Thread: Writing curriculum

Default Writing curriculum

Hello! I'm in here entering the 2nd half of my daughter's junior year of high school and find myself looking for a writing curriculum!

My daughter is a very good writer! She is currently working on a novel, and I'm pretty impressed by what I'm reading in glimpses on the computer. She has asked me to be her 'editor' and so I know I will read it in its entirety at some point, but I'm delighted with her progress. We discuss the storyline often and I'm amazed at how she can turn a plot, add in a subplot, etc.

I don't feel that I have done justice, however, on a formal writing program for her -- something that gives her some different creative assignments that she would enjoy and learn from. We did IEW when she was younger, and I still AM a proponent of that program. I could do their essay program.... but I'm feeling drawn now to provide her something that is fun, while still teaching her some variety with writing assignments. I think this would jazz up her school right now, as well, giving her something that I know she will find creative and a fun challenge.

This is my bare bones request. Maybe if you have other questions, I can flesh out what I'm really looking for, but for now can you make some suggestions?

Is Brave Writer, for instance, something a high schooler can pick up and make progress with in a year and a half?

We are not terribly interested in OYAN at this point.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

Shelly, I'm not familiar with Bravewriter (although I know several on the forums who are).

Have you looked at OYAN's "other" curricula?
    I've used Cover Story, which is a middle school curriculum (7-9th), but if you're looking into "various" creative writing experiences, I think it would be a good fit. With it, you read various types of writing -- poems, short stories, letters to the editor, etc., and then write your own and wind up with a magazine at the end of the year.

Also, Byline is their newest program. I know Heather W is using this this year.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Byline is a curriculum written by OYAN (fabulous program and fabulous community of teens if that is worth something to you) and incorporates history with journalism, teaching essay writing. My history loving high schooler loves it and the podcast is wonderful!

Brave Writer has a high school program written to high schoolers called High School Help. It's an essay writing class.

The Writer's Jungle by Brave Writer is a tool for moms to help their kids/teens with writing. You might find that helpful to find fun things to work on with your teen. It goes through the stages of writing and you'll find a lot there to help you facilitate the teen years. You could read it and find where you are with her and go from there with assignments that you design.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Thank you ladies! Any thoughts on Write Shop 2?

You know what my answer to this question is.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin in Colorado View Post
    You know what my answer to this question is.
    Yes, Robin, I definitely do! We were just talking to my daughter's friend Jessica over the holidays, who now attends school in OK but went to a Winter Workshop for OYAN in KC, I believe it was. It's something to consider.....

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post
    Byline is a curriculum written by OYAN (fabulous program and fabulous community of teens if that is worth something to you) and incorporates history with journalism, teaching essay writing. My history loving high schooler loves it and the podcast is wonderful!

Brave Writer has a high school program written to high schoolers called High School Help. It's an essay writing class.

The Writer's Jungle by Brave Writer is a tool for moms to help their kids/teens with writing. You might find that helpful to find fun things to work on with your teen. It goes through the stages of writing and you'll find a lot there to help you facilitate the teen years. You could read it and find where you are with her and go from there with assignments that you design.
    Okay, so I've been researching Byline! I think my daughter would love this, and it appears to cover several areas of writing that I have been wanting to have her work on. I had kind of forgotten this existed, so thank you, Paige and Heather, for mentioning it!

Writing Fiction in High School
    My son used this book his Junior year of high school and we really enjoyed it. He wrote a great piece in the fairy tale section.

There are some free samples to look at if you are interested.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Quote Originally Posted by CINDY LB OH View Post
    Writing Fiction in High School
    My son used this book his Junior year of high school and we really enjoyed it. He wrote a great piece in the fairy tale section.

There are some free samples to look at if you are interested.
    Thank you, Cindy! That does look like a good option!