Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 48 (November 26th - December 2nd)

I binge watched The Man in the High Castle Season 1 on Amazon Prime instead of reading! Ok, so I am finding that Isabella book to be kind of interesting and mostly an effective way to drift off to sleep...

Thanks for posting Kindle sale books! I picked up Caroline.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

"Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    The Marketing of Evil by David Kupelian. I read this alongside my teens for their school assignment. I liked the book, and it brought up good discussions. Caveat, if you lean more liberal, you won't like this book.
    The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx. I read this alongside my teens as well, for a worldview class I'm teaching. I had never read it before. I can't say I liked it, but I do think it's important to understand where the progressive doctrine comes from.
    Linda, you've been reading some interesting books. I can't imagine liking "The Communist Manifesto" either. Not one bit, but I agree that it's important to understand it. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    I was trying to remember where I had heard about Caroline. It was here!! Also, the newest book in the Inspector Gamache series, Glass Houses, is on sale for Kindle users. I am a big Louise Penny fan so I was quite excited to see this pop up in my inbox today.
    Julia, I have yet to read anything by Louse Penny. I may have tried the first book several years ago, but I think my timing was off. I may give her another go.

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I binge watched The Man in the High Castle Season 1 on Amazon Prime instead of reading! Ok, so I am finding that Isabella book to be kind of interesting and mostly an effective way to drift off to sleep...
    Thanks for posting Kindle sale books! I picked up Caroline.
    Kathleen, we're always looking for good shows. May look into "The Man in the High Castle".

Hello, all! I'm new to this thread and wanted to tell you ladies that you have inspired me to get back into reading. It's been far too long! I'm starting off with A Study in Scarlet. How in the world did I make it to almost-30 without ever reading these books (and so many other important classics)??

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica in WV View Post
    Hello, all! I'm new to this thread and wanted to tell you ladies that you have inspired me to get back into reading. It's been far too long! I'm starting off with A Study in Scarlet. How in the world did I make it to almost-30 without ever reading these books (and so many other important classics)??
    Jessica, welcome to this thread! I haven't yet read all of the classics that I want to either and I'm almost 50 :lol.

The Girl with Seven Names on sale today.

Negin, I did not like the first three books but I kept plugging along because everyone raved about this series. I finally hit my stride with the 4th one. I have read that many people have had the same experience as I did. I am getting ready to read #9 and it has taken me almost six years to get here. Slow and steady.

Jessica, welcome to the group! I was in my early 40's when I read A Study in Scarlet. It doesn't matter when you read the classics, it only matters that you do.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

Since I promised ds I would read the entire Harry Potter series this year, I'd better get cracking as the year is almost finished!

I've now started book 6. So far, I like it the best of the ones I've read.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    Negin, I did not like the first three books but I kept plugging along because everyone raved about this series. I finally hit my stride with the 4th one. I have read that many people have had the same experience as I did. I am getting ready to read #9 and it has taken me almost six years to get here. Slow and steady.
    Good to know, Julia. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    Since I promised ds I would read the entire Harry Potter series this year, I'd better get cracking as the year is almost finished!
    I've now started book 6. So far, I like it the best of the ones I've read.

Nice to see you post, Stacia. I've missed you.

Two kindle books on sale today:

Slouching Towards Bethlehem

Different Class - which should be read after her other book "Gentlemen and Players"