Thread: Why do YOU love FIAR?!

Default Why do YOU love FIAR?!

I get shining object syndrome very easy and it is now curriculum buying season. Sooo....for all those people like me I thought it would be fun to comment why we love and choose FIAR! Keeping my blinders on this year-FIAR all the way!

I love FIAR because as Jane said in a podcast I heard, it is like a cruise ship...you are always moving forward but you can stop and see the sights at any time and never feel behind. When you are done you can hop right back onto your journey!

I am going to share on the facebook page as well Share your reasons below!

Brooke, I love that quote from Jane -- I have not heard it before! That's a great analogy!

I love the relationship it builds and the JOY of learning that it inspires! My kids (3 are teens now) STILL talk about their rows and relate things to FIAR books and what we've learned. THAT's what it's all about!!!! And they pull out the books to read them to their younger brother just for fun!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

That is a great quote!

I love that it helps me to make sweet memories with my children while we are learning. I feel that Jane has taught me how to be a better mom and teacher. And its all so much FUN!!!
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

I’ve been finished with FIAR for a long time but now I’m helping my daughters have these wonderful books for my grandchildren and I taught a FIAR co-op class last fall, which was fun!

I’ve loved it all these years because it was not only fun for MY KIDS, but fun for ME as well. We learned SO MUCH about art that several of my kids went on to take more art classes in high school. As a family, we just have great memories, even my older kids who did not actually use FIAR, but participated in the fun the younger kids were having. We still talk about it and reference certain books and have family jokes based on lines from some of the books. So for us, FIAR lives on as we start a new generation with these great lessons and books.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

I love it because it is flexible, yet structured, it is gentle, yet deep learning, and because it is enjoyable to myself and my children.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10 1/2, ds9, ds7 1/2 and ds6.

I would agree with everyone else! I happen to love quality picture books and picture book art, and the way both engage a child in learning! The concept is a beautiful one, and the books chosen for FIAR are classics in so many ways!

Learning from good literature, repetition, gentle learning, beautiful art, understandable lessons and concepts, unforgettable stories and characters... and on and on.... I can't say enough!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    I’ve been finished with FIAR for a long time but now I’m helping my daughters have these wonderful books for my grandchildren and I taught a FIAR co-op class last fall, which was fun!

I’ve loved it all these years because it was not only fun for MY KIDS, but fun for ME as well. We learned SO MUCH about art that several of my kids went on to take more art classes in high school. As a family, we just have great memories, even my older kids who did not actually use FIAR, but participated in the fun the younger kids were having. We still talk about it and reference certain books and have family jokes based on lines from some of the books. So for us, FIAR lives on as we start a new generation with these great lessons and books.
    Joy: I am also way past the years of FIAR (until grandchildren!), but have often thought about starting a FIAR co-op class! Can you share a little bit of how that went for you, how you planned it out, etc.? I think I would thoroughly enjoy the process, just curious how to implement the "five times a week" part, among other things.
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

Shelly, my class was one semester, once a week for an hour, so I couldn’t do a lot. I picked out my books (I can give you a list if you want) and usually did some sort of art, some sort of food (I usually premade something), a science lesson, and some other hands-on activity. My kids were on the young-side, mostly 4-5, so some things worked better than others. I was so enthusiastic, I wanted to do as many books as possible but some books could have been rowed for 2 weeks. Also, some books just do not seem to lend themselves to a co-op class. I felt like I needed a book with lots of hands-on activities but not research or lots of discussion. We did discuss but they didn’t participate very well. They liked videos (like sheep shearing and cork harvesting) and they liked art. They were pretty picky with the food items but I knew they would be. I learned a lot and their moms told me the next semester the kids were still talking about things we did. I think their VERY favorite activities were building with cranberries and toothpicks and “mining” for coal in a cave I made.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    Shelly, my class was one semester, once a week for an hour, so I couldn’t do a lot. I picked out my books (I can give you a list if you want) and usually did some sort of art, some sort of food (I usually premade something), a science lesson, and some other hands-on activity. My kids were on the young-side, mostly 4-5, so some things worked better than others. I was so enthusiastic, I wanted to do as many books as possible but some books could have been rowed for 2 weeks. Also, some books just do not seem to lend themselves to a co-op class. I felt like I needed a book with lots of hands-on activities but not research or lots of discussion. We did discuss but they didn’t participate very well. They liked videos (like sheep shearing and cork harvesting) and they liked art. They were pretty picky with the food items but I knew they would be. I learned a lot and their moms told me the next semester the kids were still talking about things we did. I think their VERY favorite activities were building with cranberries and toothpicks and “mining” for coal in a cave I made.
    Thank you, Joy! I printed this off for future reference! Sounds like fun!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)