Thread: First Post! Spelling?

Default First Post! Spelling?

I have a daughter who is going to be in 2nd grade in the Fall. We have our reading and math picked out. I was going to add spelling but now I am reconsidering. She just began copywork this Spring so now I am thinking I should have her just do copywork another year and then add it in 3rd grade? Can moms who have schooled this age group give me an idea of your experiences. We are not required to test if that changes anything

Welcome, Brooke! Spelling is really dependent on the child and the parent. Some parents want a separate spelling curriculum, especially if the child isn't a natural speller. You could try All about Spelling or Sequential Spelling for that. Others use copywork and then dictation. In my own experience, I had one daughter beg for a spelling workbook for 2nd grade. I had no idea what to buy so chose Spelling Workout. That turned out to be a waste of time for her; she was a natural speller who had no trouble with any of the words. After that year, we moved to Wordly Wise 3000, which is a vocabulary curriculum that was great for her. My youngest has been using Wordly Wise for 4th and 5th grade, and I appreciate that it also includes a lesson on reading comprehension each week.

One more thought: simply choose a list of 8-10 vocabulary words from the book you're rowing and make it your spelling list.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Welcome! Hope you like hanging out here!

We never started spelling until 3rd or 4th grade. I felt like they needed strong reading skills first and spelling would come. We used Explode the Code after our phonics program, then started Sequential Spelling.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Welcome! With our middle son (who doens't have learning issues with spelling like our oldest) we started in 4th grade (I think ) with Phonetic Zoo. He is a natural speller so we buzzed through that series in 3 years (3 levels) and moved on.
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 20yo Eli, 18yo Kyle, and 14yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

Welcome!

Just wait and see what she needs. I have three that have never needed spelling instruction at all. They are naturally very good spellers and picked it up from reading. For one of my daughters, that's not the case. She has a reading struggle. So, we waited until she got caught up on her reading, and began spelling instruction in middle school for her. That was a good solution for us.
    Robin, wife for 22 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Welcome My poor first child has always been my guinea pig we did do
    Footwork in younger grades (and all my kids have enjoyed Draw, Write, Now) I
    Started sequential spelling when my oldest was in 3rd and liked it, but she really didn’t need it. We wound up dropping it, and she’s a great speller. If you’re going to use the wait and see approach, it takes until 5th grade for it all to turn out, but all 3 of my big kids are good spellers because they’re readers

I do recommend sequential spelling, though, if you decide to
    Go with a program.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Thank you ladies! We will wait and see! Possibly we can add it in 3rd grade.

You have been given great advice!
    I have one kid that loves spelling..she even did a spelling bee with the charter. She loves Soaring with Spelling..
    My middle hates spelling! She does the spelling with Reading Milestones as the bare minimum.
    My youngest is just starting out in spelling so we went with Spelling U See and she LOVES it!!!
    Just to give you some ideas...
    Eva~ child of God, wife to James, and homeschooling, ASL using, IEP advocating, encouraging Mama to my Special Lovely Blessings :Beauty 10, Bubbles 8, and Baby 6 via the miracle of adoption.