Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday DECLUTTERING!

Default Friday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Kitchens- clean them, organize them, work on food storage, try something new, keep tummies happy.

School Challenge: Tidy up from this week of school.

Inspiring Thought:
    Time in nature is not leisure time; it's an essential investment in our children's health (and also, by the way, in our own). - Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

For me today:
    • school
    • school planning
    • art time
    • read aloud
    • clean my desk
    • tidy up in general
    • laundry
    • put up books
    • head to botanic gardens- if the sun comes out (get more senior pictures)
    • reading time
    • blog work

It's a cloudy morning and it's humid going to about 80* today. The house is unpleasant with the humidity and if we make comments Dan reminds us it was snowing on Sunday.

The plumbing issue may be a broken seal under the toilet in the powder room. Or, it could simply be cold, cold water going through the pipes and with the sudden heat and humidity it could be sweating so that it appears to be leaking and out with it comes any misses from use that gather under there anyway. I'm always cleaning the base of the potty and I'm sure some is just under the base where I can't clean it. I cleaned up the limited mess and will do a better job later on, but until he has a look that potty is off limits. He's replaced it once and they aren't supposed to need it a lot. Plumbing lesson for the day- there is a circular wax seal that goes on the floor around the pipe and the potty sits on top of it. Now and then you do need to replace it if the wax gets old and brittle or maybe if it wasn't placed correctly.

If the sun comes out even a little, Rebecca and I will head to the botanic gardens on campus and get some more pictures. I should get some more of her around campus like at the clock tower- some iconic locations. We'll see if the sun even shines today though.

Have a fun-filled Friday!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good morning!

Botanic gardens sound lovely, Heather!!

We had a good time last night. Neither of the kids' teams placed, but they had fun and we went out to IHOP with friends afterward. Got home about 10:45 and just dumped the tubs in the kitchen, so I'm going to have to deal with that today!

*our bathroom
    *our sheets
    *sweep/mop
    *clean up food showdown stuff
    *meeting about camp
    *take ds to thrift store?
    *have kids pack for tomorrow night
    *library for author event--probably dinner before

And we have about 2 hours left on our book today--hopefully the speakers won't give me trouble today!

Have a great day today, friends!

Good morning!

Today's list:
    * make dessert for get together tonight
    * school (very minimal)
    * core exercises at gym?
    * help at meal fundraiser for co-op
    * finish in guest room
    * start work on laundry room?
    * read some

Heather - Hope the toilet can be fixed easily. Enjoy the time at the botanical gardens

Jen - who is the author? I know you've seen some pretty famous authors before. Fun.

Looking for info re. OYAN that several of you have done. What is the target age for that? Are there instructors who guide students? How involved is the parent? Any other info you think would be good for me to know. Dd was in writing classes both semesters. She loved it. She wants more to do over the summer (and beyond) but I'm no help. While there is a plethora of art and sports activities in our community, I can't find anything for writing. boo. All advice welcome.

Have a fab day!
    Last edited by JoelleH; 05-04-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Hello Ladies,

Joelle - Have you looked at the free writing workshop on HW's blog? That may be good for the summer.
    What dessert are you making?

HW - I hope it is just the seal and not a bigger issue. I was explaining to dh about the seal the other day, because we have a funky smell in our bathroom when the weather gets warm and humid. We can't find the source...yuck!
    I hope the sun cooperates and you can get some good pictures today!

Jen- That is a late night! I hope your day goes smoothly.

Update on my infected bug bite:
    It looks better this morning so I don't think I will start that second antibiotic. Dh agreed that it looked much improved, so I feel pretty good about that. The area that swells is starting to itch and it may also have some kind of rash (?) it is hard to tell because it is all inflamed.
    I rested with my foot elevated a lot yesterday and even slept on my back with that foot resting on a pillow for most of the night and it really seemed to help.
    I'm bummed because I am missing out on some fun stuff this week in an effort to stay off of my foot (used curriculum sale yesterday, another one Saturday, making coffee at church Sunday, and going to an outdoor art & craft show on Sunday), but I need to take care of myself...so there it is.

