Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2018 Read-Alouds

Default January 2018 Read-Alouds

Hello Ladies,

What are you reading aloud to your kids this month?

We are still listening to "A Christmas Carol" in the car, but are in-between read-alouds at home.

I'm not sure what to choose next! I have seen many people recommend "By the Great Horned Spoon" but I've never read it.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

We really enjoyed that one, Angela!

We just finished Auggie & Me, a companion book to Wonder, yesterday and really enjoyed it. We started Open if You Dare.

Dd and I are reading Nancy and Plum at bedtime.

We are about 100th in line for Wonder at the library, so I picked up Toys Go Out, and now Toy Dance Party. They are "young" for my 11yo, but we're enjoying them anyway. We can probably read the whole trilogy before Wonder finally comes in for us.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I forgot that ds and I are listening to Tom Sawyer together!

We aren't reading anything yet, but will be starting up The Greatest Detective shortly
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

I'm reading Founding Brothers with my 15yo.

We are listening to A Christmas Carol- so need to get that going again on Monday!

I need to start back with Coot Club and Anne of Avonlea on Monday.

I would like to start A Wrinkle in Time with the boys. My 17yo has read it and this would give a go at reading with just the two of them. Gasp. It will be just us next year.

It would be good to read all five of the books by L'Engle before the movie comes out in March.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post
    It would be good to read all five of the books by L'Engle before the movie comes out in March.
    I Have my doubts about this movie, but surely it can't be worse than the one they did last time which was.. really bad. We're holding out hope..
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

We're reading Mr. Popper's Penguins -- all of us taking turns reading out loud. We're almost finished and we'll probably pick back up with Little House - I think we're on book 7. Our first time through the books

Big girls and I were listening to The Christmas Doll during the holiday...but now I'm having a hard time getting motivated. It's our before bed listen while we crochet/knit and I just need to get headed in that direction a little earlier. Anyone else have a hard time reading to their kids before bed? I was good when it was one or two picture books...but I'm just not an evening person

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heather W View Post
    I would like to start A Wrinkle in Time with the boys. My 17yo has read it and this would give a go at reading with just the two of them. Gasp. It will be just us next year.

Heather, will you read this with your 12yo as well? Or just your teens? I ask because I read it to my girls a couple years ago...it may have been over their heads. I haven't read any of the others to them, but my oldest has since read A Wrinkle in Time again and really enjoyed it.
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd12, d10.5, ds8.5, dd6.5, dd4.5

Well, my plan to read Wrinkle to the boys has been thwarted since the 12yo is reading it now. He and my 17yo do not think my 15yo will like it. But, they aren't saying so and will hope he will finish it once he starts.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

We're reading the YWAM biography of Jonathan Goforth at lunchtime, and I think I'll read Nim's Island to them next so we can watch the movie sometime. Dh is reading the 3rd in the Dragon King trilogy to dd. We are taking a break from audiobooks in the car to listen to some audio dramas that we received for Christmas.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10 1/2, ds9, ds7 1/2 and ds6.