Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 7 (February 11th - February 17th)

Default Moms' Book Thread ~ Week 7 (February 11th - February 17th)

everyone!

I read A Thousand Days in Tuscany - 2 Stars - I usually love reading about travel and food and I started out enjoying the descriptions of Tuscany, but then I got bored since there wasn’t much of a story. It was just a bit slow and boring for me. I also had a difficult time trying to understand some of the characters. In all fairness, the story did pick up a bit near the end.
    I’m happy that I’ve learned how to properly pronounce bruschetta!
    I’m not sure as to whether I will read more in this series. I think that I like the idea of her books more than the books themselves. The attractive covers help also!

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Look at that Tuscan landscape. This is where everyone in the world would like to live."

“Living in the moment and being content with one’s portion makes for the best of all lives.”

“Don’t be afraid of your children. If they’re going to love you, they’ll love you on their own, without your having to pander to them. If they’re not going to love you, there’s nothing to do about it.”

MY RATING SYSTEM
    5 Stars
    Fantastic, couldn't put it down
    4 Stars
    Really Good
    3 Stars
    Enjoyable
    2 Stars
    Just Okay – nothing to write home about
    1 Star
    Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.
    Last edited by Negin; 02-11-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

I'm not reading much except for magazines. I finished Teddy's Button, which was sweet - apparently one of the bestselling children's books of its time, which always interests me. I'm waiting for a book to come in for me (a requested purchase) at the library, thinking about needing to start Hamilton soon (but not in the mood for history at the moment), and being okay with the idea of my surgery coming up on Wednesday. Also the Olympics are eating up my evenings - watching the Slopestyle (is that one word or two?) event last night with my 16yo was priceless. That a 17yo won a gold medal for the U.S. was icing on the cake. Awesome event! I also enjoyed the Italian female figure skater, age 31, who has so much grace and maturity in her skating - something not so evident in skaters who are teenagers.

But I digress. Please carry on with the book thread!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Joy, hugs & hoping your ds feels better quickly & that nobody else gets sick. And best wishes for your dad later this week.

Rebe, hugs & best wishes for a smooth & speedy surgery & recovery this week.

I had a bit of a reading emergency last night. I was comfy in my chair & my hurricane rescue kitty was snuggled on my lap for the first time *ever* (!!) & when I read the bottom of one page & continued to the next, it didn't make sense. So, I tried again. Then I realized that pages 236 to 285 were missing! Horrors! I've emailed the publishing company (in case it was a print run error), as well as initiated a return with amazon (which I'm not entirely convinced will get me a book that does have the pages but I will try). So, until I get the missing pages (hopefully in .pdf from the publisher in the meantime), The Illustrious House of Ramires is on hold.

I'm still reading Augustown by Kei Miller & loving, loving it. He's a poet & this is just an amazing book.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Stacia! How odd to be missing pages from a book! I'm so impressed that you contacted the publisher! GOOD FOR YOU!!! So exciting that your rescue kitty is starting to settle in and on your lap..oh..sweet moments! I've heard really good things about Augustown lately. I'm so glad that you're enjoying it.

Rebe, lots of prayers sent your way.

Joy-wondering how your son is feeling and sending lots of healthy wishes your way.

Negin-I love the quotes that you chose. I was trying to pick a favorite and I could only narrow it down from three to two!

I'm reading the latest JoJo Moyes book , Still Me. It's light and brainless and just what I needed, mostly. Louisa Clark is kind of like an old friend at this point but a trilogy? Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks "Enough IS enough." Hoping to zip through it and start something else rather soon. Happy reading to all!
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Hello reading friends!

Rebe and Joy - both of you are in my prayers for good outcomes this week! Sending love!

I just started reading Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng and it has definitely grabbed me. I have a feeling this is going to be a bit of a sad one. I'm getting kind of a Lovely Bones vibe.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post

I just started reading Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng and it has definitely grabbed me. I have a feeling this is going to be a bit of a sad one. I'm getting kind of a Lovely Bones vibe.
    Oh Kathleen, I really enjoyed this book and hope that you like it too!
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning

If you like historical fiction, The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte is on sale today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    my surgery coming up on Wednesday.
    Rebe, hugs and prayers for an easy surgery and recovery. I didn't even know that you're having surgery. I hope that I didn't miss an earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    I'm still reading Augustown by Kei Miller & loving, loving it. He's a poet & this is just an amazing book.
    Hope you get a replacement soon! Wow, that is definitely odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Negin-I love the quotes that you chose. I was trying to pick a favorite and I could only narrow it down from three to two!
    Michele, I often have a hard time choosing which quotes to include!

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I've heard that this is good. I think that I have it on my Kindle since it was probably on sale a while back.

Negin, I'm a huge Bronte fan, so thank you for that link! And sorry you didn't like Tuscany more; I guess I must have been in the right place to enjoy that one when I did.

Just out of curiosity--has anyone else been having a difficult time getting on the boards lately? I couldn't access the forums at all for most of last week, and it's still intermittent (but seems to be getting better). I was just wondering if it was on my end or the website.

I am still slowly making my way through Pedagogy of the Oppressed, along with a lot of selections for our textbook (this time the focus has been mainly on garbage--there is an amazing amount of research out there on the subject; you'd be amazed!

I finished Four Seasons of Rome, and would probably give it about a 3 star rating. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't amazing.

I then started my next audio book, The Gift of Failure by Jessica Lahey. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it, and I love it! This is going to be one of those books I recommend to every parent, homeschooler, and teacher I know.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

Rebe, I will keep you in my thoughts on Wed. May everything go smoothly. Hugs to you.

Kathleen, I loved Everything You Never Told Me! It was my favourite book of 2015. I tried Celeste Ng's newest book that came out in Sept. i couldn't finish it. I am hoping that it was a case of 'wrong book, wrong time.'

I am overloaded with books right now. I try to keep 3 or 4 books going on at the same time but right now I have 7 on the go. I know, craziness. Three of the books are for various book clubs I am in. During the season of Lent, I am reading The Awakening of Miss Prim by Natalia Sanmartin Fenolerra with an online group of Catholic women. This is a reread for me and I am enjoying it even more the second time around. This is an idea book; it comes up short on characterization and plot but the ideas strike home for me. This woman has an agenda but for once it is an agenda that I agree with.

For my irl book club we are reading The Rosie Project. I'm late to the party with this book so I am looking forward to finally reading it.

I am also involved in a postal book club. There are 6 of us in the group from Canada and the US. We have never met before, not even online. The first deadline was Jan. 31st. We each picked a book, mailed it along with a journal in which we wrote thoughts/reflections in, to the person next in line. So I received Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi from my person. I will read it, write my thoughts in the enclosed journal and by March 31st I will send it to the next person and will receive a new book from my person. And we keep going until my book comes back to me. This is hard to explain. I hope it makes sense. Homegoing is a reread for me, too. I liked the book but, to be real honest, not enough to read it again. Oh well! I have a sense of foreboding that most of these books for this particular book club will be retreads for me.

Other books I am reading: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Vergese
    a Maisie Dobbs mystery (can't remember the title right now)
    Doc by Mary Doria Russell
    Silas Marner
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (17) and dd (15)