Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Attire question AND Rebe needs a mother of the groom dress

Default Wedding Attire question AND Rebe needs a mother of the groom dress

Some of our best friendsí daughter (And one of Katieís best friends) is getting married next weekend at 430. My nicest ďchurchy/dressyĒ dress is a lace cream dress. Way back when it was NOT socially permitted for anyone other than the bride to wear white/cream to the wedding. Is that still the rule (I think Iíve seen others wearing it recently). What do you think?

Iím going to try to post a pic ....
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Finally..... Here's a sideways picture of the dress
    dress.JPG

What do you think? Okay to wear or find something else?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I say where what you are comfortable in.. but then I told people if they were more comfortable in pj's that was fine to come to my wedding in.

I'm still down the lines of "only the bride wears white.." but honestly I don't keep up with fashion & rules that apply so..
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Well, just my opinion but this is the South with all our fashion rules which are more relaxed but still there in a lot of ways. I would probably find something else. Have you got Dress Barn? I find nice, inexpensive things there and they give you lots of text coupons. Also Penney’s has some cute dresses on sale right now. (Which were not as great a bargain before Easter )
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

I was taught not to wear white/off-white or black to a wedding. Old habits die hard. So I would probably find another dress, but that may not be the case in all regions of the country or with all types of weddings (less formal ones, maybe?).

- - - Updated - - -

Can I piggyback on this thread since we have a wedding theme going?

I'm soon to be the mother of the groom -- any ideas on where I should look for a dress? 3:30 outdoor wedding in August, then evening reception inside.

I really don't know how formal to be. I'm going to assume that whatever I feel comfortable in is okay. But I'm not used to shopping for dresses!
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 22 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Thank ya'll for being honest I know I can get REAL answers here I'll find something else......

Rebe, here are 5 pages of "mother of the bride" dresses at JcPenny. I would NOT wear a long, floor-length dress. Of these, which ones do you like the best? Based on that, maybe we can help you shop (Btw, right now, JcPenny has 60% off of anything over $100...... -- they have GREAT coupons usually!).

https://www.jcpenney.com/g/mother-of...r_of_the_bride

Belk also usually has a great selection of dresses, but their prices usually are not as good (JcPenny's coupons usually make the prices decent).
    You can also find stuff on Amazon -- I've used Shay's Amazon Prime trick, and I'll buy a number of dresses in various sizes, find one that works, and then ship the rest back with free shipping

35097BA6-3249-4639-A1D1-02B14B5E3524.jpg

How about this outfit??? Is it too casual??? Itís a knit maxi skirt and top.

B6082B83-4839-483E-A88F-56431119F026.jpg

Here’s another option — skirt with navy, white, and coral with a navy lacy top (I’d wear a white camisole under it)????

What do you think???? Or do I need a dress of some kind?

Sunny South Florida ~ 3 miles from the beach!

Paige ~ I would wear whatever you like and feel comfortable in.

Rebe ~ I bought two mother-of-the-groom dresses at Dillard's. I would ask the bride whether she wants you to wear a short or long dress. Also it is best to wait until the bride's mother has bought her dress, so you can coordinate outfits and not choose the same color.
    Alicia <>< Wife to Jeff; 3 great sons ~ Josh married to Jessica, dgds Madeline Spring and Caroline Bryant ~ Ethan married to Holly, dgds Annaleigh Grace and Addison Joy ~ and Micah.