Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday DECLUTTERING!

Default Thursday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Kitchens- clean up, make food, organize storage (pantries, frigs, freezers), etc.

School Challenge: School flat surfaces

Inspiring Thought: Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained. - Marie Curie

For me today:
    • school- including a meeting
    • school planning- update planner
    • set up my paints- maybe catch a video on the topic first
    • dig out the mailbox- assign
    • put out recycling- gah. forgot yesterday and I have to do it this morning.
    • clean the floors
    • reading time
    • prep a claim form- for R's glasses
    • do the boys' paperwork for their appt next week
    • blog work- post, podcast, and some other stuff
    • call my dad
    • errands- R to the sewing shop (again), pick up meds
    • play a game

The sun is brilliant today! A lovely bonus after yesterday's snowy day.

School is the main thing today and I need to catch up in my planner.

Have a wonderful day!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Good morning!

I'm about ready to go back to bed! I got up at 5:00 to get breakfast in the crock pot. I thought about going back to bed, but we've got such a busy day today that I realized I needed to stay up and get some things going so we can actually get school done today. Hopefully I can get to bed in good time tonight!

*laundry--done
    *breakfast in crock pot--done
    *make coffee cake for tonight's meeting
    *ironing
    *school
    *swim team
    *volunteering
    *county 4H meeting
    *Valentine boxes

Anything else will be icing! And at least it's going to warm up today and be sunny!

Have a great day today, friends!

Hi friends!

The organization challenge is so timely. We moved this week and downsized into a 2 bedroom apartment while we build our house. I *thought* I had put a lot of our stuff into storage- but we're stuffed to the gills! I've spent the last few days reevaluating what we really need and sending the rest to the storage unit. I've become quite creative (we don't have: a pantry or any linen closets and I used to have 2 linen closets and a big pantry) Anyway, not complaining at all because we're so happy to move on.

Heather: Do you love updating your planner? I heart catching up in my planner. In January I switched to a Plum Paper Planner and love it.

Jen:
    What did you put in the crockpot? Yay for you having the laundry and breakfast done by 8:30. That's awesome. I rolled outta bed after 8 am.

Today I need to:

*Work on unpacking boxes
    *Think about dinner
    *Visit my mom
    *Returns to Hobby Lobby
    *TJ Maxx run (I'm searching for the world's biggest utensil holder to sit beside the stove.)
    *Maybe make it across town to a grocery store that carries some of our special food allergy brands (doubt this will happen)
    *Catch up on laundry, including stripping and washing my dd's sheets
    *Do an apartment walkthrough to point all the dings we have not done and don't wanna get charged for when we move out

Good morning, all

Elizabeth -- SO good to see you and how exciting that you're moving on! Hurray!!!!! When we moved to a much smaller rental house while we built our house, I didn't have a pantry, either. There was a dining room that we used as a storage room for furniture and stuff that didn't need to go into a non-climate controlled storage unit, and in that room, I set up two bookshelves that I used as a pantry -- flour, sugar, cans, cereal -- basically everything that I'd keep in my pantry, I kept on those two bookshelves. Just at thought for you if you have room for something like that. Also, when we lived in Jacksonville and had no schoolroom or place for a schoolroom, I bought a pantry "cupboard" from Lowes (probably a cabinet 2 1/2 ft. wide by 6 ft. tall) for less than $100. It stayed on a wall between the kitchen and dining area (no dividing walls, just a bar area), and I stored school stuff in that (put you could also use it as a pantry if you have a wall to put it on). I'm still using that cabinet in a storage room today to organize things

Heather -- hope school goes well today!

Jen -- that's early

Here:
    * I started waking up about 5, too, but didn't get out of bed until a little before 6. Our company wanted to leave about 7, and I knew they'd be up and want breakfast and coffee/tea, so my internal alarm got me up early. Now everyone's off, kids are still sleeping (it was a late night, so I'm letting them sleep), and I'm TIRED -- I could go back to bed (won't happen, though).
    * We had a great visit, but it's intense visiting for 3 days. Good stuff. We got bits and pieces of school done (I figured that).
    * today is GOOD school
    * lots of laundry -- want to get it all taken care of
    * pack to leave for FL tomorrow
    * tidy/clean house
    *double/triple/quadruple check on the status of a referral -- it's been a month-long ordeal getting the dr's office to get the RIGHT one done There's a new nurse, and it's been tough I think she finally got the referral done correctly yesterday, but the dates aren't correct. UGH!!! Gotta get that figured out.

Those things encompass LOTS. It'll be a full day.

- - - Updated - - -

OH -- I wanted to comment on life "clutter" from yesterday's thread. That is SO true! I come here and visit FB some. All that distracts me enough When I joined WW last week, I joined a FB group called "skinnytaste" that is fantastic -- lots of "skinny," delicious recipes, but there's LOTS of traffic. It's fun to see, but it's very distracting. I think I'm going to have to unfollow and just read "along" as I have time. Can I do that? Of course, it's also encouraging with recipe ideas and successes, but ....... There's a fine line.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Good Morning Ladies,

Lindsey - Thanks for asking about my back. It is much better, but still a little sore/weak. I've been stretching a lot lately, which has helped.

HW - Very cool that you could pay for the class from your blog earnings - woot! Is R taking this as a prerequisite for next year? Is it strictly an on-line class?

