Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 3 (January 14th - January 20th)

I think I may have just read my best book for 2018. Castle of Water by Dane Huckelbridge is a well-written and beautifully told story of a couple who are plane-wrecked on a deserted island. My heart was in my throat the last third of the book. Oh, I love this book!! Now I have a book hangover and am afraid that any book I pick up now will pale in comparison.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (17) and dd (15)

Julia, added it to my list. That book hangover feeling is not easy!
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    I think I may have just read my best book for 2018. Castle of Water by Dane Huckelbridge is a well-written and beautifully told story of a couple who are plane-wrecked on a deserted island.
    I just requested that my library buy this. I was surprised they didn't have it. But then, with all the "meeting space" they've added, and the computers, and the "business centers," etc., there is less and less room for books all the time.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Rebe, that saddens me greatly. Last March, our provincial gov't decided to implement major cutbacks to the libraries. These cutbacks meant that many of the small town libraries would have to close. So we the people fought back with protests. I was surprised that at the protest my daughter and I went to, the people who spoke talked above it all of the programs that would be lost. Nothing was said about the loss of access to books, just the programs and, of course, the loss of computer access.

I will give credit to the gov't, though, in the wake of all of the protests, realized they made a mistake and announced they would try, with the libraries help, to figure out a better solution.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (17) and dd (15)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaT View Post
    Rebe, that saddens me greatly. Last March, our provincial gov't decided to implement major cutbacks to the libraries. These cutbacks meant that many of the small town libraries would have to close. So we the people fought back with protests. I was surprised that at the protest my daughter and I went to, the people who spoke talked above it all of the programs that would be lost. Nothing was said about the loss of access to books, just the programs and, of course, the loss of computer access.

I will give credit to the gov't, though, in the wake of all of the protests, realized they made a mistake and announced they would try, with the libraries help, to figure out a better solution.
    Julia, that is very interesting. I'm glad that they realized their mistake, but sadly, libraries aren't seen how they used to be. Our library's story is this: a huge tax increase was passed a few years back that would funnel millions of dollars into the large and already wonderful library system. The new director (who was the first head of the library in its history to be a businessperson, not a librarian), moved forward with the plan to gut and remodel 15 or 20 branches and completely tear down and rebuild a few more. So ... this is great, right? Well, yes and no. Sure, the buildings are pretty now (although stark white and sterile looking), but they "weeded" so many books ... it's terribly sad. Gone are the beautiful, warm wooden shelves, the bricks, the little nooks to read in, and the reference room. Every branch now has white metal shelves and walls, "quiet rooms," (with, very oddly, no bookshelves or books), children's areas with toys, touch tables, and discovery areas (and books), greatly expanded media sections, laptop bars, concession and vending areas, large community meeting rooms, and computers and outlets absolutely everywhere. They are truly more community centers now -- with some books. They've won award after award nationally for this, apparently. But it's sad. Every time I go to request a book that we used a few years ago in our homeschooling, they no longer have it about 80% of the time. Shelves are half-empty, bestsellers take up space with 20 copies each, and they no longer sell any good used books (they now sell them online). The whole thing is so sad to me, but we've had to adapt, because it's the new reality where we live.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

You know we move a lot so I’ve gotten familiar with lots of libraries around our state. Most of them no longer have the classics! This is just unbelievable to me! You are right about 20 copies of popular books and no old books! The same for the children’s books, too. So I have especially noticed this because we use TruthQuest history which is basically a library list of mostly old books. It’s very frustrating. Yay for all the community stuff. Good. But what about BOOKS???
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (19), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.