Thread: multiplication facts

Default multiplication facts

I am seeking suggestions on whether or not we should add some drills, and which ones would be best for my daughter. She can always accurately compute the product in her head - I do find this highly valuable, that she understands the concepts - using strategies she's learned, but they aren't committed to memory. I can see how having the facts memorized would be beneficial to her as she's moving up and using much bigger numbers. I just don't really remember how my oldest committed them to memory - we never used flash cards - just one day she had it.

My daughter is 10 and using Beast Academy as her math program. She loves it and is doing well. She's also read the LOF books - she loves anything quirky. Math has come easily for her, but she gets distracted and speed is not her thing I understand, this just may be the way it is. I'd just like for us to move a little quicker, you know? She's a plodder.

I've tried the wrap-ups, but they haven't seemed to help that much. An app would appeal to me if it's not distracting.
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd12, d10.5, ds8.5, dd6.5, dd4.5

We felt committing them to memory was essential if math wasn't going to take all day at higher levels.. For that we used Times Alive! Which had stories & songs for the facts. While we don't sing the songs or tell the stories, if someone's having a "moment" they may say something like, "Quick 6x4" & someone will shout back, "THE CAKE IS FOR THE EIGHT."
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

We keep having to circle back to memorizing the multiplication facts--there really is no substitute for memorization IMO. I thought my eldest had them down last year, and then we hit a wall again last fall! I had tried the Times Tales DVD, and both my kids loved it. It worked for a while, and then for some reason the info seemed to disappear from their brains! sigh.

Neither like the flash card method, so last fall, I tried another tack--I created a reward chart for numbers 1-12 (one box per number). Each level contains three numbers (so, level 1 = 1, 2 & 3, etc.). They have to say the multiplication facts orally (I randomly say an equation, like 4x3, etc.) as quickly as they can. If they pass the oral quiz, they take a written one. I keep adding in facts from previous numbers as they get to the higher number.

At the end of each level, they earn a reward--and each level, the reward gets better. So, for level 1 (which they mostly knew anyway!), they got a pack of gum. Level 2 = a candy of their choice. Level 3 = a sweet frog treat. Level 4 = $5 to spend at Barnes & Noble.

So far, this has worked better than anything else to motivate them to work on their facts, and although we took a break over the holidays, I have seen a dramatic improvement in their speed with multiplication so far!
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

My son is 11 and also has trouble with math facts. I signed him up recently for Reflex Math (online games) and he loves it. He tracks his own progress and calls me in to see how many more he's mastered. It's $35 per year for homeschoolers if you just want multiplication and division. I can see the improvement when he does his regular math since we started this program right before Christmas.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 22 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Thanks for all these suggestions!!
    Mindy - wife to Colin since '03, mommy to FIVE fabulous kids dd12, d10.5, ds8.5, dd6.5, dd4.5