Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Language question

Default Foreign Language question

For those of you teaching a foreign language, what do you do during the summer to keep on top of the language? Review? SOmething else? I don't want to lose what we have learned (and know that we will if we take a 3 month break).

Thanks
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

We just do Rosetta Stone over and over.
    Robin, wife for 21 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

DuoLingo is a nice practice app you might like.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Thanks Robin - Your kids don't mine doing it over and over? Do you do it together?

Thanks Heather - I will look into that.
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

There are various FIAR books that are available in Spanish, like Mike Mulligan and Make Way for Ducklings. If the language is Spanish, you could read some of those. They may come in other languages as well. There are companies that sell books for public schools like Teacher's Discovery, Carlex online, Applause learning, teachers pay teachers. I've used those companies with no problems as have friends. They have graduated readers, videos, and other stuff. Graduated readers have limited vocabulary and grammar. Audible has books to listen to in Spanish. Audible probably has other languages as well. Netflix may have movies you can use. Amazon Prime may have movies. I have a friend who used the Road to Avonlea DVD series in French instead of English. I enjoyed the Road to Avonlea series in English and so did my kids.

The book Maintaining Your Second Language: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 has some great ideas I had never thought of before. I started listening to Ted Talks in Spanish. I mean some ideas float around all the time, like go to church in the language and buy Kindle books or paperback or hardback books from Amazon. She breaks it down to the four skills, reading, writing, listening, and speaking options. The book has a fair amount of resources for languages other than Spanish.

While it didn't occur in the summer, a nearby art museum has had various cultural days, Latino and Indian so far, that offer tours of the art museum in the language, exhibits by artists that speak that language, food to purchase, musicians, etc. If your language is Spanish, Lowes and Home Depot used to offer Saturday classes for little kids to make stuff. The instructions usually came in Spanish as well as English. You can learn new words that way.

There's the Extra series on youtube that came in various languages, German, French, and Spanish at least, maybe Italian too. It was a friends style video series to go with 1st year textbooks for high school kids. The clothes could be a bit skimpy and the girls were boy crazy at times but overall clean. There are many series from textbooks on youtube. learner.org has the Destinos series for Spanish. I let my kids watch that in middle school. Very cheesy but good. They would review each episode. The clothes are dated but it makes it rather funny, as do the repeated overdramatic lines.

If you need more ideas, let me know.

Jill in Monrovia

Leslie, check your library. Our local libraries offer Mango which we used on our ipad one summer. The price was right.
    Hollie, Special Needs Forum Moderator
    Wife to my best friend Tom and mom to 20yo Eli, 18yo Kyle, and 14yo Noah (with Down syndrome)
    If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. Ignacio Estrada

My son learned pretty quickly that if he didn't use Duo or RS to practice he'd have no clue what Mamma was saying & that kinda irked him big time. The biggest kick in the pants that he got {or is it lift of spirits??} was when he was doing something online that was interactive & a French speaking native came on & began typing in French. Everyone told the person to speak in English, except my child who responded back. Said French speaking native became incredibly excited & asked if my boy was from France too. My son responded down the lines of, "No, I'm just learning the language.." & the other responded back with, "You're doing amazing for a beginner!" Thus they had a rather long conversation {not the point of why he was online which cracks me up still} over verb tenses & plurals. It made my boy's desire to use the "bot chat" on Duo a big deal
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! This is very helpful!

One of my is very ... unmotivated. We are using a non-traditional method as I have some dealing with dyslexia here so I really don't want to lose any gains we have made. (The unmotivated one having made fewer gains than the other two.)

Oops - Just getting back on. No, they don't mind doing it over and over.

We have done tons of Spanish programs. We have tried ones with workbooks, we have done the ones with just audio where we all do it together, and more. We've been doing Spanish since my oldest was in K. Nothing has been successful. Nothing.

So, I just got Rosetta stone about 2 years ago. They do a few lessons every day on a laptop.

Can they speak Spanish? No. No. No. But they have incorporated some Spanish words other than 'taco' into the daily vocabulary, so I'm taking that as a win.
    Robin, wife for 21 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Leslie, you could label the house.. When I was learning Spanish Mom made us label everything we knew the words for & we had to use those words when referring to those items. It meant that those in the home not learning the language learned a bit anyway because there's only so many times you can hear someone saying something & not pick it up, kwim?
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.