Logan has a game tonight and I may not go. We will see how my foot is doing this evening before I decide. The antibiotics also make me sensitive to the sun so I don't want to overdo it in that way either.

so far:
    Bible reading
    breakfast
    got kids started on school work/ rested foot
    shower
    rested foot again

up next:
    start laundry
    botany experiment with kids (food coloring, celery, and carnations; an oldie, but we have never done it)
    reading lesson with Logan while resting foot

Have a great Friday ladies!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Joelle- First, you asked yesterday where Rebecca is going and she's going to Cornell. She was accept early admission to their fashion design program. Woot!

OYAN
    - Is designed for 8th grade through 12th grade. FABULOUS program, but I think 8th is the earliest to try it because it requires some heady thinking. However, you might enjoy Cover Story which is the middle school program for writing a magazine. Your student will write articles and features for a magazine on a favorite topic. It's made by the same teachers as OYAN and it's full video instruction. The conversations you will have with your student are wonderful and I can't recommend their curriculum enough- all of it!

AR mentioned my free writer's workshop. You can sign up and work through it. It's in a great format now with my learning management software- easy to access and follow. It's designed to work with a group of kids. You could easily facilitate it yourself or you can choose to do it as a family.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Making progress!

*our sheets are clean and back on the bed
    *our bathroom is clean
    *swept and mopped the downstairs tiled areas--if I have time this afternoon I'll vacuum, too...
    *started washing food showdown stuff--cloth stuff has been through the washer and is drying now, just a few items left to hand wash
    *lots of listening to Echo--SUCH a great audiobook!!!

Joelle, we're seeing Pam Munoz Ryan, who wrote Esperanza Rising and Echo--and a lot of other things, but that's what we've read and loved--we have less than an hour left of Echo now. Nothing like the last minute!

Angela, I'm glad your leg is doing better!

Now we'll listen a bit more before we head out to the camp meeting!

Heather - I hope you have pretty weather and are able to get the photos that you want!

Jen - Have fun finishing your book. What fun to go to see her! Loved both of those books!

Joelle - I hope you are able to find something fun writing wise for the summer.

Angela - I'm glad your foot/ankle is doing better. So sorry you are having to miss out on fun things you wanted to do.

Slow day here. Eliana is doing some good work, but also has the start of maybe a cold? Her nose started running late yesterday. *sigh* Several of my boys have allergies, but this just started so I'm not sure. Its hard to tell with her. So I cancelled her therapy for today as she doesn't participate all that well for this therapist anyway.

Boys are sluggish and I need to go light a fire for a couple of them. Trying to get one on a fast track to getting some things done but he is SOOOOO lazy! UGH!

No other plans for today. Want to do something for a precious friend who's dad just died and trying to figure out how to best help.

Hope y'all have a great day.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

So far:
    • made a lunch
    • made breakfast
    • answered customer questions and another course question
    • researched product bundling- I may be unlocking the secret!
    • discussed math with the 7th grader
    • went over math with the 10th grader- he is finishing a Fred book and using CTC to accomplish it. It's complicated, but it's working for him.
    • started laundry
    • cleaned up the kitchen- after breakfast (trying to discourage visitors)

The grass is getting greener and the forsythia are all the way out after a few warm sunny days. The red bud is getting ready to pop. The under brush is really coming out green, but unless they are early trees, they are lagging. Bare branches everywhere!

I think it's too windy for the arboretum this afternoon and the sun is not out. So, we'll wait and try this weekend. I think we can get some pretty pictures there and I wanted some just of the flowering plants and trees.

Time to get going with some more school, but I haven't eaten so I will do that first.

good afternoon! The sun is out which is grand! But, it's still windy. I don't think we want windy pictures.

Spent a while talking about her plans and she's decided to start her sewing offerings on my blog! She has some amazing ideas for video sewing courses.

Time to switch laundry and add more. I think I can hang some out now which is awesome!

Good afternoon from my porch

I had a lot of comments but I got sidetracked and now forgot. I will remember them while doing supper and clean up..

Today:
    • had been warm & cloudy
    • ds1 worked
    • ds2 did school
    • went to wm to let ds2 pick out cake he wants and look at a couple things
    • game stop -- ds2 went in to look & chat with cool guy in there...I went in dollar tree next door and picked up couple items
    • vanity fair...ds2 tried on shirt he wanted
    • ds2 mowed yard ...I ran back to VF and got shirt he wanted (bday present)
    • talked (on porch) with ds2 about summer projects and next school year
    • looked at projects & started making lists
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds