Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Bringing a child home mid year.

Default Help! Bringing a child home mid year.

I'm looking at bringing ds home from an International Baccalaureate, private school to home school for high school, mid way through the year. Homeschooling high school would be new for me. How does this sound for a freshman plan?

Language and Literature is his current English class. I think I'll keep the name and work on English grammar (a real weakness), literature (read some books, discuss and write a couple of papers), and work a little on vocabulary and penmanship (another weakness as he has dysgraphia).

Math
    . His school does some kind of mash up of algebra 1, 2, geometry and trig. I'm thinking of just starting over with Algebra I as Math has been a real trouble spot. It's not my forte either, so I'm thinking of using Teaching Textbooks.

Science. Again his school just calls the class science and seems to have already done units on chemistry, biology and physical science this year. So I'm thinking he can do a semester of astronomy with dh who has a big interest and a huge telescope and then next year jump in with more serious science like a Biology course with a lab.

Social Studies. His school seems to be doing world history. So I think we can do world history and just add on what he hasn't already learned that relates to the topic.

Art. He is in an art class and wants to continue with art. I'm looking for a good curriculum for art. Something where he gets to actually make artwork.

PE. He is currently in PE and health. He's already done 2 & 1/2 years of health, so I think he's got that covered. He's into running, so I think we can just log his runs and call it good.

Cooking.
    He was taking a design class and a Japanese language class, but struggled with these electives. I think taking a half-year course in cooking could help lesson the chore load for me and provide an easy half-year credit for him. I'll have him learn new cooking techniques, plan and cook a meal each week and we will end the year by having him help plan and cook for a group of 15 people for 2 weeks in May while we have a group stay at our church. Then next year we will try a different foreign language.

Any thoughts, tips or ideas? Thanks!
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 14 and Hudson 11

I think you've got a solid plan! Do you have a list of books already for English? As for art, my honest opinion--as the mom to little artists who surpassed me in talent many years ago--find a good art teacher. One lesson a week is sufficient.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

I think your plan is great. I'm going to give you some tips on course titles, though, in case he goes to college here in the U.S.

You'll need to call Science something more specific, and you can't use General Science (it's not high school level). If you add more Physical Science elements, maybe you could call it that, which is fine for a high school transcript.

You can call Art, Art Survey if it's using different media. This is the typical first course in art. Or you can call it Studio Art if it's more advanced, or Drawing if that's mostly what it is. If he continues in art, you can add a "I" after these titles and then use "II." (Not for Art Survey, though.) Each art course would be a semester, .5 credit.

Home Ec (cooking) is now called Family and Consumer Science - FACS. You could say FACS/Cooking on the transcript (or FACS/Sewing).

You may already know all of this, but I just got finished helping my 10th grader with his next year's public high school schedule, so it's on my mind. I'm thinking that with a non-U.S., non-standard high school transcript, you want to make it as simple and easy to understand as possible for the colleges or wherever he decides to go after.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Lindsey, I think that sounds like a very good plan

For English, if you're adding books, etc., just make sure that you keep track of it. Most colleges don't require a syllabus, but some do. Some even require reading lists.

I think Rebe gave you some great advice about naming classes, and I completely agree about the science .... General Science is a 7th grade class and can't receive credit. Physical Science is an 8th/9th class that can receive credit. I'd definitely add more "physical science" aspects -- again, make sure you document/denote what you're adding and what you're using if it's not in a traditional textbook.

Also, about the art, what kind of art is he interested in? If you don't have an art teacher nearby, I've been VERY happy with the Craftsy.com class I ordered for Mattie for Christmas (the Intro to Watercolors). I know Heather uses them some and has a link on her blog. They have all KINDS of art. The "instruction" time counts, as does any time that they're actually spending doing/making something. Again, I have a check of sheet where she fills in the hours that she spends doing it. Oh — don’t pay full price for a crafts class. I’ve seen lots of sales. On Black Friday I bought the $70 class for $20, and I’ve seen $20 sales since.
    Another fun idea -- one of my friends has been teaching himself how to paint using Bob Ross videos on YouTube He's doing an amazing job!!! (You can also order those dvds.)

To give you an example of what Rebe was talking about with names, especially of favorite electives ....
    Katie LOVES to write and has written several novels and is in the process of trying to get some published.
    In 8th, she did OYAN, and I called it Creative Writing I (historical adventure). In 9th/10th, she worked on her speculative fiction trilogy, so I called it Creative Writing II (speculative fiction). She's now working on editing and rewriting and learning about publishing and talking to editors, so I'm calling it Creative Writing III (editing/publishing).

But, some things can be used as extra-curricular..... For example, We do Music Appreciation, and I include our week at Singing School (because it's 20+ hours of actual theory and instruction for 5 days), I include piano lessons and piano practice. When they hit 180 hours, it's a credit. BUT, they've (thus far both girls) have done MORE than that because they've continued with choral performances, piano lessons, piano recitals, playing at nursing homes, etc., so I'm just giving them 1 credit but will write down extracurricular for some of the "extra" things they do. Make sense? (Check out Shay's post in the graduates about classes/electives.)
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Lindsey- Teaching high school is fairly straight forward. Here's a link to my high school help page. I've got subject area posts there along with general high schooling posts like how to make a four year plan, how to schedule high school, project based high school courses, and navigating college prep and selection.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

These are all really great tips ladies! Heather, I've been checking out your blog. Good stuff! Paige & Laura, I'll be looking up that art class Paige mentioned as I don't know of any local art teachers. Rebe, I'm thinking this semesters transcript will read like this:

Language and Literature
    Algebra I
    Astronomy
    Art Survey
    World History
    Physical Science
    Family and Consumer Science/Cooking

and Next Year will be something like
    American Literature
    Geometry
    American History
    Biology
    Film History
    Sign Language I
    and one other elective
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 14 and Hudson 11

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey Carter View Post
    Language and Literature
    Algebra I
    Astronomy
    Art Survey
    World History
    Physical Science
    Family and Consumer Science/Cooking

and Next Year will be something like
    American Literature
    Geometry
    American History
    Biology
    Film History
    Sign Language I
    and one other elective
    That looks great. As homeschoolers, it's so important that we make our transcripts as much like "regular" schools as possible, within reason. No need to make those admissions people question anything or work any harder trying to figure us out!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I don't have anything to add, but encouragement! You can do this it! I dreaded homeschooling high school for years and while sometimes the teen angst does get in the way, it is much easier than my nightmares!
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(18), Rebekah(16), Julianne(11), Jonathan(8)and Joshua(4)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    That looks great. As homeschoolers, it's so important that we make our transcripts as much like "regular" schools as possible, within reason. No need to make those admissions people question anything or work any harder trying to figure us out!
    Yes! And always name things conventionally rather than naming something like One Year Adventure Novel go with the elective Creative Writing. I don't want my choice of creative instructional materials to be misunderstood or underestimated.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

FWIW, as a fellow Expat, I felt that following my home state laws/regulations was the best idea because we don't know where God will have us in a year's time from now, & the last thing I wanted my son to have to do was scramble to make up something. Now, with that in mind I have a state I can claim as my home state, & they do have rules & regulations. More so they also have an umbrella school with a high school plan.

Just something to keep in mind, you know, because homeschooling from afar wasn't hard enough, right?
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.