Jen - Way to go!

Elizabeth - Moving is such hard work! It is nice to "see" you again.

Paige - I hope your day goes well and you get that referral!

CH1: I cleaned out the silverware drawer yesterday. I would like to got through another drawer or cabinet today.

CH2: I still need to address the computer desk.

IT: So true!

so far:
    Bible reading and other reading
    breakfast
    exercise

up next:
    start laundry
    math with L
    get girls started in independent work
    shower
    Morning time
    finish school
    dinner in the IP early
    LAUNDRY
    Ash has dance from 5-7
    Dan has Walking Wise in the garage from 8-10
    I need to finish writing out my talk tonight
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Elizabeth- Good to see you! Congratulations on the move part 1. I do enjoy updating my planner though not so much if I've let it go too long.

Paige- How far is the trip to FL for you all?

AR- This was her second community college class that she took during the winter session. The bill was paid, but I was reimbursing our account. She took two community college classes this year and I'm glad they are done. She got As in both and they were not difficult, but they were annoying at various times. But, their purpose was to be on her transcript for admission to Cornell and we've checked that very big box. So, it's a total WIN! However, I plan to offer feedback on the courses. Their potential was not realized and it's a crying shame. I'm only glad we paid the high school program price and not the regular tuition price. Her classmates were not high school students, so that's sad for them to have paid full price for woefully outdated/inadequate courses.

Ok...time to move away from my laptop.

I managed to get the recycling out and take dh to work.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

So far:
    • made a lunch
    • put out recycling- with dh who saw me and helped
    • read some things- blog related
    • ate breakfast with everyone
    • school time- math and history so far
    • updated my school planner- let it go too long
    • watched several videos on filling watercolor pans
    • started today's laundry
    • sorted grown up laundry
    • made chicken noodle soup- at the kids' request and it's in the IP now
    • loaded the dishwasher- still more to do and I will run it

Kids are working on school. Working to get some clutter put away.

Next up is to switch the laundry.

I would like to get a move on some things, but I need kids to help and I don't want to interrupt the ones that are working.

I made crock pot cinnamon roll casserole! It's yummy and easy, but it needs to cook for 2.5-3 hours, which doesn't make it a good choice for when you want to eat breakfast somewhat early. When I've made it before I've put it in about 6:30 on swim team mornings when we don't get home for breakfast until 9:30 or so. But ds has been wanting it, so I said I'd make it--obviously not thinking it through before telling him that.

We have done quite a bit of reading and all of my part of school this morning. The coffee cake is ready to go and I've gotten dh's pants ironed, too, so at least that's not left for tonight.

Now the kids are eating lunch and we'll head to swim team in a bit. I'm afraid when I sit down there I'm going to start snoring!

- - - Updated - - -

Elizabeth, congratulations on the move! Do you know about how long it will take to build? We did the smaller rental in between houses, too--went from 3800 sq. feet to 1400 (poorly laid out) sq. feet. It was sometimes very uncomfortable, to say the least, but we made it and it definitely helped us appreciate our real house when we got there!

So far I:
    *Did our returns to Hobby Lobby and bought a cute silver bucket for my cooking utensils. It's not big enough so I need to go back and buy another one. It's really simple and looks great.
    *Made a payment on our land loan
    *Quick Publix stop
    *Invited my sis over for lunch
    *Laundry

Up Next:
    *Apartment walk through
    *Fold laundry. I've managed to continue washing the clothes while I unpack but not fold the clean clothes. Oh well. Little by little!!!
    *I'd like to unpack today but my cramps are starting and that usually takes me out for a day or 2.

Paige: Those are all great ideas!!! We took one of those inexpensive cube sets you can get from Target- the one with 9 cubbies and fabric baskets. That is working in our dining area for our pantry for now. And the giant appliances like my bread maker, instapot and wok are in our master closet. Haha. It works for now. We opted for the 60 sq ft sunroom versus the outdoor patio and I'm so glad we did! It's holding all of our homeschool stuff.

Jen: My dh said this will humble us and make us appreciate our log cabin. You're so right! We have what we need in this apartment and that's enough! We signed a 6 month lease and that's the estimate our builder gave us- but we haven't broken ground yet. So maybe late fall? Also, the crockpot cinnamon casserole sounds delish!

Angela: Hi! What are you putting in the Instapot? I'm always curious about recipes.

Heather: Thank you! It was a long wait with several months of closing push backs but we made it to the finish line. Whew.

Heather -- hope you got to enjoy the sun today

Angela -- glad your back is on the mend

Jen -- way to go staying up & getting things done

Elizabeth -- you will get it all done! Take it easy a couple days

Paige -- you will get it all done!! What time are y'all leaving?

Today the older kids in our hs group did a scavenger hunt. We met, kids were divided into teams and loaded into the vehicles (driven by parent) and off they went.
    The rest of the parents either hung out talking or ran some errands.

The tasks they had to perform were either videoed or pic taken.
    Some tasks were nice (pump gas, wash car window, pick up trash etc.)
    Some tasks were hilarious (dance like robot on the busiest street in town, sing to a stranger, ask store clerk nutritional value of inedible object etc.)

The kids had a great time and the pictures & videos were so funny!
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds