Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 49 (December 3rd - December 9th)

Default Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 49 (December 3rd - December 9th)

I hope that it’s been an enjoyable reading week for all.

I finally finished The Agony and the Ecstasy - 3 Stars - This is a thoroughly well-researched historical novel about the life of Michelangelo. What an incredible time in history! Michelangelo was definitely passionate and driven when it came to his art. He finished the Pietà when he was just twenty-five years old! This depicts the body of Christ on the lap of his mother Mary after the Crucifixion.

Detail of Pietà

He finished the statue of David before he was thirty.

Sculpting marble was what he loved most and most of his works were sculptures. He painted the Sistine ceiling alone over a four-year period. He felt driven by God to create.

He also had to face many challenges – and I assume that’s what “The Agony” part of the title is referring to. His obstacles included: his money-grubbing family members and all their demands, pettiness, and drama; his own financial troubles; various corrupt popes; as well as wars. I was amazed that he managed to get much done with all the craziness around him.

I can’t recommend this book unless if you’re eager to learn about Michelangelo, that period of time in history, or if you just love art history. It got excessively long (more than 700 pages long) and I felt bogged down by way too many repetitive details. However, for me it’s not the length that bothered me. When it comes to loving books, length is never an issue. In fact, if I love a book, I don’t want it to end. This book just didn’t draw me in the way that I had hoped. Am I happy that I read it? Yes. Did I love it? Not necessarily.

Some of my favorite quotes:
    “God was the first sculptor; He made the first figure: man. And when He wanted to give His laws, what material did He use? Stone.”

“The Tuscan treats stone with the tenderness that a lover reserves for his sweetheart.”

“He had always loved God. In his darkest hours he cried out, ‘God did not create us to abandon us.’ His faith in God sustained him; and now he must make manifest to the world who God was, what he looked and felt like, wherein lay His divine power and grace. His God must not be special or peculiar or particular, but God the Father to all men, one whom they could accept, honor, adore.”

I came across this picture of a bookshop in the Cotswolds area of England. I remembered that we visited there two summers ago. I love bookshops, especially unique ones like this.

This week, we're all excited since a book ship will be visiting Grenada! They haven't been here in seven years.

MY RATING SYSTEM
    5 Stars
    Fantastic, couldn't put it down
    4 Stars
    Really Good
    3 Stars
    Enjoyable
    2 Stars
    Just Okay – nothing to write home about
    1 Star
    Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.
    Last edited by Negin; 12-03-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    "Give me a room whose every nook is dedicated to a book." - Robert Southey

Yay for you, Negin!! I am impressed that you finished it!

I read Swing Time by Zadie Smith this week. It started out good and then fell apart soon thereafter. I was disappointed. There has been a lot of buzz about this book but it did not reach my expectations at all.

I am currently reading two mysteries. 1) Silent in the Grave, a Lady Julia Grey Mystery by Deanna Raybourn. This is the first in the series and I think I will be reading more. 2) How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny, this is the 9th book in the Inspector Gamache series. I'm only on page 17 so the jury is still out on whether it is good or not.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (16) and dd (14)

I'm still working on Harry Potter 6.

And, I started Skipping Christmas today (because my book club is reading it, but the meeting is tomorrow, so....). Not sure if I'll finish it. I know it's supposed to be funny, but I'm not finding it funny so far. Maybe I'm just not far enough into it yet?

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

No time to reply properly this morning, but hope to later.

The Club Dumas is on sale today.

Negin, what exactly is a book ship? An extremely large aquatic bookmobile?? That looks very exciting!

Glad to see your detailed review of the Irving Stone book. If I was to read one, it would be Lust for Life -- but the length is daunting! I do love art history, though...

I about halfway through the Georgette Heyer mystery, A Christmas Party. It's amusing and fun. She is no Agatha Christie, that's for sure. But it does have humor, despicable characters, and a locked-room mystery that seems to easy to me at this point but I could be wrong about the solution.

I just watched "The Theft of the Royal Ruby," which is an Hercule Poirot mystery (with David Suchet) from season 3. It's Christmas, and I believe Vicki said she watches it every year, as well. It's fun, light, and worth watching, if anyone is wanting a Christmas mystery to watch. Only an hour long, too.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Good morning bibliophiles. Sorry that I haven't posted but I've been really busy and..having a difficult time carving out reading tie for myself (and not reading solely books to discuss with my teens for school). IF anyone has any suggestions, please. I need to make a change. At some level I seem to feel that I can read only after absolutely EVERYTHING (and not just my list for the day) is checked. I've been reading Moby Dick and Watership Down with a sprinkling of Dorian Gray. I am determined to read something for myself this week so..crossing my fingers. I have the latest Elizabeth Berg book for one. more. day so perhaps...
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Popping in to mention that Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant (Ann Tyler) is a Kindle special today!!!! This is a FABULOUS read.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Negin, what exactly is a book ship? An extremely large aquatic bookmobile?? That looks very exciting!

Glad to see your detailed review of the Irving Stone book. If I was to read one, it would be Lust for Life -- but the length is daunting! I do love art history, though...

I about halfway through the Georgette Heyer mystery, A Christmas Party. It's amusing and fun. She is no Agatha Christie, that's for sure. But it does have humor, despicable characters, and a locked-room mystery that seems to easy to me at this point but I could be wrong about the solution.

I just watched "The Theft of the Royal Ruby," which is an Hercule Poirot mystery (with David Suchet) from season 3. It's Christmas, and I believe Vicki said she watches it every year, as well. It's fun, light, and worth watching, if anyone is wanting a Christmas mystery to watch. Only an hour long, too.
    I do watch that every year, Rebe! And Hercule Poirot's Christmas as well. It's my reward after all the grades are turned in, and helps kick-start the holiday viewing for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still working through my Anne Tyler book--it's getting really good. I also found a few spare moments to wrap up some books I started a few months ago. So, no new reading, but it's nice to finish up a few things before the year is out! I am going to be in binge reading mode in a few more weeks, and then I'll have something more to share.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (10) & Madelyn (8).

Michele, it sounds like you have some long, heavy, not-very-uplifting books going on right now. For something shorter & perhaps lighter, have you read News of the World by Paulette Jiles? It's a wonderful little book.

I did finish Grisham's Skipping Christmas last night. I didn't find it funny at all. (I think it's supposed to be a funny Christmas story???) And, at the ending, I was bawling because a side character with cancer that has spread (part of the "feel-good" ending) upset me because my mom has cancer & is not doing well lately as we head into the Christmas season. Perhaps I was feeling particularly vulnerable, though, because I was quite sick by the middle of the night & feel physically horrible today. Bah. Humbug!

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Popping in to mention that Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant (Ann Tyler) is a Kindle special today!!!! This is a FABULOUS read.
    Got it! Thanks, Michele. I have been thinking of you and have missed you . I hope to reply to everyone later.