Thread: Kindle - which one?

Default Kindle - which one?

I'm interested in buying a Kindle for my mom. With the options, I'm just not sure what to choose. She has never had one before and likes the idea of reading on it - especially while traveling. Thoughts or recommendations?
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

I LOVE MY PAPERWHITE!!!!! Love it. The FIRE was too heavy, the Paperwhite has a delightful little light that is easily adjustable to many brightnesses. I've had it since the first week it came out and never been anything but pleased.
    Melissa, Five in a Row Staff - Community Manager
    Married 19 years to Robert. Homeschooling Jacob, 16, and Mattie, 12 all the way through.

"Once your enemy, now seated at your table. Jesus, thank you!" ~ Sovereign Grace Music

My mom got one for travelling and actually got a Fire. She loves it because she can easily access email and the internet and her word games via the fire

To me the paperwhite (which is what I have) is solely to read on. My girls have Fires, and they have many more options via the Fire than they do via the paperwhite.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Thanks so much Melissa! That was really helpful to know. I just ordered it.

And just now seeing your post Paige. Hmmm ... I didn't know that one could do so much more than the other. I think she mostly wants it to read on. She might like the other options though. Ack!
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

WEll, she can do all the other stuff via her phone. My moms having cataract issues and needs surgery, so the larger screen of the kindle (vice her phone) helped her.

The paper white (I think) is usually the cheaper option. See how much she uses it and if she’d really need more. I’m perfectly content with mine. I got the girls fires on a massive pre Christmas sale last year (either $35 or $40 each).
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

The Fires are tablets and have apps available in the Amazon store. The Kindle readers are much easier on the eyes if she only wants to read. I have a Kindle Touch reader (they don't make them anymore) and it works well in bright light (no glare).
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 20yo Eli, 18yo Kyle, and 14yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

Actually the Fires are much cheaper (about $60) v the paperwhite (about $100). So knowing the differences is helpful. Maybe I'll just ask her what she would like.

My problem with the FIRE is that I got distracted, but I finally returned it when I actually ended up with tennis elbow from holding it in bed. It went away as soon as I got rid of it. The paperwhite is much lighter.
    If she has any sort of mobile device already, the FIRE is definitely a low functioning, but usable, option.
    Melissa, Five in a Row Staff - Community Manager
    Married 19 years to Robert. Homeschooling Jacob, 16, and Mattie, 12 all the way through.

"Once your enemy, now seated at your table. Jesus, thank you!" ~ Sovereign Grace Music

And our experience is that our Fires have lasted significantly less time that my Kindle Touch (reader).
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 20yo Eli, 18yo Kyle, and 14yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada