Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Book Thread Week 20, May 13 to 19

Default Mom's Book Thread Week 20, May 13 to 19

Hi! Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

What are you reading these days?

I've started a book I got through ILL. (My first time using ILL -- so exciting! Lol.) It's The American Granddaughter by Inaam Kachachi. It came across country to me from Bellevue College's library, so I appreciate them sharing it since copies seem scarce. I came across this title in GQ's list of 21 Books You Don't Have to Read. The list suggests The American Granddaughter instead of Catch-22 (which I read for the first time last year anyway).

Very good so far.

At the beginning of America's occupation of Iraq, Zeina returns to her war-torn homeland as an interpreter for the US Army. Her formidable grandmother, the only family member that Zeina believes she has in Iraq, gravely disapproves of her granddaughter's actions. Then Zeina meets Haider and Muhaymin, two "brothers" she knows nothing of, and falls deeply in love with Muhaymin, a militant in the Al Mehdi Army. These experiences force her to question all her values.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Happy Mother's Day!

I'm rewarding myself today with some catch up time in my garden, and hopefully a little reading as well. I've been swamped with textbook proofing and final grading, so my pleasure reading has been minimal lately. But I did finish my audio book of The Love Songs of Queenie Hennessy last week. It was lovely, and if any of you have read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye, you need to read this book. It makes the first story so much richer--you hear from and about some of the characters from the first book that we only got to know on the surface. It is a great companion read. That said, I don't think I would have enjoyed it near as much if I hadn't read Harold Frye--it relies so much on understanding that story and the characters of Harold and his wife that I can't imagine I would have enjoyed or appreciated it without that context. It also focuses quite a bit on loss and dying, so if that's difficult for you to read about, this probably isn't the book for you.

I also started my next book club read a few weeks ago, and have been trying to read it in spurts. Now I can work on it in earnest! It's Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier. It is quite intriguing so far, so I'm excited to see how it unfolds. I've seen the movie version, but a long time ago, so my memory of it is sketchy (I'm glad of that!).
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

Happy Mother's Day friends!

I started reading The Good People by Hannah Kent because Julia's description last week intrigued me. I haven't gotten too far with it yet, and can't say it's hooked me at this point, but this may be one of those that has to build up a little.
    ~eclectic homeschooling mom of 3

I finished A Child From the Sea by Elizabeth Goudge. I think you were right, Kathleen. It just wasn’t the right time for me to read it. I’m glad I finished it but the ending depressed me a little.

Now I’m reading a couple of things (actually 4). I started Snobs by Julian Fellowes. I like his books/screenplays because, you know, England. So I had read a couple of chapters but 2 books came in at the library and I thought I’d better read those first. I started an e-book, Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney. It’s a look back at her life by a feisty older woman who has lived in New York for years and has no intention of ever leaving. I’m also reading Trials if the Earth by Mary Mann Hamilton. It’s the biography of a pioneer woman in the Mississippi Delta in the late 1800s. And last, my daughter gave me Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh for Mother’s Day and I’ve just started it. I think it’s a book to read very slowly.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    It's Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier.
    I love that book - I need to reread it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    I’m also reading Trials if the Earth by Mary Mann Hamilton. It’s the biography of a pioneer woman in the Mississippi Delta in the late 1800s. .
    So glad to see someone else reading this! My dh bought it for me at a book fair just because he knew it was the type of book I would like. He was right.

I finished my Lamplighter book and am slowly reading through My Southern Journey: True Stories from the Heart of the South, by Rick Bragg. I think Joy recommended this? Thank you - I do like his writing. I really enjoyed the chapters on food, and now I'm into "craft," about his writing, so that's really appealing to me.

- - - Updated - - -
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 22 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I love Rick Bragg! I always read his column in Southern Living as soon as my copy comes! I listened to that book on audio and really enjoyed his Southern drawl, which is much more beautiful than my “country” one.
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

I'm chiming in again (it's somewhat "summer" here )

I haven't read anything stellar at all (in terms of literary merit), but when Jim and I went to San Diego a few weeks ago, I took two David Baldacci books with me. I have not read his books in 20 years, probably, but was looking for a bit of suspense and just FUN reading, so I picked up two books in a series. Well, the series is a 6 book one, and I've finished the entire series since I've been home (I told you I'm a book addict once I start reading). So, in the last 3 weeks, I've read the whole Will Robie series.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Stacia, I had to giggle over your excitement over ILL'ing your book. I ILL all of my books. That is the reality of living in a rural area.

I read a few books this past week. For book club, I read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. There has been so much hype over this book that I did not expect to like it. Surprise!! I loved it! There is so much to think about! There is quite a bit of nasty language but I was able to look past it (not always is this true.)

I also read a suspense by Lisa Jewell, Then She Was Gone. This was quite bizarre but I liked this one, too.
    Oh, and I also read The Read Aloud Family by Sarah Mackenzie. I have always (and still do) read to my kids so I didn't really need to read this but it was as on Kindle for 2.99 so I caved. It was a good read. I appreciated her suggestions on discussion starters with your kids. The one thing I did not like was her book list for high schoolers. Most of the books were middle grade novels. I would have liked to have more meatier titles on that list.

Right now I am reading I Was Anastasia by Ariel Lawhorn. It is an historical fiction about a woman who claims to be Anastasia Romanov, whose Imperial family was executed by the Bolsheviks in 1918. I am also reading Maude by Melanie Fishbane, a fictional account of L.M.Montgomery's life. I'm looking forward to diving into these books.
    Julia
    mom of 3 -- dd (18), ds (17) and dd (15)

Lol, Julia. Yes, I'm so excited to have finally tried ILL!

And, I did finish my ILL book The American Granddaughter by Inaam Kachachi. This is not your typical war book. It is not the book you expect. Lots of food for thought, though strangely vague at times too. It has an interesting narrative style too, which some might like or some might hate. Sometimes it's as if the "writer" persona (of the main character) steps outside of herself to comment because she herself is editing or changing the story or perspective. No easy answers here. I am very glad to have read this.

I think this is a good review of it.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Hi. I've been floundering and not finding anything that I want to read. I was reading MMD's summer picks and I think I'm going to start with something that looks light. Hopefully, I'm going to read, I'll Be Your Blue Skyby Marisa de los Santos. I'll keep you posted. I remember being fairly despondent when my oldest daughter was getting ready to leave for college. THAT'S been awhile (like 6 years I think). I THOUGHT that I would be much more pragmatic about it with the rest but apparently, I am just NOT very good at letting my children leave. A senior , junior, sophomore and 8th grader this year makes me think that I am going to get a LOT of practice. It feels like the next stage of my life is just around the corner and frankly, I have absolutely NO IDEA what that will look like. Deep breath..this too shall pass. HOPEFULLY, I can start reading again. It's frustrating not to be able to turn to such an old friend when a bit of escapism is just what I need! I'll keep you posted. Thanks for posting your reads. I love reading your reviews.
    IN THE END, ONLY KINDNESS MATTERS
    Mom to 5 girls and 5 furry kids too
    20 Years Homeschooling and still learning