Thread: Saturday DECLUTTERING!

Default Saturday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Kitchens- clean them, organize them, work on food storage, try something new, keep tummies happy.

School Challenge: Long range planning and prep

Inspiring Thought: The moonlight had turned the gardens into a fairyland, magnificent and mysterious. - The Penderwicks

For me today:
    • make breakfast- keep kitchen tidy
    • book sale
    • blog work
    • school planning
    • dust
    • pictures at the gardens
    • laundry
    • play a game or do something fun

Dh is doing house projects this weekend. I will be doing blog and school work and having fun in there somewhere.

Have a fun Saturday!
    Last edited by Heather W; 05-05-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: adding today's quote!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good Morning Ladies

CH1: Yes! My goal is just to clean off the counters which are decluttered and messy. I think I'll be happy with that as I am still trying to stay of my foot.

CH2: Yes! On my list; come up with a hard date to end, order end of year tests; start looking toward next year (I've already been doing this, but I need to gather my notes and put it on paper).

so far:
    Bible reading
    I'm dressed and ready
    my bag is packed
    have all four of Ashlyn's dance recital costumes together for pictures

up next:
    do her hair - I'm not great at this!
    head out for pictures, will take a couple of hours
    H and L both have a game at 11:30. Thankfully they are both at the same complex so Dan can take them both.

later:
    home and rest
    challenges
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Good Morning!
    Looks like we're going to have a nice weather day. Yesterday was very windy and we had a line of storms move through. Thankfully, we stayed just on the edge of it, and it's cooled things down some. The last couple days have been full-on summer. It's been great for the trees though. They are finally getting their baby leaves! Currently 64*F and heading to the mid-70s. We had some lovely sun earlier but right now it's a bit cloudy.

So far:
    • email management and some blog reading
    • put a book on hold at the library
    • did the early morning WM shopping run
    • unloaded groceries and put all the cold stuff away
    • did a little kitchen tidy and finally got a little breakfast

For the rest of TODAY:
    • kitchen clean-up
    • book tidy up... I have books everywhere
    • tidy up my work spot in the living room
    • work on final tutoring lessons for this session + progress reports
    • school planning
    • what's for supper?... I have some chicken thawed and ready for something
    • laundry
    • take Jesse with to return pants and look for larger size; if can't find anything bigger, go to Kohls.... new concert attire needed for next weekend!

This will pretty much be my day. I have one more day (next Wed) of tutoring at the center, until summer session starts in June. I'm looking forward to finishing strong with our homeschool, plus getting a little free time to organize and think about next year's studies for ds11. We've had a good year; I need to take some things up a notch though. Particularly, I'd like to get more notebooking established with him. He loves writing and illustrating fiction, and is very good at it, but we need to get in bits of non-fiction writing and narration.

Have a great day!

HeatherW--
    Hope you get those pictures squared away today.

Angela-- I was never good with hair either. I was so glad when Erica was finally able to do her own dance buns.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (4th gr).

AR- I hope the dance part of your day goes well and you can rest your leg. I'm sorry to hear you had to miss the curriculum sales. How's your leg looking today?

Cindy- Great to see you! I have books everywhere too especially since I brought quite a few home today.

So far:
    • finished a business page for my website
    • made breakfast
    • made a book list for the sale- I was particularly on the look out for books by David McCullough
    • started today's laundry
    • book sale- we had a great time and I found ALL of the David McCullough books!
    • the kitchen cabinet fronts were cleaned- bottom cabinets by J with Murphy's Oil Soap. They were in need!
    • the upper ones will be done by E- when he is feeling better
    • webs were gotten with the web master by I15
    • R is doing touch up painting in her room- color mistakes in a few spots
    • Dan painted her closet with two coats of white paint today- the painting is in the home stretch
    • dishwasher was unloaded- and mostly loaded again
    • hung up some dress clothes
    • folded a load of laundry
    • put our sheets in the dryer- I have plenty to fold so this might the only load I wash today.

The book sale line was superb today! The man who was behind us in line is a rare book collector who has a book shop and he's been all over the world to various out of the way book shops. It was fun to find out where he travels. I asked him the best spot in the world and he noted Cartahena. Very fun and we were in line for an hour so that was good conversation. Three people back was a shark researcher. Only in our town!

We spent more than I intended, but it's been a long time since I've been to the sale and found everything I wanted just about. They had a photo booth with book covers making a frame and we had fun with that in our long stay in line. But, they had a book up there from the author I was seeking and that started a conversation about his books. I'm reading Mornings on Horseback about Theodore Roosevelt and he was saying how the book about the Johnstown Flood was so good. I told him about the book I'm reading and he asked if it was good. I replied that yeah because Theodore Roosevelt was a dude. He goes, Yeah he was - like the Great American Bada$$. He totally was though. ha!

I even found titles that are newer than the list I had which is pretty awesome. My historian will like them and so will I. This author is really good- it's non fiction that is crazy compelling and so well written into a narrative.

Ok...I think I will work in the kitchen for a while and then do some web work. Dh has gone to Lowe's for some supplies and I am hoping the sun lasts, but the clouds are becoming more numerous. I have to wait for the golden hour anyway. We'll see what happens!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Whew! I'm back!

leg update
    : It looks much better. The redness directly at the bite-site has dissipated and the rest of the redness has lessened greatly.
    There is a rash (?) on my inner ankle where the swelling has been the worst. And it itches. really. bad.
    It continues to improve, which I am thankful for.!
    Thank you for asking and praying!

HW - I'm so glad that you found good deals at your book sale and had good conversation! Was the author of the Johnstown Flood book David McCollough? I didn't realize he had a book about the Johnstown Flood. Dan's maternal grandparents are from there and Dan's great-grandmother was in the flood as a young girl. She was literally being washed away when a neighbor reached out and grabbed her! I'll have to get that book for Dan.

Cindy - Your break will be well-deserved! I always think the June weather is the best!
    Yes, I will be glad when Ashlyn can do her own hair.

After the dance pictures, Ash and I ran into JoAnn's. We needed crazy glue and I wanted to look at the yarn....I was really tempted to buy some, but didn't. I took pictures and will see if I can find a pattern that works with the yarn before I purchase.

Up next:
    school planning
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

HeatherW-- Was the book sale at your library? That was great luck to find exactly what you were looking for.

• put away all the groceries
    • refilled the shampoo pumper in the shower and put some bleach all the floor
    • made some roasted broccoli before it went bad... bought some more this morning
    • lunch done and cleaned up
    • washed up some mixing bowls and such
    • loaded and ran dishwasher
    • went to the ReStore with dh, looking for furniture for Erica... anything that was nice was already sold.
    • finished tidying up the kitchen counters
    • started table pile decluttering

Maybe I'll switch to working on books and my work spot in the living room. There was a fairly decent table at the ReStore that would work great for the living room, in place of the old computer desk we are currently using. It's a trestle table, but was a bit wobbly. It was cheap! And we could paint it I'm sure. I don't think dh thought much of my idea though. We'll see. We would still need a bench for it. I don't know. They also had an old retro table with metal legs. Remember those?
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (4th gr).

Angela-- I read about your bug bite. I'm glad it's getting better.

made some roasted idaho and sweet potatoes... suppose to be for supper, but I've been snacking on them
    chicken is finishing up baking
    sorted through one large book pile and shelved them accordingly
    picked up the lego boxes from ds11's birthday in March and put them out to the recycling bin
    picked up another messy living room spot

Dh got called to his parent's this afternoon to clean up a carpet mess. Apparently, his mom had a little yucky bathroom issue and didn't make it there in time. His dad can't get down on the floor to clean or scrub the carpet, so yeah. I hope it wasn't too bad. He should be home in 30 minutes or so.

Supper is ready, so I guess the rest of us will eat.

Happy Saturday to everyone!

Today was my last early Saturday until the fall - woohoo! We had a nice leader's fellowship time for BSF at someone's home this morning. Lots of yummy food and lots of good sharing about what God taught each person this year in our study of Romans.

