has taken forever...talking to boys. I need to get moving.

Have a GREAT day!!
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds