Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 3 (January 14th - January 20th)

Default Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 3 (January 14th - January 20th)

everyone.

I read Todo in Tuscany - 3 Stars - This was a truly heartwarming book, which had me in tears in some parts. If you love dogs and/or Tuscany, this book may be for you. I love dogs and we will be visiting Italy (as well as Tuscany) in a few months. Sorry for the overkill, but I will be reading lots of Italy-themed books before we go. My entire family laughs at my travel-themed books before trips. I think it's funny also.

Here’s a picture of Todo – what a sweet story.

Kindle book on sale today

MY RATING SYSTEM
    5 Stars
    Fantastic, couldn't put it down
    4 Stars
    Really Good
    3 Stars
    Enjoyable
    2 Stars
    Just Okay – nothing to write home about
    1 Star
    Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.
    Last edited by Negin; 01-14-2018 at 04:30 AM.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Negin, how lucky that you are able to travel so frequently! I long for the time when I can travel more as well. Have you read any of Marlena De Blasi's books? If you like travel memoir you might enjoy her adventures around Italy. I read both One Thousand Days in Venice and One Thousand Days in Tuscany, and loved them both (best read in that order). https://www.amazon.com/Marlena-De-Blasi/e/B001IGQEI2

I have some big news (drum roll, please!)...I finally finished that awful book I was whining about last week! (I won't name it again, to spare you all.) I finally broke down and pulled a late night skim/read for the second half, and managed to read quickly yet still piece together the major plot points. All that training as a college student cramming comes in handy sometimes! So, I was able to move on at last to other things. Phew.

I sped through two short works on my kindle (one of my reading goals this year is to get through a lot of those books, as they've been piling up!). Nothing earth-shattering, but one of them focused on the Danish practice of hygge, which was interesting (the concept, not so much the book).

Today I started Parnassus on Wheels, which I love already. The narrative voice is great, and I hope it stays interesting all the way through. How's this for an opening paragraph:

"I WONDER IF THERE ISN’T a lot of bunkum in higher education? I never found that people who were learned in logarithms and other kinds of poetry were any quicker in washing dishes or darning socks. I’ve done a good deal of reading when I could, and I don’t want to 'admit impediments' to the love of books, but I’ve also seen lots of good, practical folk spoiled by too much fine print. Reading sonnets always gives me hiccups, too." ---Morley, Christopher. Parnassus on Wheels (p. 1). Chios Classics. Kindle Edition.

Finally, I wanted to share with you all a book I was just gifted. It's called The Bard and the Bible: A Shakespeare Devotional by Bob Hostetler. The author pairs a quotation from Shakespeare with a Bible verse each day, and then offers some reflections on the shared theme of both. It looks great--I'm hoping to start diving into it in a few weeks (I like to start things like that on "beginning" dates, like the first of the month, etc.).
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

I'm all about travel themed reading, even though I have not traveled a lot of late.

I started reading Let's Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson. It was on sale on Kindle, and a facebook friend posted about it. The author is better known as The Blogess, and I've enjoyed some of her posts over the years. This book is just funny stories of the author's life. At times, it seemed a little forced to me: see how wacky I am?!... see how I flippantly toss around vulgarity?! But then I catch myself laughing out loud, so I guess that's the point!

This reading was interrupted by a library ebook that became available: Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. Oh my, this one has really grabbed me! It is a non-fiction narrative about the author's temporary lapse into a delusional schizophrenic-like illness. I believe that it is unknown exactly what caused her illness, and it has never returned (and will hopefully never return!) . She's a talented writer, and has meticulously pieced her story together based upon details provided by her parents, boyfriend, doctors, and medical records. It is fascinating! ETA: she does get a diagnosis! Weird, rare, bizarre stuff!
    Last edited by KathleenM; 01-16-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    Have you read any of Marlena De Blasi's books? If you like travel memoir you might enjoy her adventures around Italy.
    I sped through two short works on my kindle (one of my reading goals this year is to get through a lot of those books, as they've been piling up!). Nothing earth-shattering, but one of them focused on the Danish practice of hygge, which was interesting (the concept, not so much the book).
    Today I started Parnassus on Wheels, which I love already.
    Vicki, thank you. We do feel blessed that we're able to travel (usually once a year). We know that we won't always be able to do this, but for now anyway, we are grateful. I just purchased the first Marlena De Blasi book this morning before I posted here! I will read it eventually. I'm glad to hear that you liked them.
    I also added "Parnassus on Wheels" to my wish list. It looks like something that I'll like.
    The Shakespare Devotional sounds lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I
    I started reading Let's Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson. It was on sale on Kindle, and a facebook friend posted about it. The author is better known as The Blogess, and I've enjoyed some of her posts over the years. This book is just funny stories of the author's life. At times, it seemed a little forced to me: see how wacky I am?!... see how I flippantly toss around vulgarity?! But then I catch myself laughing out loud, so I guess that's the point!
    This reading was interrupted by a library ebook that became available: Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. Oh my, this one has really grabbed me! It is a non-fiction narrative about the author's temporary lapse into a delusional schizophrenic-like illness. I believe that it is unknown exactly what caused her illness, and it has never returned (and will hopefully never return!) . She's a talented writer, and has meticulously pieced her story together based upon details provided by her parents, boyfriend, doctors, and medical records. It is fascinating!
    Kathleen, I have "Brain on Fire" on my Kindle. I think it was on sale a while back. I've heard great things about it.
    I've been hearing about "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" for a while. I'm surprised that I haven't yet read it and that it wasn't on my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    see how wacky I am?!... see how I flippantly toss around vulgarity?!
    Kathleen, you make me laugh!

I've only read one chapter of A is for Alibi. I want to get back to it but life keeps getting in the way.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Kathleen, I really have enjoyed Jenny Lawson's books. She has a knack for storytelling, imo. And, yes, some of it is cringe-worthy & laugh-out-loud funny at the same time.

Negin, did you ever read Cooking with Fernet Branca? It's a very humorous (imo) riff on the Tuscan cooking & "wish you were here" type travel books, told with witty & dry British wit. Lots of silly fun.

Even though I'm not much of a series reader, I'm reading the second book in the Darktown series. I read Darktown at the beginning of this year & am now reading Lightning Men, both by Thomas Mullen.

Starred review from Publishers Weekly:

Set in 1950, Mullen’s outstanding sequel to 2016’s Darktown showcases the difficulties of effectively policing the mean streets of Atlanta when some cops belong to the Ku Klux Klan. Denny Rakestraw, who’s not a Klan member, is distrusted by his fellow officers for his suspected role in the disappearance of his former partner. Denny’s problems increase when his Klansman brother-in-law, Dale Simpkins, gets involved in a plot to stop the influx of African-Americans into his neighborhood. The personal and the professional also intersect for Lucius Boggs, one of the city’s first black officers. They are not only not allowed to arrest whites but are “barely even supposed to interact with white people,” which proves troublesome when Lucius and another black cop, Tommy Smith, start to investigate a moonshine smuggling ring that turns out to include some white men. Meanwhile, the release from prison of the father of Lucius’s fiancée’s child creates personal complications for Lucius. Mullen again brilliantly combines a suspenseful plot with a searing look at a racist South.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Vicki, I loved Parnassians on wheels! Enjoy!

Rebe, I'm not sure if you have a Kindle. But if you do, Sue Grafton's first few books are on sale for $1.99, I believe.

On one of my FB book groups we had a readathon. So from yesterday morning until Sunday night, I read the whole time. I did sleep, though. It was fun seeing what everyone else was reading and where they were reading. I was able to finish two books during the readathon: March by Geraldine Brooks (the story of Mr. March from Little Women--I loved it!) and The Breakdown by B.A.Paris (suspense thriller.) I am currently reading another suspense by J.T.Ellison entitled 14. I am still not feeling 100% so fluff book suffice right now.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (19), ds (17) and dd (15)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I've only read one chapter of A is for Alibi. I want to get back to it but life keeps getting in the way.
    Sorry, Rebe. Hope you find some reading time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    Negin, did you ever read Cooking with Fernet Branca? It's a very humorous (imo) riff on the Tuscan cooking & "wish you were here" type travel books, told with witty & dry British wit. Lots of silly fun.
    Stacia, thanks for reminding me of this. I have heard about it and forgot to add it to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    Rebe, I'm not sure if you have a Kindle. But if you do, Sue Grafton's first few books are on sale for $1.99, I believe.
    On one of my FB book groups we had a readathon. So from yesterday morning until Sunday night, I read the whole time. I did sleep, though. It was fun seeing what everyone else was reading and where they were reading. I was able to finish two books during the readathon: March by Geraldine Brooks (the story of Mr. March from Little Women--I loved it!) and The Breakdown by B.A.Paris (suspense thriller.) I am currently reading another suspense by J.T.Ellison entitled 14. I am still not feeling 100% so fluff book suffice right now.
    Julia, I wish so much that I could do a readathon like that. I wish that I could spend an entire day or weekend just reading.

Just have a few moments but wanted to "pop in." Oh..a readathon sounds heavenly. OOOOOOO...I did a fair amount of reading last week. First, I read Goodbye Vitamin. I'm really glad that I went into it not knowing of the subject nature because...my mom is in the early stages of dimentia and I would have passed on this book. I THOUGHT it was going to be sad, sentimental or depressing. However, it became the book that I couldn't put down and read in a day. It's written in journal form (which I do not usually like) but something about it, the characters perhaps...I couldn't put it down. After that, I read A Gentleman in Moscow and liked it very much. However, I felt kind of burned out and needed some "Brain Candy" and ...just in time, the library had Elin Hildebrands' new books for me, Winter Solstice. I don't think that I would recommend it but it was an enjoyable (not memorable) read. Currently I'm reading, Becoming Nicole by Amy Ellis Nutt. Prior to reading this, I knew very little about the subject. What strikes me about this book is a reminder that parents can forge amazing strength when they need to advocate for their children.
    Last edited by Michele; 01-15-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add current read
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    21 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Michele, about your mom.

Looking into some of the titles you've mentioned. You've gotten some good reading done!