Haven't done much else:
    • finished up a little bit of cleaning work in the laundry room - that room is now done.
    • took several boxes/bags to the thrift store
    • took in some recycling that can't go curbside
    • got a car wash at the newly opened place a mile away (haven't washed the van since probably October - it needed it!!)
    • got a few cards at the Christian book store

I think I'll read some now and plan out the week. Not sure if I'll do any more cleaning for the day. I think not. I'm tired from getting up early. And from the errands.

Cindy - I like your new avatar! You've probably had it for awhile, I've just not been here. I'm assuming it is an Indians game? Who did they play?
    Yea! Idaho potatoes

Angela - I'm not good at doing hair either. Dd took over doing her hair full time around age 10. I'm glad to not have that duty anymore!
    Glad your bug bite is getting - yea!

Heather - glad found a lot of books at the sale.
    I used some Murhpy's Oil Soap this past week in my cleaning. It is a bottle we got almost 20 years ago It was a little goopy :P But it still worked!

Weather is so interesting and varied throughout the US. We've had full-on leaves for several weeks. We never had much of a winter this year. Last year was a 'once every 20 years' crazy amount of snow (which was opposite for the rest of the US it seems!)

Have a lovely rest of the day!

Hi everyone Sitting on my front porch enjoying the birds singing and sunshine

It rained last night/early morning then again at one point today. It has been mostly cloudy today but pretty now. And cooled off some too.

Not much done today:
    • coffee on porch with dh
    • bank - drive thru
    • grocery
    • cooked lunch
    • read
    • nap
    • read
    • patted out burgers for freezer
    • browned ground beef for freezer
    • cleaned kitchen
    • straightened living room
    • straightened dining room
    • ate supper - leftovers
    • more porch time
    I
    Dh is working at museum tonight, grilling again for a concert this time. Concert is Elton John tribute band. I like Elton John but concert isn't free and I don't have the extra money.

I might go sit in my backyard and listen. Sometimes we can hear the concerts. For Charlie Daniels we sat in the parking lot across the street and listened.
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

Cindy- Our county library has a HUGE sale twice a year for three weekends. It's enormous. It's a two college town and the books are amazing. It's a giant warehouse. People camp out the night before to get a spot in line on the first morning. The line to get in goes around the block on the first day. On the first day the prices are the highest and you have the best choice. Each day of the sale (three day weekends from Saturday-Monday) the prices go down. The Monday of the last weekend the books are a dime. The following day, the very last Tuesday, you can fill a bag for a dollar! I like going the first morning because you have the best selection of books that go fast like field guides. The have two rows of history the length of the warehouse broken up into topics or time periods. I was looking for books from one author, but they aren't organized that way. So, I feel blessed to have found his books in the sea of books there. Now, he's a popular history writer, but he's new to me and I knew Isaac would like them. He's devouring the one about the Wright Brothers now. He didn't want to go this morning which is unusual, but I brought him a stack and he's excited to read them. So, win! The books are the most expensive today ($4.50 for hardbacks and non mass paperback in the adult section), but it was worth it.

Since earlier:
    • worked in the kitchen loading the dishwasher and washing some dishes
    • took R out to get some pictures- they turned out ok. Sort of fun, but they aren't amazing I guess.
    • exchanged a propane tank
    • stopped for some ice cream half gallons
    • made up burgers and a salad for dinner
    • worked on my blog's footer- earlier today
    • read an article on compliance with EU law- annoying law for online businesses
    • read an article my mil sent me from the Washington Post
    • rested a while- I like to lay on the floor of our studio in the doorway while dh is at his computer. I told him today I'll need a fluffy rug if we put wood in there. Which I totally want.
    • downloaded the new free Audible book- on American Pharaoh. It was to be a gift if Audible the racehorse had won the Derby today, but I suspected we'd get it no matter what!

That pretty much brings me to this moment. I'm a little tired after walking all over campus today!

Tomorrow will be cooler and maybe cloudier so I'm glad we went today. I guess Monday or the next nice day we'll get to the botanic gardens on campus. I also took some botanical pictures today and that's another reason I want to get to the arboretum. I took some pictures near a waterfall grotto that's part of the botanic gardens. It's at the edge of the President's garden. Pretty cute. I don't remember seeing it before.

I never finished making my list today, so I need to see what would be a good idea to do next.