Thread: Catan question

Default Catan question

We have the original settlers of catan, and my boys love it. Which version should I get next?

Is the next version called an expansion pack, or does it have a whole new board, etc?

Thanks!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

The expansions are just that- expansions. You need the original game to play. Plus, you probably have the expansion set that allows you to play with 5-6 players.

The best expansion is Cities & Knights. Hands down. In fact, it's the only way we really play Catan anymore.

We also have Traders & Barbarians and Seafarers. I know there are more that we don't have, but Cities and Knights is the most fun. You'll need it and the 5-6 player expansion for it as well.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

We have Traders & Barbarians & Seafarers.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra AU View Post
    We have Traders & Barbarians & Seafarers.
    Kendra, do you like them? Play them? Which is best?

Heather — thank you!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Kendra, do you like them? Play them? Which is best?
    Okay, true confession here.. Catan is not my favourite game. I prefer Carcassan which I could play for days on end without batting an eye & am desperate for the Big 5 Box expansions, all though we own SEVERAL others.

Having said that the guys all LOVE Catan & they love the expansion pack as well. Hubs loves Catan so much we threw him a Catan birthday party where we made a cake like a Catan board game {cupcakes actually} & we had company bring their own Catan games so we could have several games going at once without having to splurge without anyone being left out.

The only child up votes for Seafarers, hubby votes for anything Catan related..

ETA: If I remember correctly I went with Seafarers as an expansion pack merely because it had SO MANY different ways to play it & I figured it was good value. Games are VERY expensive here so I always go for ones that will give us the most value for the cost of what I'm paying.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.