Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 6 (February 4th - February 10th)

Joy, hope your dad's tests went well.

While at work yesterday, a book came in that I had to immediately check out (& then sat down & read as soon as I got home) -- Murder at Broad River Bridge: The Slaying of Lemuel Penn by the Klu Klux Klan by Bill Shipp. This is a re-issue of a book originally published in 1981. The murder took place near Athens, GA; the University of Georgia Press (located in Athens) is the publisher. This book was reissued last year.

First published in 1981, Murder at the Broad River Bridge recounts the stunning details of the murder of Lieutenant Colonel Lemuel Penn by the Ku Klux Klan on a back-country Georgia road in 1964, nine days after the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Longtime Atlanta Constitution reporter Bill Shipp gives us, with shattering power, the true story of how a good, innocent, "uninvolved" man was killed during the Civil Rights turbulence of the mid-1960s. Penn was a decorated veteran of World War II, a United States Army Reserve officer, and an African American, killed by racist, white vigilantes as he was driving home to Washington, D.C. from Fort Benning, Georgia.

Shipp recounts the details of the blind and lawless force that took Penn's life and the sorry mask of protective patriotism it hid behind. To read Murder at Broad River Bridge is to know with deep shock that it could be dated today, tonight, tomorrow. It is a vastly moving documentary drama.
    This is another short book (less than 100 pages) & is not a work of literature, nor is it extremely detailed in all the facets regarding the murder & various trials that took place afterward. In those respects, it sometimes feels thin on content. But, perhaps the content is not there to be had anymore?

Regardless, it seemed like required reading for me, especially on the heels of Darktown and Lightning Men (about the first black police officers in Atlanta, starting in 1948 & moving into 1950).

Sadly, this feels like a morality tale completely relevant for today. Still.

------------------

------------------

I am still working on The Illustrious House of Ramires & loving it.

And, I've also started Augustown by Kei Miller. It is nominated for the PEN Open Book Award. I am loving it too.

11 April 1982: a smell is coming down John Golding Road right alongside the boy-child, something attached to him, like a spirit but not quite. Ma Taffy is growing worried. She knows that something is going to happen. Something terrible is going to pour out into the world. But if she can hold it off for just a little bit longer, she will. So she asks a question that surprises herself even as she asks it, "Kaia, I ever tell you bout the flying preacherman?"

Set in the backlands of Jamaica, Augustown is a magical and haunting novel of one woman's struggle to rise above the brutal vicissitudes of history, race, class, collective memory, violence, and myth.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

I haven't had time to reply to everyone's posts the way that I would like to. I'm taking notes of all the titles here. Thank you all. Thank you, Stacia. Love the covers!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    I finished The Dean’s Watch, read The Scent of Water and am about to begin The Rosemary Tree, all by Elizabeth Goudge. My dad is having a heart test tomorrow and may need to stay overnight, so I ran by the library today and got a couple of Goudge books in case I need to stay with my mom.
    Joy, hope that your dad's test went okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    So sweet of you to think of me, Negin! I feel the same way about the Susan Branch books (they always make me think of you!). I've only read Venice and Tuscany from de Blasi's books so far, but I have a few more in my TBR list. I loved the Tuscany book, while I just moderately enjoyed the Venice installment (I think she was still getting her stride in that one). I hope you do as well!
    Thank you, Vicki . I will read more by her. There are so many Italy-themed books that I'd like to read. The usual problem: too many books and too little time!
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

I've finally finished This Must Be the Place by Maggie O'Farrell. I have really mixed feelings about this book. The writing was fabulous, the characters were rich, well developed and diverse. This book jumped timelines, individuals and places. Initially, I thought that it was ME. I restarted the book (twice) thinking that I was just too distracted. Umm...NO. Reading this book caused me to yearn for its' ending. I KNEW that somehow these people somehow were interrelated but it wasn't always easy to figure out HOW. To be completely honest, once I decided that I didn't CARE how this puzzle came together, it was much more enjoyable for me as a reader. I have no idea what to read next. I had planned on reading Behold the Dreamers (Imbolo Moue) but my library hold is almost over. Sigh..I'm thinking something light to cleanse the literary palate perhaps. All suggestions are welcomed!
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    21 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Thank you! They did an arteriogram and were supposed to put in stents if needed. But they apparently put too much dye in his veins and he has to go back next week and do it all over again. He had a major heart attack, a new valve, and 4 bypasses a couple of years ago and now 2 of the bypasses have become blocked. I’m an only and help my mom. But Thomas seems to have the flu so we’ll see whether I can go next week or not. Thank you for asking.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of Ď19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I've finally finished This Must Be the Place by Maggie O'Farrell.
    Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. Michele. Hopefully your next book will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    Thank you! They did an arteriogram and were supposed to put in stents if needed. But they apparently put too much dye in his veins and he has to go back next week and do it all over again. He had a major heart attack, a new valve, and 4 bypasses a couple of years ago and now 2 of the bypasses have become blocked. I’m an only and help my mom. But Thomas seems to have the flu so we’ll see whether I can go next week or not. Thank you for asking.
    Hugs and prayers, Joy.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Joy, how are your parents doing? How is Thomas? Are the rest of you still healthy?

Michele, thank you for asking. Dad’s procedure is Thursday. They are staying home right now, hoping to avoid flu. Thomas’ flu got better and he had no fever on Saturday and was up and cleaned up his room and did some stuff. Then during the night last night, his temp shot up again and his coughing sounds worse. The doc in a box opens in a bit and I’m getting ready to go take him. No one else has gotten sick. I’ve been trying hard to keep his germs off everything.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of Ď19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Oh Joy, so frustrating to have the sickies in the house before your dad's procedure. Hugs and healthy wishes (and prayers) sent your way!