Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is a special place..

Default This is a special place..

This morning the first thing I read on Facebook was the news of the passing of a child Iíve never met but have known from posts here on the boards 15+ years ago and my heart mourns. I then read of the birth of the baby of another grown Fiar child Iíve never met and my heart rejoices.

I joined the Fiar community 18 years ago. Iíve made friends that have stood the test of time. Weíve shared our lives, strengthened one another, inspired one another, and laughed like crazy. Even though my youngest is long out of Fiar years, I still pop in and maintain not only fb connections but small group connections. We are there for each other.

I know times change and Facebook has a lot to do with that so this Family Room message board isnít the go to place it once was. Itís a little sad to see so few posts besides the few threads that continue so diligently.
    I have to wonder how long these boards will continue as we all, including the Lamberts, age up... Iím so grateful weíve had this space for so long.

So, I love this special place and I love Fiar moms. You will always hold a special place in my heart and in my homeschool memories.
    Learning along with Larkin (22) Corry (20) Preston (18) and McKenna Grace (15)

I agree, sweet friend. Facebook gets more traffic these days, but it lacks the relationships we cherish and depended on for so long.
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 20yo Eli, 18yo Kyle, and 14yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

So true! Thank you, Shonda!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Truth.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Yes.

I agree about these boards. I'm so grateful that I've been a part of them for 14 years!
    Thank you, Shonda, for expressing what so many of us feel.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I was a part of another homeschool forum for many years. I found that one and this one about the same time and feel I have invested in so many lives through them both. Sadly, the other forum is now defunct. I do not have Facebook, so lost all those connections. I mourn them sometimes and wonder how they are. I have addresses, I should just try old fashioned snail mail. Maybe a New Year greeting...

I miss so many of the moms here from years past, as well. It was so active and so many I learned from. I don't want to name names because I know I will miss too many, but they are all stilled missed. Something in my day to day will bring them(and you still here) to mind and I wonder how they are doing.

to all my FIAR friends, past and present!
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(18), Rebekah(16), Julianne(11), Jonathan(8)and Joshua(4)

You are one up on me Shonda. I have been here 17 years, and I miss a lot of the old members here as well. I learned so much from members like Rebecca Crowe, who was the moderator of the special needs board, and gave me so much support with Ryan when he was little. Recipes from Barb Cash, and a few members I was able to connect with and meet IRL. This is a special place that I* have been unable to quite let go of, despite my rowers now being 24 and 21 on January 9th.
    Wife to Darrell, mom to John, Patrick, DJ and Ryan, Stepgrandmom of 5, grandmother to Adam, Harper, and Alexander. Done homeschooling but not done learning!

I had to pop in over here after reading about Jill's heartbreak on Facebook. This place was one of my primary support systems when we lost Katherine 13 years ago.

We have happily transitioned to life in the Pacific Northwest.

Jordan is 25, graduated from college, and is working for Google back in CA. (Merrilee, Rebecca Crowe kept me sane homeschooling Jordan during the early years. )

Brenna is 21 and graduating from college this spring.

Hudson is 12 and still lives up to his old nickname of Mr Naughty Pants. He loves learning for sure; but he only wants to learn what he wants to learn. He's also a swimmer and qualified for the state meet for the first time this season.

I found FIAR when I first began homeschooling in 1999. It was my main source of information and inspiration. I am so glad to have maintained so many of my friendships over the years.

Blessings to all of you!
    Ronette~FIARowing and growing for the past 19 years with Jordan (25), Brenna (21) and Hudson (12!)
    Blessed

RONETTE Oh, it's so good to see you My dh ordered an Edible Arrangement for someone from the church after they had surgery, and I thought of YOU Good memories!!!

I agree with each of you ladies. I've learned so much from all of you over the years. You've encouraged me and taught me and have helped me be a better Mama, homeschooling Mama, wife, friend....

Each of you, FIAR, the Lamberts, and these boards will always hold a place in my heart and mind
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)