Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday DECLUTTERING!

Default Thursday DECLUTTERING!

his Week's Challenge: Kitchens- clean them, organize them, work on food storage, try something new, keep tummies happy.

School Challenge: School flat surfaces

Inspiring Thought:
    There is power in words used accurately and well, and tragedy and missed train connections in words used carelessly. - Penelope Lumley

For me today:
    • sewing machine run- going this morning since there will be storms later
    • school- leave some for the boys and check in on my return
    • school planning
    • declutter my desk
    • homeschool group work- already did some yearbook work and our senior pictures are due
    • read aloud
    • clean the kitchen- assign some help
    • reading and journal
    • blog work- a lot to do and learn now that the store is set up, plus regular work
    • choir

It's a pleasant morning after a warm evening! Rain is due so I took Dan to work.

I am off to get things started today and get my 17yo moving so we can leave for our sewing machines which have been an hour away for three weeks!

Have a fabulous day!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

Good Morning

The sun didn't come out bright this morning when it came up. It was partly behind clouds but still pretty. this was in front of our house. Behind the house was dark clouds.

By time ds1 was suppose to be at work it was pretty dark and I could hear thunder in distance. He and his boss stood outside looking at sky and radar for a few mins then ds1 comes back home.
    In those few mins it had gotten really dark (street lights came back on) and thunder closer.

They are going to try to go in later. Hoping it will pass over or at least not dump to much rain.

Today:
    general straightening
    sheets

Have a great day!!
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds

Good morning!

We've got rain and storms, too! Last night our alarm system kept saying there was a tornado warning when there really wasn't...it was weird. I was up finishing my book anyway!

*laundry--one load done and another washing
    *kids' bathroom
    *finish organizing boxes
    *have dd finish her apron
    *review My Plate with the kids
    *swim team
    *Food Showdown

I'm hoping the rain will die down this evening. The event is about 45 minutes away and I've never been there, so I'd prefer not to go in storms and rush hour the first time!

Have a great day today, friends!

Good morning, all

I guess the rain ya'll are having is headed our way Saturday. Until then, it's gorgeous and sunny here and will be in the 80s today

I'm home most of the day until late afternoon, which is great! Hurray!
    -- School is on the schedule.
    -- Go over more Early College stuff with K. She had her online advising appointment yesterday (I sat in with her), and we discussed options. She signed up for Anthropology and Survey of Art for Summer II session (July 5-Aug 3) -- it'll be a good bit of work, but it'll done in a month.
    She got permission to take the honors/combined English 101/102 class because of her English ACT score, but it's on campus. Now I'm wondering if she can take an online class AND an on campus class in the fall. She needs to email the advisor and ask. If not, she may just do online classes in the fall and then go to campus in the spring. I don't want to have to deal with on campus stuff and schedules, etc., in the fall when she's trying to finish up other stuff and work. Gotta find all that out today.
    -- we need to tidy the house -- somehow it looks like it's suddenly exploded in here Plus, we're having company for the weekend, so all the guest areas need to be tidied.
    -- friends coming over to swim at 2:30
    -- then we have church softball at 5:30 and pizza supper with that.

That's our schedule for today.
    Hope ya'll have a great one!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Michelle - Glad you had a fun day with your mom yesterday!

Paige - I hope y'all are all feeling better soon!

Angela - I hope your leg/ankle improves!

Jen - I hope y'all have fun out today and don't have to navigate storms!

Just a quick note from me. Its field trip day! We are headed to Morehead Planetarium to watch a show. Then the teens are going to play basketball in the on-campus gym while the younger ones get a treat.

Hope y'all have a great day!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

It's been a long while since I posted! Today is the last day of co-op, the last BSF day with kids was on Tues. (next week is Sharing Night, but I don't have to plan to lead kids, so it isn't extra work!), school for dc is wrapping up - 1 final book to finish rowing and a few weeks of math - but that is it! I thought I'd start my annual 'deep clean' of the house since I ignore it for the most part during the school year.

Yesterday I cleaned under the stairs and the entry way. I figured I'd start with the easiest places.

For today:
    • Declutter guest room (where we store items to donate - need to actually donate things!)
    • Deep clean guest room (dust, windows, vacuum, clean lights and vent, etc.)
    • Afternoon co-op
    • Take kids to tumbling/parkour
    • Go to Zumba class
    • Read some for fun

I've had a great year teaching a FIAR class at our co-op! We've taken 2 weeks to do each book. They've been a great group who listen well and enjoy learning/doing activities. We had an odd number of weeks, so today we're rowing Harold (for just one week) and they'll eat a tiny slice of a few different pies while making purple drawings. Fun!

Hope you're all doing well! I've seen a few things here and there, but I've mostly not been on the forum at all.

Hopefully I'll be back on in the evening to update how I've done.

Have a blessed day!

Joelle - That sounds like a great way to finish the FIAR class.

Michelle - I hope the weather clears up and your son can go to work - stay safe!

HW - Congrats on launching your class!

Leslie - I hope your are having a great day at the planetarium!

Paige - How exciting for Katie! I hope you can get all the details worked out.

Jen - I hope your evening goes smoothly!

Update on my leg: the redness continued to spread. I followed instructions and left a message for the Dr., saying that I did not think it was improving because the redness and swelling had continued to grow. I got a note that she was not in the office and I could make an appointment with the NP or wait untill tomorrow. Dan did not want me to wait so I went to see the NP.
    I did NOT care for the NP's bedside manner and I will not be seeing her again if I can help it. She was talking to me like I was dumb and said that she thought the redness was dissipating and the spreading out was a sign of healing. Ok, that is great, but that is not what I was told by the Dr and I am just trying to take care of myself. Then she asked me if I was elevating it, I answered that I had been. Then she got sarcastic with me and said, "Well, have you been sitting with it elevated ALL day?" No, but I have been taking intentional breaks to rest my leg and elevate it. My house is a wreck and serves as proof to this.
    Anyway, after all that she still prescribed me another antibiotic. She wants me to take them both at the same time. The second one is a 4X a day antibiotic.
    I think I will wait and start it tomorrow, I am hoping it will improve!

so far:
    Bible
    breakfast
    called Dr
    took Logan to the orthodontist
    took kids to the Dr
    home - resting foot
    lunch
    (feeling sorry for myself )

up next:
    finish up school stuff with the kids
    start laundry
    cancel some fun things I had for this weekend, but require me to walk around for a couple of hours.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Hey all

JOELLE -- GREAT to see you Glad you're getting things done!!!

Leslie -- enjoy the field trip

Angela -- SO sorry about your leg I know it's painful! What antibiotic(s) do they have you on? Praying it gets better soon!

Worked on school here.
    Tidied before lunch -- vacuumed, cleaned kitchen, picked up STUFF from everywhere
    Worked with K on early college stuff again -- emailed the advisor -- yes, you can take an online class and an on campus class. If you make an A in the honors section of 103, it counts as Eng. 101 and 102. If not, you have to go back and take 102. That's motivation AND we found out how to find when the classes would be offered on campus so we could start thinking about the fall semester.
    LOTS of check offs to consider and look at. I'm trying to show her exactly how to use the check off sheet for degree programs and how you can take a class that fits into two "categories," but then you have to make sure you get the right series of classes. STUFF!

Plugging on along .....
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Angela -- that NP You were right to go back in. She was being a major jerk!

Joelle -- GOOD to see you

Leslie -- y'all have fun today!!

Paige -- enjoy friend time

Jen -- hoping rain goes away and traffic isn't bad

I am a complete doofus
    I have emptied all blankets, sheets, sleeping bags etc. from totes and space bags. Now I am trying to put them in space bags according to use. (winter bed stuff 1 bag, sleeping bags together, blankets don't use but keep for back up etc). Thought it would be easy job

Rain stopped, ds1 is working.

Ds2 has been doing school & currently eating lunch..leftovers

I have also:
    • washed & dried my sheets
    • washed boys sheets & moved to dryer
    • started my winter comforter washing...it will be put away today

Currently I am eating popcorn for my lunch . I wanted a coke with it but think we are out
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 19yo ds, 16yo ds

Joelle- Great to see you! Good job on finishing the year and getting started with your cleaning work.

Paige- It is a lot at once to get your kids set up for their next phase. I'm sure it is made more interesting by the fact that she will continue to go to school there after her senior year. With Rebecca, she took two courses at the community college and used them for high school credit. Her university does not accept dual credit. They would take her college classes, but not if they are on her high school transcript and that's where we wanted them specifically for an admission boost. Her financial aid is squared away, but it is less than we expected. They do not use the FAFSA guidelines. So, that is a bust. New strategy required to get that set and scholarships nor staying home (next year since they have a first year residency requirement) change her or our expected contribution.

Jen- I hope the weather is clear this evening for you and what event is this one?

Michelle- I think it would be cooler on the POH. I'm headed there shortly. What color is your bathroom now?

Leslie- I hope it's a good field trip for you! You sure take a lot of field trips!

AR- I hate to be treated like an idiot. Hopefully your leg will improve. It's not like you ran in without considering it.

Since earlier:
    • made a lunch
    • work drop
    • got kids moving
    • assigned the kitchen
    • killed a bunch of ants- it's that time of the year Spraying happens this weekend on the foundation.
    • made the trip to the sewing machine shop- picked up our three machines and R got a look a the functioning ruffler along with some tips.
    • headed to the bulk food store- had lunch in the cafe and picked up some spices and dried fruit
    • back home- had a kid bring back the recycling bins
    • the boys at home cleaned the kitchen- it looks AMAZING!
    • trash was collected- and I think put out
    • checked in on blog stuff- the courses are selling!

Now I think I'll head to the POH and figure out how to bundle my courses properly in the store.

- - - Updated - - -

Michelle- it's an emergency! Sound the alarm! And go get yourself a coke!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).