Thread: Expat & Missionary Mammas..

Default Expat & Missionary Mammas..

I now there are many of you who homeschooled outside of the USA & I am specifically looking for those mamma's help here.

I could use a bit of advice here on my son's transcript.. we go by the AU school years generally which start & stop with the beginning & end of the year. We altered ours to start & end a little sooner, but that's neither here or there. The reality is that in 12 years of homeschooling we've always followed that pattern. We attempted to move back to a USA pattern for high school his first year, but it leaves us burnt out & miserable based on the fact that we need to kick off strong in our final term. So now I'm trying to upgrade his transcript via Homeschool Minder & realise that I've got a slight dating issue.. I have his 9th grade year that spans 2 years & the rest that cover one. Example: 15/16, 2017. As I'm trying to put his upcoming year in there I realise I need to pick ONE or the other. I'd prefer the AU method because it makes my head spin less & matches up with what we are doing. I can alter that one year by changing the dates of his year as well as on his assignments & it should only take a moment to fix.

BUT, he has his sights on a USA Christian College at the moment. Nothing is written in stone, & he may do courses from home depending on where we are living at that time & funds he has. If I use a single year on his transcript: 2017, 2018, etc. Will this be an issue if he applies to a school in the USA? I know we have a school here for Expats & AU students who wish to attend university in the USA & their transcripts actually run like a USA one with the 00/00 dating, so now I'm having a minor freak out. Help!
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

I homeschool in Canada, but don't have kids in High school, so take these thoughts for what they're worth:

Could you contact the college that he's interested in and explain that your son is interested in applying for their college in a couple of years, and since you homeschool in Australia, you wondered if they would prefer a transcript that is formatted in the USA style, or if one that fits the Australia school year is acceptable?

Another thought, how hard would it be to format his transcript both ways? That is, keep updating both ways so at the end you will have a final transcript in both formats?
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10 1/2, ds9, ds7 1/2 and ds6.

I meant to come back & update.

I found an override switch in my programme. hehe So I was able to format it all the same so it doesn't read wonky. Yeah! I had a few people {not in my situation} suggest not putting a date on it, but I had others {in my situation} state that when their children applied {various schools} years were wanted. The programme I use automatically puts the year on it so we'll run with it.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Sunshine. I'm not sure he's dead set on any specific school at this point, but he has been eyeing a few up.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.