Thread: Keeping memories of your rows - notebooks, journals, lap books, others?

Question Keeping memories of your rows - notebooks, journals, lap books, others?

I’ve just begun FIAR with my 5 year old boy. He is a “Wigglt Willy,” and so am I, so we don’t like busywork / worksheets, but prefer to be active. Except he will sit and read books with me, if he likes the book. Although we don’t do busywork, I do want to somehow document our rows. What are your favorite ways to do that?

Our first row was The Glorious Flight. We made flags on England and France, made scones and clafoutis, and ate a baguette. We talked about Then vs. Now (we have a go along Usbourne book). We made paper airplanes and flew them by our community pool. We read books about early flight, other pilots in that period, and how airplanes work. We learned onomatopoeia, and came up with interesting onomatopoeic words while we grocery shopped. We talked about art perspective. A few other conversations from the manual. I want to remember all this!

I’m not sure if lapbooking would feel to “school-like” for him. I more want to document for me than for his learning, unless someone convinces me it’s really valuable. I’m not in a Charter, so I don’t have to produce any work samples.

What do you do to capture the memories, and maybe review it later?

- - - Updated - - -

Iíd already forgotten! He also started a journal, where he wrote a song for harmonica, wrote a story about a truck stuck in the snow, and detailed plans for his airplane that will fly faster than a rocket. (It was a busy first week!)

Welcome, Liz!

Instead of making lapbooks, try a notebook page instead. For example, take a piece of cardstock (only because it's sturdy enough to handle glue, staples, etc on both sides) and attach the flags. When you talk about then vs. now, you can be the scribe while he dictates his list to you. A paper airplane is easy enough to attach, too. Include a list of onomatopoeia, etc. At this age, I often included a list of books that we read.

As he sees what you're doing, he might want to write the title and/or author of the book at the top of the page, and he might like to choose a few airplane pictures to decorate. One thing I usually did was to print out a map as well.

If you keep these pages in a notebook, he can go back and revisit them, or you can wait until you have a significant number and do a review week, etc.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

I agree with Laura I've always done notebooks vice lapbooks. I've taken whatever we do and glue it into notebooks, or if it's not "glueable," I make a "pocket by gluing or taping in the correct size piece of construction paper or cardstock and making a "pocket" to put something in (like the paper airplane you made). If you talked onamonapia (sp?), then write the title and write down the list of words you discussed. Glue that in the book. If he tells you a story, you can type it out for him while he says it. Print it out and glue it in.

Another BIG thing I did was take pictures of the foods we cooked or the experiments we did. Print the pictures out (even if it's just printed out on a sheet of paper) and then glue the picture into the notebook, too. You have a visual memory of what you've done

- - - Updated - - -

FYI -- these are the "notebooks" that I've bought in the past to use I just buy a bunch at once and fill them up (of course, I've always had multiple kids working .....)
    http://www.barebooks.com/product-cat...e-bound-books/
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I do notebooks too. When the kids were younger I used to take pictures, like Paige suggested, and print them out to put in the books. I wish I could keep up with it now, but I've had to let it go because of too much going on. But we put our notebook in a 3 ring binder. I find that easier - I can hole-punch cardstock, or I often put the cardstock in page protectors. But it allows me to print off and hole-punch printer paper too, when we do things that are the right size. (For example, I printed off a diagram of the ear when we did Babar - my kids were old enough to label it at that point.) When we did Before FIAR I organized the notebooks by book rowed, but now I organize the notebook by subject using dividers. I find it easier because some books have a lot to document and some books have almost nothing.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10 1/2, ds9, ds7 1/2 and ds6.

I love this thread. My youngest Rower is beginning high school next year, my oldest Rower is in graduate school and I treasure our FIAR notebooks. I think it doesn't really matter HOW you save your work, the important thing is that you save it. These are the most precious of days.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    21 Years Homeschooling and still learning

Photos, lots & lots of photos. My husband has always joked that if our home were to catch on fire I'd probably rescue the photo books while he rescued the kids & pets. We also have a small ring bound scrapbook with a few things the kids did over the years from their rows: Puppets they made with Peter Rabbit {they put on a puppet show every night for months..}, maps they coloured {my kids are STILL into maps..}, Flags {each time someone traveled they sent us a flag so some are "real" some are just paper}, etc. Sweet memories for sure!
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra AU View Post
    Photos, lots & lots of photos. My husband has always joked that if our home were to catch on fire I'd probably rescue the photo books while he rescued the kids & pets. We also have a small ring bound scrapbook with a few things the kids did over the years from their rows: Puppets they made with Peter Rabbit {they put on a puppet show every night for months..}, maps they coloured {my kids are STILL into maps..}, Flags {each time someone traveled they sent us a flag so some are "real" some are just paper}, etc. Sweet memories for sure!
    This, exactly: photos!
    ~KayH~
    ~mom of 4, ages 15-26--Homeschooling since 1998~
    "Life was meant to be lived, and curiosity must be kept alive."~Eleanor Roosevelt