Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 2 (January 7th - January 13th)

Default Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 2 (January 7th - January 13th)

I hope that it’s been a wonderful reading week for all.

I read The Winds of War - 4 Stars - This story, told through the eyes and lives of a Navy family, begins in 1939 and ends right after the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. It’s certainly not a quick read. It’s long, over 800 pages long. Reading it was tedious at times, especially all the details with war strategy and military plans, neitehr of which interest me much at all. However, I’m so glad that I stuck with it. It’s not great literature, but the story and portrayal of characters are what made it for me. I especially loved the patriarch of the family, Victor “Pug” Henry – strong, upright, old school, my type of man. I look forward to reading the sequel.
    While writing this review, I just remembered that Herman Wouk also wrote “Don’t Stop the Carnival” which I read more than thirty years ago and loved. Totally different subject matter however, but one that I can relate to somewhat, since we live in the Caribbean.

Here are some of my favorite quotes.
    “It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.”

This one refers to the relief that Victor Henry felt after being in Berlin for a while. I can relate to this, since I feel that Americans are more genuine than most. I always say that you know where you stand with them. I know that others reading this may not appreciate my generalization, but oh well.
    “Victor Henry loved being back among American faces, American talk, offhand open manners, laughter from the diaphragm and not from the face muscles, not a bow or a clicked pair of heels, not a woman’s European smile, gleaming on and off like an electric sign.”

I didn’t even know that there’s a miniseries based on the book, but I don’t think I’ll be rushing to see it anytime soon.

“My Books – Alice Reading” by Honor Charlotte Appleton (1879–1951). She was a British illustrator of children's books, including “The Children's Alice”.

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars
    Fantastic, couldn't put it down
    4 Stars
    Really Good
    3 Stars
    Enjoyable
    2 Stars
    Just Okay – nothing to write home about
    1 Star
    Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.
    Last edited by Negin; 01-07-2018 at 04:14 AM.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Oh Negin, thank you for the entertaining quotes. I especially enjoyed this one, "“It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.” I'm still chuckling. Half of my family is in Washington DC/Northern Virginia moving our oldest daughter for grad school. It's such an exciting time for her! The rest of us are trying to stay warm. Reading under a warm stack of comforters and blankets is on the TOP of my list of favorite activities! I did reach my goal for 2017's reading but spent the larger part of New Year's Eve finishing up my last book! LOL. I'm hoping that I will find more balance this year and that includes...reading. Last week I read The Almost Sistersby Joshilyn Jackson. i wasn't sure what to expect but I did enjoy it. The story is multi layered and touches upon some very dark issues with a great deal of insight and compassion. We have a LOT of snow and frigid temps here in Upstate, NY. My youngest daughter (eighth grade) and I are reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I read it in 2014 so it's been many months and a stroke since our last encounter and it has been a delightful revisit. I think that I'm going to revisit "old literary friends" this year. This week I'm also reading Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong. Its on my Kindle from the library so hopefully I'll read it later today. Happy reading friends. Looking forward to your suggestions for this year's reading.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

I love the illustration you posted, Negin!

I gave up on one book this week (Sorry to Disrupt the Peace).

I'm currently reading Astragal by Albertine Sarrazin.

As if the reader were riding shotgun, this intensely vivid novel captures a life on the lam. "L'astragale" is the French word for the ankle bone Albertine Sarrazin's heroine Anne breaks as she leaps from her jail cell to freedom. As she drags herself down the road, away from the prison walls, she is rescued by Julien, himself a small-time criminal, who keeps her hidden. They fall in love. Fear of capture, memories of her prison cell, claustrophobia in her hideaways: every detail is fiercely felt.

Astragal burst onto the French literary scene in 1965; its fiery and vivacious style was entirely new, and Sarrazin became a celebrity overnight. But as fate would have it, Sarrazin herself kept running into trouble with the law, even as she became a star.

She died from a botched surgery at the height of her fame. Sarrazin's life and work (her novels are semi-autobiographical) have been the subject of intense fascination in France; a new adaptation of Astragal is currently being filmed. Patti Smith, who brought Astragal to the attention of New Directions, contributes an enthusiastic introduction to one of her favorite writers.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Last week I read The Almost Sistersby Joshilyn Jackson. i wasn't sure what to expect but I did enjoy it. The story is multi layered and touches upon some very dark issues with a great deal of insight and compassion. We have a LOT of snow and frigid temps here in Upstate, NY. My youngest daughter (eighth grade) and I are reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I read it in 2014 so it's been many months and a stroke since our last encounter and it has been a delightful revisit. I think that I'm going to revisit "old literary friends" this year. This week I'm also reading Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong. Its on my Kindle from the library so hopefully I'll read it later today. Happy reading friends. Looking forward to your suggestions for this year's reading.
    Michele, what an exciting time for you and your family!
    I'm quite sure that I read "The Snow Child". Some of my Good Reads friends seem to like "Goodbye Vitamin".

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    I love the illustration you posted, Negin!
    I gave up on one book this week (Sorry to Disrupt the Peace).
    I'm currently reading Astragal by Albertine Sarrazin.
    Stacia, at first I thought you were apologizing for disrupting the peace, then I realized that that was the book title.
    Astragal sounds interesting and the cover looks like the story is quite gripping also.

Michele, I enjoyed The Snow Child as well but I never thought of reading it to my kids my youngest would love it! Thanks for the suggestion. I keep seeing Goodbye Vitamin on Best of lists. I will wait to see what you think of it first before I put it on my TBR list.

We have had the sickness of all sicknesses tear through our family this past week. My husband is the only one who hasn't got ten sick...so far. This was a nasty one. I was even too sick to read at times but I still got 3 books read.

An Expert in Murder by Nicola Upson. A cozy mystery with the real-life author Josephine Tey as the main character. It was a nice fluff book. 3 stars

The Woman in the Window by A.J.Finn. The latest of the 'if you like Girl on the Train you will like this' genre. I did not like Girl on the Train but I did like this one very much. It is similar to Girl except this for me is well written, smartly written and it does have an unreliable character but I found myself being sympathetic towards her. The only downside for me was that it went a bit too long. 4 stars

Sing Unburied Sing by Jessmyn Ward. There has been so much fanfare about this but ok that I was eager to try it. I was disappointed. Ms. Ward is a gifted writer but this story was so depressing, depressing with little hope at the end. Also there were ghosts in it. I was about to write that I don't like ghosts but that isn't true I have read books before with ghosts in them and I liked those stories. These ghosts were just....depressing (sorry, can't think of another word.

I am now reading The Liar's Club, a memoir by Mary Karr, Howard's End and The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (17) and dd (15)

Winds of War looks great. Sometimes there is just nothing like a huge, sprawling historical novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    My youngest daughter (eighth grade) and I are reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I read it in 2014 so it's been many months and a stroke since our last encounter and it has been a delightful revisit. I think that I'm going to revisit "old literary friends" this year.
    That's very sweet. I do that sometimes. I reread Peace Like a River a couple of years ago and loved it all over again. I'm wanting to reread A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    The Woman in the Window by A.J.Finn. The latest of the 'if you like Girl on the Train you will like this' genre. I did not like Girl on the Train but I did like this one very much.
    That's encouraging! I should try it. I love thrillers (usually) but greatly disliked Girl on the Train.

I'm nearing the end of the first Miss Read book and will probably continue reading them, but I can see myself interspersing them between other books. There are too many other things I like, so maybe I'll just read these every so often. I do like this one a lot, though. I have some other books in my stack right now, including a book on the history of the now-extinct passenger pigeon (yes, I asked for this last year for my birthday!), the new bio of LIW (Prairie Fires), and Hamilton -- which I have to read in preparation for SEEING IT IN APRIL! (Be prepared for much loud and enthusiastic excitement from me as we get closer to that date...)
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    We have had the sickness of all sicknesses tear through our family this past week. My husband is the only one who hasn't got ten sick...so far. This was a nasty one. I was even too sick to read at times but I still got 3 books read.
    Julia, sorry to hear that you were all sick. Hopefully, your husband won't get it. At least you managed to read 3 books (all of which I'm about to look up).

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I'm nearing the end of the first Miss Read book and will probably continue reading them, but I can see myself interspersing them between other books. There are too many other things I like, so maybe I'll just read these every so often. I do like this one a lot, though. I have some other books in my stack right now, including a book on the history of the now-extinct passenger pigeon (yes, I asked for this last year for my birthday!), the new bio of LIW (Prairie Fires), and Hamilton -- which I have to read in preparation for SEEING IT IN APRIL! (Be prepared for much loud and enthusiastic excitement from me as we get closer to that date...)
    Rebe, excited for you to be seeing "Hamilton" in April!

The Kindle version of The Killer Angels is on sale today. The first book in the series was on sale a while back.

For those of you who might have bought "The Undoing of Saint Silvanus" by Beth Moore as the Lifeway book club book of the month for January, don't forget the club starts tonight. Ours is at 7pm. I've never been to a book club before. Thought I would try it.

Jill in Monrovia

As I mentioned to Negin on FB, I read Winds of War and the sequels in the 80s when they were best-sellers. I loved them at the time! A gal-pal read them as well, and then we hungrily devoured the TV mini-series. There were some military details I snoozed through, but the characters were a lot of fun. I'm sure that the mini-series would seem hopelessly cheesy by our standards today.

I am reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. It has been on my TBR list for a long time, and I find it alternately poignant, sad, and occasionally boring. I do think that the information and history in this book are important to know.

My book club will be discussing The Lake House by Kate Morton later this month. I am trying to figure out for the life of my if I have read it or not! I seem to recall that several people on this thread had read it and the consensus was that it was not as good as The House at Riverton. I do think I've read it...

Since The Snow Child has come up for discussion, I do suggest that you have a little google fun and look up the Russian legend behind this story. It was not just a legend created by the author for the purpose of the book, but an actual fairy tale with a few different versions and spins. It is kind of fun to look into the story behind the story on this one.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3