Thread: looking ahead to high school; I need to make some changes

Default looking ahead to high school; I need to make some changes

I need some ideas. My youngest two are very different from my older two. Their learning styles, their interests, etc.

My prime areas for change are science and history / geography, and my sub areas are art / language arts.

What we are currently using:

Mystery of History: By the end of next year, these two will have been through all the books and have gotten a good overview of world history. However, it is a little shallow.

Science: Belle used Apologia because she thought it would help her in her career field. It didn't. In my view, Apologia high school science is geared toward those kids who want to go to college to be laboratory scientists. It's very academic. Kitty hates science, and we are using the 101 series for her. So far she is successful and enjoys it. My youngers like science, but are very hands-on. And neither is interested in it as a career.

Language Arts: These two are getting more (and better) grammar than Belle got. I used Excellence in Literature for both my olders for their lit and writing and loved it, but I don't think it's the right fit for my youngers. They need something lighter.

Art: My two youngers are uber creatives, and are constantly making. In addition to traditional ideas, I need suggestions for things that are different, not traditionally thought of art. And ways to incorporate it. I'd like to throw in a bit of art history as well, just for fun.

Princess is very creative and sees the world a bit unusually. She writes a bit, but uses multi-multi-media (not a typo) arts and spends hours with her very large 3D projects. She is a strong auditory learner, but likes to figure things out kinesthetically. She has a visual disability and got off to a slow start reading. She loves to read, but it is still laborious for her and she lacks years of reading experiences.

Boyo dreams of being an inventor. He likes to work with tools and wood and pvc and such. He is a self-starter when he's interested (such as science projects) and is always trying to figure out new ways to do something. He needs more help being organized.

As you know, I have Chiari, and can't count on being able to do "mom intensive" things.

So, if you have ideas for curricula or modules or ways of doing things, please share.
    Robin, wife for 21 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 19yo Belle; 17yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Have you looked at Wintepromise at all? https://winterpromise.com/ GO to their Themed Programs -- they have high school American History, Quest for the Ancient World, and Middle Ages. Katie did the Royals to Revolutionaries last year and really enjoyed it I have the Middle Ages for Mattie to use either next year or the next. It's a lot of living history for literature and that's the way you learn history. Many creative projects (we didn't do as many because K. is NOT this type of learner, but M. is). As always, I picked and chose what works for us. It was very good, imo.

Also, I know you're familiar with OYAN. Have you looked into Cover Story? M. did it in 7th, but it can be used for 9th. She enjoyed it, and C. will use it in 8th next year.
    What about their Byline for history/lit? I'm sure Heather W can answer more questions about that -- is it Lit. or history or both? I think her ds is enjoying it this year.

Are those the type things you're looking for or am I sending you in the wrong direction?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

But, I feel like I'm failing, like I'm not giving them what they need to fly. I don't know how or even if to direct, what to make available to them, or really anything. I do know that the path I'm on with them worked ok for the olders but wasn't really anything more than ok. But I was sick during that time and that was just all I could do. Now I have these two coming up and they are such different thinkers than their sisters and I, and I just want to give them more.

Does that make sense?
    Robin, wife for 21 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 19yo Belle; 17yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 11yo Boyo.

Kym Wright has a few unit studies that are high school. I have not seen them in person, so I can’t tell you anything about them .... http://www.kymwright.com

Have you checked out schoolhouseteachers.com ? They now have loads on classes, some traditional, and some non- traditional. Don’t know if there’s anything there, but there might be
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin in Colorado View Post
    But, I feel like I'm failing, like I'm not giving them what they need to fly. I don't know how or even if to direct, what to make available to them, or really anything. I do know that the path I'm on with them worked ok for the olders but wasn't really anything more than ok. But I was sick during that time and that was just all I could do. Now I have these two coming up and they are such different thinkers than their sisters and I, and I just want to give them more.

Does that make sense?
    Precious friend,

Go back and read what you wrote about your children! They are not failing, they are thriving!!! They are creating amazing things and exploring areas that interest them. You have and are giving them wings!!! You are doing it all right!

You recognize their strengths and weaknesses and are looking for ways to engage and meet them. You are such an amazing mama!!!

Suggestions for you.

History - I LOVE history! LOVE! (This is where you need to be living in NC so we could study it together.) A couple of ideas for you.

1. Diana Waring - Have you used any of her history studies? Very outside of the box. Reading is a lot up to you. She very much teaches to a variety of learning styles and it is very hands-on and fun!

2. State history - Are you a field trip mama? I am and love learning this way. We studied NC state history over several years by visiting many historic sites, doing programs and we also did some classes (co-op style). This was a really great way to learn and I'm hoping to do this again next year.

As for the outside books, can you do audio books? Or listen to an engaging talk about the subject? I get the reading disability, we are dealing with that here too.

Science -

1. Friendly science - I'm looking at this for next year as it looks interesting. I have no experience with it.

2. Supercharged Science with Aurora Lipper - Just bought this for one that needs to finish a science class to graduate. VERY hands on and fun.

Grammar - I have nothing. Not much strong suit and haven't done much with it. Just trying to get reading down.

I'm happy to talk more if you have questions for me about any of this. Be encouraged friend. You are doing a good job!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

Robin, I have several ideas for you, but I sent you a FB message with the first idea!

Stay tuned!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Robin, I highly doubt that you are failing Princess and Boyo. I'm guessing that you're much harder on yourself than those 2 are. Hugs, friend.

As you make your plans, are you involved with a local co-op? What about the local community college? I'm asking because their offerings might be part of your planning process. Are you teaching everything at home yourself?
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Thank you all. You have given me lots to look into. I am starting to feel like a plan is shaping up and I can breathe again.

Laura, yes, it's all on me except piano and drawing. The "co-ops" here aren't really co-ops but are all based toward specific things, like performing arts, or speech and debate, or such.