Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 48 (November 26th - December 2nd)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,548

    Default Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 48 (November 26th - December 2nd)

    everyone. Please share what you've been reading.

    I'm still plodding my way through The Agony and The Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo (it's over 700 pages). I enjoy some parts, but so far there far too many details that don't interest me that much. I hope to finish it by next week.

    "Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    I finished my book of short stories (finally getting the "ending" to the Jim the Boy books -- which was poignant and perfect). With the library being closed Thursday and Friday, I had to find my next book among my own stacks, and suddenly I found myself wanting to read a quick thriller before I begin my Advent reading. So I've started Airframe by Michael Crichton. Haven't read of book of his in years and years (Sphere is the best one, IMO), and it's pretty much like I remembered his books to be. Flat characters that move at a breakneck, thrilling pace through a very technical, exciting plot. It's fun reading for this week.

    One fun thing about it is that it's cutting edge for 1996: there are pagers, car phones, etc.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,852

    Default

    What books do you like to read at Christmastime? (I had fiction in mind)

    I’ll start. Because I find Miss Read books so relaxing, I always reread Miss Read’s Christmas Tales and No Holly for Miss Quinn. Sometimes I reread Pilgrim’s Inn by Elizabeth Goudge because it’s mostly about Christmas. I always TRY to find time to read A Christmas Carol but we always watch Muppet Christmas Carol, so that’s usually all I do.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Wow, Negin!! 700 pages? I am in awe that you are sticking with it. Yay for you!

    Joy, I don't usually have anything particular that I read during the Christmas season but I always make sure that there is lots to read. Our library closes for two weeks over Christmas so in years past I would order books like a crazed woman to make sure I had enough to read. I don't think I will be doing that this year as I have accumulated an over abundance of books on my ereader so I think I am good this year.

    Today, i finished Liturgy in the Ordinary by Tish Harrison Warren. It is a Christian non-fiction about living in the slow of the everyday. I found it to be very well-written and has given me much food for thought. I am currently reading a Donna Leon mystery, Sea of Troubles. This is my first book by her. Waiting in the wings is the new book by Tom Hanks. I don't have high expectations for it. It is a compilation of short stories and that is not my favourite genre. We will see.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    What books do you like to read at Christmastime?
    This is the book I return to year after year. If I could keep only one Christmas book, it would be this one: A Family Christmas. Beautiful selections, beautiful illustrations.

    I also ordered some Christmas mysteries this year. I have one with four stories by P.D. James, The Mistletoe Murderhttps://www.basbleu.com/?action=DETA...7592&rrec=true, and one by Georgette Heyer (who usually writes Regency romances), A Christmas Partyhttps://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Par...eyer+christmas.

    I ordered this one, too: Christmas in Whitehttps://www.basbleu.com/cgi-bin/haze...IL&ITEM=UM7672.

    I often get a new Advent book each year (if I can find a good one), and I'm excited about this one: The Handel's Messiah Family Advent Readerhttps://www.amazon.com/Handels-Messi...=handel+advent.

    (Not sure why my links aren't quite right -- but they're there, at least!)
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I've started Airframe by Michael Crichton. Haven't read of book of his in years and years (Sphere is the best one, IMO)
    Rebe, I don't think that I've read "Airframe". I'm pretty sure that I haven't read "Sphere", so I'm adding it to my list.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    I’ll start. Because I find Miss Read books so relaxing, I always reread Miss Read’s Christmas Tales and No Holly for Miss Quinn. Sometimes I reread Pilgrim’s Inn by Elizabeth Goudge because it’s mostly about Christmas. I always TRY to find time to read A Christmas Carol but we always watch Muppet Christmas Carol, so that’s usually all I do.
    I love "A Christmas Carol" and we always enjoy the Muppets one as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    Wow, Negin!! 700 pages? I am in awe that you are sticking with it. Yay for you!
    Today, i finished Liturgy in the Ordinary by Tish Harrison Warren. It is a Christian non-fiction about living in the slow of the everyday. I found it to be very well-written and has given me much food for thought. I am currently reading a Donna Leon mystery, Sea of Troubles. This is my first book by her. Waiting in the wings is the new book by Tom Hanks. I don't have high expectations for it. It is a compilation of short stories and that is not my favourite genre. We will see.
    Julia, I'm amazed at myself for sticking with it also . There are parts that I definitely am enjoying, but again, some parts just drag on.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Tom Hanks book. I'm not much into short stories either, but I do like Tom Hanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    This is the book I return to year after year. If I could keep only one Christmas book, it would be this one: A Family Christmas. Beautiful selections, beautiful illustrations.
    I also ordered some Christmas mysteries this year. I have one with four stories by P.D. James, The Mistletoe Murderhttps://www.basbleu.com/?action=DETA...7592&rrec=true, and one by Georgette Heyer (who usually writes Regency romances), A Christmas Partyhttps://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Par...eyer+christmas.
    I ordered this one, too: Christmas in Whitehttps://www.basbleu.com/cgi-bin/haze...IL&ITEM=UM7672.
    I often get a new Advent book each year (if I can find a good one), and I'm excited about this one: The Handel's Messiah Family Advent Readerhttps://www.amazon.com/Handels-Messi...=handel+advent.
    (Not sure why my links aren't quite right -- but they're there, at least!)
    Rebe, I always enjoy hearing about your Advent books.
    "Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,548

    Default

    "Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Books I've finished recently, as in this past week. Yay Thanksgiving break!

    Sober Mercies by Heather Harpham Kopp. Someone recommended it years ago, I started it well over a year ago, and finally finished it this week. It's a true story of the authors struggle for sobriety, all holding up the facade of the "perfect" Christian. It was a good read.

    The Seabound Chronicles, three in the series, by Jordan Rivet. Julie Young's daughter, Shannon wrote these under her pen name. I read one book a day. Did I mention I enjoyed having a week off for Thanksgiving? They were good, escapist reads. Again, I had these on my Kindle for awhile but didn't start them until a few days ago.

    The Marketing of Evil by David Kupelian. I read this alongside my teens for their school assignment. I liked the book, and it brought up good discussions. Caveat, if you lean more liberal, you won't like this book.

    The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx. I read this alongside my teens as well, for a worldview class I'm teaching. I had never read it before. I can't say I liked it, but I do think it's important to understand where the progressive doctrine comes from.

    I've started a few more books to read along with my teens for school, Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry, Science Matters by Robert M. Hazen Now to find another one for me to just sit and read for fun.
    Linda wife to Mark, Mommy to Emily, 20 Anna 18, Rebecca 16, Samuel 14, Jacob 11, and Katie 8,
    Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.
    Steven Wright

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I was trying to remember where I had heard about Caroline. It was here!! Also, the newest book in the Inspector Gamache series, Glass Houses, is on sale for Kindle users. I am a big Louise Penny fan so I was quite excited to see this pop up in my inbox today.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    I was trying to remember where I had heard about Caroline. It was here!! Also, the newest book in the Inspector Gamache series, Glass Houses, is on sale for Kindle users. I am a big Louise Penny fan so I was quite excited to see this pop up in my inbox today.
    I first heard about Louise Penny from Top Shelf Text on IG. She was raving about the author and this book. So I got the first book in the series, read it in a day and bought the next one. I was holding out on this one, wanting to read them in order.
    Linda wife to Mark, Mommy to Emily, 20 Anna 18, Rebecca 16, Samuel 14, Jacob 11, and Katie 8,
    Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.
    Steven Wright

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •