Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturday DECLUTTERING!

Jen -- emailed you the poetry stuff. Let me know if you got it.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Hi ladies! Dh and the older dc are on their way home to Japan. They left for the airport at about 1 am. Now they are just about to board their flight from Detroit to Tokyo. Hudson and I leave on Wednesday.
    I’ve mainly just been hanging out with family, which has been really good. Yesterday I
    - went to Target I got dd some new school shoes and a few other items to take back to Japan.
    - Walmart., got a tote to pack
    - Packed
    - -attended my parent’s home group
    - met with some of our missions organizations leaders that live in Taiwan, but just happened to be here visiting their relatives
    - stayed up to see DH and the older kids off

I don’t really have any set plans for today. I might work on English camp plans. I might repack a bag to see if we can fit Hudson's new giant Nerf Gun. We shall see.

Heather, sounds like you’re having fun with your trees.
    Shay, that is cold! It reminds me of Alaska!
    Michelle, I hope you get that burst of energy
    Cindy, oh an Agatha Christie Autobiography sounds good. I love her books!
    Paige, this summer I plan to give Wesley a practice ACT and a practice SAT to decide which one we want to invest our studying energy into.
    Robin, What are you doing with the pallets?
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 13 and Hudson 11

Good afternoon!

Paige, thanks so much for all that!!

We are moving along...
    *got the laundry done
    *cleaned up breakfast
    *I read to kids
    *kids both read to me
    *gift shop--finally decided on what to send my friend for Christmas The whole shipping thing is a pain and eliminated several things I wanted to get her, but I found her some cute things!
    *used toy shop--actually found two art books and an old hymnal to use for an art project
    *library
    *dh put my new license plate on

Now I need to feed people again and work in the school room. I'm not sure what to do about dinner because we'll probably leave for the event around 4:00 and it doesn't end until 7:30...So if I cook, it will be super late by the time we eat and it's too late for me to get something going for the crock pot. Hmmmmm....I might pick something up. We'll see!

Cindy- Thanks for remembering the Agatha Christie book. I will look for it. I have so many things to read right now, but I love a good biography and you made hers sound so good!

Paige- I hope all the meds have helped your sinuses. Mine have been greatly improved since taking the nasal spray. I notice when I forget to take it. It's really helped to reduce my headaches. A total win. Of course, with another med I'm probably trading something off.

Jen
    - Have a great day! What are you up to in your school room? Do we get to see a picture of that space? I'd love to see it!

Michelle- Good job with the inflatables! You keep at it! Would they dry well on the line with no rain? We would do that with tents.

Lindsey
    - Enjoy the time you have left with your family!

AR
    - It is a nice little goal planning and planner class. I'm using a bujo for my daily lists and my intention is to use the other one for blogging, but we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll use it for everything but I don't think so. Of course, perhaps I will be inspired while watching her class.

Shay- Our temps are similar with similar warnings. Frostbite in 10 minutes. I think our warning on winter weather lasts through today at 6pm (lake effect snow) and the wind chill warning is until tomorrow morning.

So far:
    • folded a bunch of laundry- and farmed it out
    • tried on some sweaters- my mom gave to me years ago. Smoke is finally out and I tried them on to see if I'd keep them. I will for now and I put them away. Let's see if I remember I have them when there's an occasion to wear one!
    • started today's laundry
    • worked on taking pictures for a review- the lighting was so good in the school room (which is a little rare given its orientation even though there are huge windows int here)
    • worked with I15 on Algebra
    • checked J's math- he's finished LOF Physics
    • removed ornaments from the big tree
    • packed up the ornaments- ever so carefully
    • helped get that tree out the back door- and dh hurls it over the POH railing with a shout
    • vacuumed the floor where the tree was- and the little trail it left on the way out. Amazing how that species holds its needles. We've had it since November 24th or so and it really didn't drop any needles. Just a few on the way out the door. Frasier fir in case you want one!
    • took the ornaments off the skinny tree and the FIAR tree- I plan to put more lights on the skinny tree. It needs more!
    • put together some chicken noodle soup in the IP- at the request of a kid

Now I need to move some laundry and start a load of white clothes. That might be all I do for laundry today.

My mil is in the hospital. Would you all pray? She's got a bad case of pneumonia. The last time one of our parents was hospitalized with it, the outcome was/is rather dire. Sigh.

The sun is out which is a happy thing.

How are you all doing this afternoon?
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Hello! Dh and the boys are at power soccer practice, so I thought I'd take a break to check in with you all.

Lindsey~ I hope you have a safe trip back. So glad you are having good times with your family. How is your mom doing? Keeping her in my prayers.

Jen~ your hymnal art project sounds cool. Do you know what your are doing yet?

Angela! I figured out how to do the second row . I need more practice for sure, but it's relaxing and it's fun do try crocheting again. Good memories of my grandma teaching me. My mother in law was over yesterday and helped me out. I thing my first project will be a scarf. Thanks for inspiring me!

Robin- that was an interesting comment. Does it mean we need to stick up for ourselves?

Paige- I have left food in the oven, the microwave.....sorry about your soup and I hope you feel better, sending prayers!

Michelle- prayers for a burst of energy for you, friend! I know what you mean, especially this time of year. Your son was sweet to rescue the neighbor's dog!

Shay- you have to cold temps we just had! Sounds worse than ours actually. I am giddy with excitement because tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 29!!! Better fill the bird feeders while I can. i am so glad you are here posting again. You have been missed. Wish I could pop in more, too!

Heather- your water color bird idea sounds so sweet! I hope school goes well for you today. You are a good mom!!

Ch1: I did clean around my nightstand this week. I have a book basket and my two drawers are full. Some are journals, magazines, empty notebooks I need to rethinking the way I have things organized. I will try again next week and then I need to start on our closet. It really needs help! Maybe 30 minutes a week?

Ch2: Well, we really eased back in to home classes this week. Not much was done . Part was due to medical appointments for ds17. He got a good report from the pulmonologist, so that's good. The other challenge is ds14. I could really use some prayers. He drags his feet and gets so sullen about school work at times and this week was rough. If you have any suggestions- I need to figure something out. I was following book/writing requests Jen asked for. I will go back and check again. Heather, did you say you had a podcast or blog post?

Today we slept in. We hosted our couples group from church last night and the boys went to their grandparents. It was a good night- good discussion.

Once the guys return, we will take care of ds17 and head down to a suburb south of us for a youth Mass. We are trying to go monthly, but have made one so far this year. We always go out for a late dinner and head home. I have not done much today. I got ds ready, stretched. We ate breakfast. I washed a sweater. Started getting my sister's birthday gift ready and settled on what I need to bring next Sunday for dinner. We are celebrating birthdays for my mom, sister and nephew. I am bringing a tiramasu cake . I did walk/run on the treadmill- for 35 minutes. Hope you all have a good rest of the day. I am hoping to dig into school planning tonight once the boys are in bed. Hope I can figure out what works. I think my son needs to know that sometimes we have to do things we don't always like to do.

Have a good day!

Hello to April, Mindy, Shonda! Good to read your posts the other day!

- - - Updated - - -

Heather- praying for your mother in law! Pneumonia is scary.
    Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible , and suddenly you are doing the impossible. St. Francis of Assisi
    Phrase 2014: Engage, Embrace, Enjoy

Praying for your mil, Heather! Pneumonia can be scary!

Amy, we're doing an Alisha Gratehouse project from her Winter Wonderland course. I got it a couple of years ago and we're just now trying some of the projects. Ahem.

The school room....I will post pictures soon! My problem is trying to figure out where I want to store things for easy access. There's a lot of space, but not really a good space for things like files, so I'm trying to figure that out, and how to store books we're not using so I won't forget them when it's time for dd to use them! But it's starting to come together. My main issue right now is that there are no blinds in the window. It's a large window on the front of the house, so there is a cream colored sheet that's been in front of the window for a looooong time. I need something over the window so it's not like being in a fishbowl at night, but it's so bright in the day it was hard to see the laptop screen when we were doing the art project yesterday. I'm trying not to nag. Supposedly we are getting this finished soon. We'll see.

Now I'm looking for a few astronomy resources for ds and listening to dd read some more.

