Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheese Straws Recipe?

Yum! I was first introduced to "cheese straws" when we lived in GA. They were served at a baby shower and while I thought they had a strange name, I became a quick convert - they are so delicious! They usually look this this.
    Another thing I learned living in the South is that pimento cheese that is homemade its 100X better than the stuff you buy in the store! I always thought I didn't like it, but it turns out I had just never had good pimento cheese before.

Paige - Let us know if you find a good recipe!

Rebe - Are you a member at Costco? I served chicken salad on croissants there and it was a big hit! The Costco crossiants are large, but I cut the sandwhiches in half and it made a nice serving size. Costco sells yummy chicken salad, but I made it using meat from that I deboned from the rotisserie chickens. If you make the chicken salad, I would definitely recommend saving yourself some time and using rotisserie chicken. The meat is already nicely seasoned too, which helps.

Other shower food ideas:
    chocolate covered strawberries
    mini cupcakes or petite-fours
    ham sliders - this is what you find at every Richmond, VA shower or holiday party.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Paige, I think I’ve made either Trisha Yearwood’s or Paula Deen’s recipe. But Southern Living should have a good one.
    Puff pastry ones are good, too, but not true cheese straws.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

I already knew this, but you Southerners really know good food! Well, except for grits and okra - I love the rest of it! I remember seeing the "real" cheese straws now - but they are too much work, so I think I'll make them but they'll resemble peanut butter cookies.

I am so glad y'all (see what I did there?) mentioned chicken salad. I suddenly remember my own "fancy" chicken salad recipe which is awesome - it uses Uncle Ben's rice and red grapes with the chicken. I hardly ever make it, but this is the perfect opportunity for that!

I've written down all the ideas and will run them by my future DIL!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Rebe -- I think I've had a chicken salad like that before, and it's

Also, you can freeze cheese straws/cookies, and they do great, so that's a very easy thing to make in advance for the shower/luncheon.

Whenever we discover a fabulous recipe, I'll post it. My friend who was going to experiment was first trying the Trisha Yearwood recipe -- but if you look at the reviews, it says to half the salt and at least double the cayenne pepper, so she was trying those (today, I think). I'll keep you posted

Ohhhh, and Angela's idea of ham sliders is yummy, too. They are delicious!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    . I suddenly remember my own "fancy" chicken salad recipe which is awesome - it uses Uncle Ben's rice and red grapes with the chicken. I hardly ever make it, but this is the perfect opportunity for that!
    Oooh, Rebe, would you mind sharing your recipe? I'm always looking for chicken salad recipes, especially in the summertime.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine C View Post
    Oooh, Rebe, would you mind sharing your recipe? I'm always looking for chicken salad recipes, especially in the summertime.
    Sure! I've had this recipe for about 20 years and it's still one of my favorites.

Fancy Chicken Salad

1 box Uncle Ben’s Long Grain Wild Rice, Original Herb
    2 cups cooked cubed chicken
    2/3 cup mayo (I use Hellman’s)
    1/8 cup milk
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    1 tsp. grated onion (or onion powder to taste)
    1 cup cashews
    2 cups halved red grapes

Follow rice directions and let cool slightly.
    Mix chicken into rice.
    Mix mayo, milk, lemon juice, and onion and stir into rice mixture.
    Refrigerate. Just before serving, fold in cashews and grapes.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 21 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Sure! I've had this recipe for about 20 years and it's still one of my favorites.

Fancy Chicken Salad

1 box Uncle Ben’s Long Grain Wild Rice, Original Herb
    2 cups cooked cubed chicken
    2/3 cup mayo (I use Hellman’s)
    1/8 cup milk
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    1 tsp. grated onion (or onion powder to taste)
    1 cup cashews
    2 cups halved red grapes

Follow rice directions and let cool slightly.
    Mix chicken into rice.
    Mix mayo, milk, lemon juice, and onion and stir into rice mixture.
    Refrigerate. Just before serving, fold in cashews and grapes.
    That looks wonderful - thank you!
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Here's a question about those cheese straws (the "peanut butter cookie" ones that Heather linked to). I'd like to make a trial run of these, and I'd like to send some to my son in Japan. Would they make the trip without going bad/stale/yucky? It would be a trip of up to two weeks, to a fairly tropical area, but it's still early spring. What do you think? I've sent cookies before and they were fine.

In the South, we can buy cheese straws in a bag, like cookies. They are not as fresh and good as when you first make them and they are crumbly, but they are ok. So I think you could send them, well cushioned with popcorn or something.

Paige, someone brought some lemon straws to UMW the other night and said Alexander’s in Anniston has a ton of different flavors plus actual cheese straws. I thought that was interesting. Basically, it’s a cookie, run through a cookie press with the same shape as a cheese straw. I thought that was interesting. If you have a cookie press, you could make some, too, sometime. The girls might think it’s fun.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Rebe, I think the cheese "cookies" should be okay to send. When I used to send stuff to Jim when he was overseas, I'd pull it out of the freezer about 4 and then box it up and get it to the po before they closed and got shipped off for the day, that way it would be a day maybe before they'd completely unthaw. Every little bit helps You can just warn him that if they look moldy or smelly or taste "off" not to eat them. You could also maybe buy an insulated lunch bag to put them in or put them on top of an ice pack or ????? Anything extra to help keep it cool would probably help. I would just worry about the "cheese" part, but I'd think they'd keep .....

Joy -- those lemon "straws" sound yummy, too. Interesting.....
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)