Thread: Gift ideas - subscriptions or experiences?

Default Gift ideas - subscriptions or experiences?

Hi friends,

I'm hoping to look for gifts that might be a subscription/activity based experience.

I'm looking at Raddish for my daughter. Anyone have any experience with that? She gets gift $ from grandparents and this would be an nice way to spread out the gift over a few months. I like the lesson plans that go along with it too.

What about Kiwico? Anyone used that for older kids? Teens? Is it worth the money?

Thanks for any feedback you have.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

I've used Tinker Crate from Kiwi Co and that's a lot of fun. Here's one activity we got to do from it. That post will tell you all the details of the types of things that come in the box and what it's like. It's pretty cool really. They also have an art box for teens.

Raddish looks like a lot of fun. If she likes to cook, I'm sure it's a good experience. They've been around for more than a few years.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Leslie, which dd is this for? What does she enjoy doing?
    What about a craftsy class?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Heather - Thank you! That post was really helpful. How much time did one box take? And once the project was complete, is it something that was used again or another thing to sit around gathering dust? And do you know if your link is still good?

Paige - Its for Eliana. Just trying to find some things to engage her that are not electronics. She does like to help in the kitchen but is a super picky eater. Between her pickiness and the celiac and sensory stuff - eating is a real challenge. I was hoping that this might be a good activity on several fronts. Crafts are challenging for her. She likes them, but does better at home most of the time than in a group outside of home. (Like the day I had planned a simple and fun craft for co-op. She did NONE of the fun projects - including making phases of the moon with cookies. Once our friends had left, she was immediately ready to do it all.)

Thanks for helping me think thru this!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (21), Joshua (17), Isaiah (15), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (10).

Tinker Crate- my link is still good! And, the activity took about an hour all tolled, but I wouldn't say it is something that he's gone back to. However, not sure that is a good indicator because this kid is the kid who finished rowing when he was 6 because he remembered even Beyond stuff from when he tagged along as a preschooler. Still, the process and the make is the thing with the crates and they do provide extra activities to do once you are done making the thing. Also, the infinity mirror doesn't have a lot of replay value. But, the robotic arm has more. So, I think it depends on what comes in the crate that month.

Craftsy- is cheap and is video based (have links for that too). So, she can go at her own pace and revisit any time. But, they are geared for adults (beginner and up), so you might not find anything suitable.

Kiwi Crate- has art boxes for younger kids too that you might like.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).