Hey all

Amy -- good to see you! Sorry about the attitude with school

Heather -- about your mil and pneumonia It is scary, especially as older parents get up in age.

I am feeling some better today. The Claritin has kept my nose/sinus cleared up, which is nice. I just still feel like I'm in a fog and still sound sick when I talk. I've already warned dh that if this is the way I am tomorrow, I'm not going to church -- not only will I not feel like it, but no one will want to be around me

I did take a brief nap.
    I did get all the dried clothes folded and put away
    (but another load just went off, and there's another load in the washer -- doubt those will get folded today )
    Decided to just pull out a homemade frozen lasagna for supper -- it's in the oven. Hope it unthaws/cooks well. Guess we'll see.
    Someone needs to make some kind of bread/rolls to go with said supper. I have a salad and some canned green beans for those who don't like salad.

I'm about to call my mom.
    We spent some time outside. It's actually 47, sunny, and little wind It feels nice!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Jen- Can you get a paper blind? They are temporary and sold in various sizes. That's what we have on our family room windows so if someone sleeps there (guests on the sleeper sofa), they can have privacy. I never use them and would prefer them not to be there so I have them up. It's all woods out that way, so they aren't necessary. We are total fish bowl in our school room though.

Update:
    • moved the clothes to the dryer- hung the rest
    • started the white clothes
    • served up soup super late for lunch and early for dinner- I have no idea what the means for the next meal.
    • started putting lights on the pencil tree- the new ones are whiter than the old ones. I think I'll take the old ones off and add two of the new ones.
    • messed around on FB

I must do something different now. I think I'll start with the tree.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

The pencil tree in the kitchen now has two new sets of pure white lights on it. Lovely!

I took the set that was warmer light up to our room. But, Dan did not take down the tree in our room today. Woot! So, I get one more night with those glorious lights! and there are a lot of them! I think I will just put that string of warm lights on my dresser and plug them in to have a fun light in there for the winter once the tree is down.

I'm considering switching out the tree skirt on the pencil tree which is a holly and poinsettia right now to something more winter and less holiday. Not sure I have anything, so I'll leave that one there for the moment.

The FIAR tree is undecorated with lights only in the foyer. It's a table top tree with a cute skirt of just white pine and pine cones and some glitter. I don't think I have enough of it to go under the pencil tree. Plus, the base is white. Not great for the floor.

But, I'm trying to figure out what to put on the sofa table the rest of the year. It needs to be something big and tall like the tree but it has to fill space. I don't like it empty, but I don't want an evergreen there year round.

Can you think of anything? The table is along the wall that is the stairwell going upstairs. The corner I'm talking about has the railings for the staircase forming a corner.

Dh moved our WiFi router into the same room as my laptop and I haven't lost WiFi since then. Before that I was getting kicked every moment or two. He thinks it's because of interference with our neighbors' WiFi.

I should get something together for dinner soon and then work on my review or some planning.

Update:
    • made dinner- grilled cheese of various sorts to go with the leftover from lunch soup
    • watched a Deep Space Nine- I like Star Trek. They watched this because E has no interest and he's away so they can't watch Stargate. Speaking of which, we are on count down to two college kids launches and they have to finish the series by August!
    • started my review post for later this week- such a good product. It will be fun to do the writing. I might need another fun picture of some sort.
    • chatted with R for a while- she's been doing a lot of tshirt refashioning today. She did her National Jr Horticulture shirt along with the Cornell Tee we bought for her the night we took her out to celebrate. The free one she gets in the mail is a class of 2022 shirt. Fun!

Did I mention that she got paid in serger feet yesterday? The shop owner brings her in any time she has someone who wants to learn serging. In this case, she helped someone do some hems on some tunics and a wedding gown. It turned out so well. The woman allowed her to pick something in the shop that she would pay for. R has had her eye on some special feet for her serger. She gets to buy things at cost in the shop and these were a $110 kit with 5 feet. So cool for her! Definitely a perk for doing some freelance work. I am certain the shop owner is glad she is going to remain local!

Now that it's night, the new tree lights might be a little too bright. Ahem.

What's everyone doing this evening?