Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheese Straws Recipe?

Default Cheese Straws Recipe?

I'm helping with another bridal shower, and the bride would like cheese straws served ....

Anyone have a good, tried-and-true recipe?

Thanks
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

If no one replies, my suggestion is to go to Southern Living and follow their suggestions.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

I just want to say two things:

First, I know Tricia at HodgePodge has published this recipe.

Secondly, I am way too Yankee to even understand what these things are in any way!

Which is why I remember exactly where I saw a recipe in my internet travels years ago!

May the bride be pleased with your cheese straw offering!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

I just saved that recipe, Heather. Paige, I'm also looking for bridal shower ideas and recipes - what else are you having?

Heather, I am also pretty Yankee and I don't understand why cheese "straws" look like peanut butter cookies. But they look delicious anyway!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Heather, thanks for the link.

Rebe, I’ve seen the ones shaped like that. The traditional
    Version is a flat “rectangle” maybe 1/2 an inch by 2 inches long.

We’ve had bridal
    Shower season around here .... for this shower, we’re doing cake, nuts (buttered and salted and baked pecans), cheese straws, grapes and strawberries and punch.

The one before this we did cupcakes with white icing and put them down into the fancy “tulip”’cupcake holders from hobby lobby (24 for $2), brownie bites with whipped cream and a strawberry on top, and chocolate covered strawberries and punch. I’ll see if I can insert a pic of the table — we used white and glass dishes, small antique milk glass vases for flowers, and small gold votive candle holders (some with candles and some with flowers).
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

F5B86698-F124-4B8B-9E49-583D8F64CAB6.jpg

Here's a pic of the table from the last shower.

Paige! I think ours will be more of a luncheon - so sandwiches, etc. That table is so pretty! It's not my gift to create something like that, unfortunately!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I just saved that recipe, Heather. Paige, I'm also looking for bridal shower ideas and recipes - what else are you having?

Heather, I am also pretty Yankee and I don't understand why cheese "straws" look like peanut butter cookies. But they look delicious anyway!
    I was wondering the same thing, but mostly because I know they are not tasty little pb cookies!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Paige! I think ours will be more of a luncheon - so sandwiches, etc. That table is so pretty! It's not my gift to create something like that, unfortunately!
    Rebe, it’s not my gift, either, — SO not my speciality — but my friend Tiffany is a fabulous decorator . She actually looked up some ideas on Pinterest, and then we put it together based on the picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Rebe, how about chicken salad — either on mini croissants or with crackers?
    Pimento Cheese sandwiches, quartered (that may be southern, too),
    fruit — strawberries, grapes, cantaloupe, pineapple, —
    sausage balls?
    Cheese cubes on toothpicks
    Cheese ball with crackers?
    Pasta salad

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Rebe, how about chicken salad — either on mini croissants or with crackers?
    Pimento Cheese sandwiches, quartered (that may be southern, too),
    fruit — strawberries, grapes, cantaloupe, pineapple, —
    sausage balls?
    Cheese cubes on toothpicks
    Cheese ball with crackers?
    Pasta salad
    I love these ideas - thanks! One "main dish" will be CFA chicken nuggets. This is a nod to the fact that my son and future DIL met when they were both hired to open the new CFA in our area a few years ago. She was front of house and he was back of house but their destiny was intertwined - .