Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Attire question AND Rebe needs a mother of the groom dress

Rebe, since you are the mother of the groom, the bride’s mother is supposed to choose her dress first and then you get something along the same lines in a color complimentary to the wedding colors. Did she already talk to you about it???

- - - Updated - - -

Paige, I like the brighter blue one! Pretty!!
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Paige, I like the navy, white, and coral one, but I think either look great.

Thanks for the tips on how to go about getting the dress -- I guess I need to talk to the bride's mom!

I can't shop online for clothes, so it looks like I'll be headed to the mall. JCP, Dillards, Macy's - I'll give them all a look. I actually would rather have a longer dress - floor length is fine as long as the fabric isn't too hot.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 22 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Paige, I love your cream lace dress, but I wouldn't wear it to the wedding. I also like the brighter blue outfit.

Rebe, I think a knee length dress is what you want, but I don't think you should shop in a mother of the bride category. Let's be honest: you're too young to wear something in lace and chiffon.

We need RJ to help! Does MO have Dillard's or Belk's? They both have great dress departments. Macy's is good, and I think my mom wore dresses or suits from Talbot's when my siblings and I got married.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

The bride's mom is wearing navy, knee length. The bridesmaids are in 5 shades of blue, from pale to dark. Does it matter what color I wear?

I guess I should wear knee length but I'm not real happy about it because my legs are blindingly white. I guess I could wear sheer pantyhose - do they even sell pantyhose anymore? Or is that so out of style it would be worse than my ghostly white legs?

I'll try to find something flowy and pretty and not stuffy. I guess I better start looking. We do have Dillard's here.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to United States Marine ds 22 * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 11
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I would look for something in a color that compliments blue (a shade of purple, a sage green, really just about anything except red,black or white). Probably a solid or very small print would look best in photos. Yes, they make sheer pantyhose. No, it doesn’t matter that your legs are white. I bought 2 of mine from J Jill and 4 from Belk ( like Dillard’s). But ours were church dresses and not those silky-lacy MOB dresses.

I think being the mother of the groom is so easy! Just buy a dress, throw a rehearsal dinner and enjoy the wedding!
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (15). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

Rebe -- try Jergens tanning lotion My sister uses it all the time to get started off with a tan! It'll add some color, not a glaring amount of color, just a bit, and maybe it'll help.
    I don't know that you have to have knee length, maybe mid-calf and something flowy? I wouldn't do long, but I don't think it has to be knee length, either.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Rebe -- try Jergens tanning lotion My sister uses it all the time to get started off with a tan! It'll add some color, not a glaring amount of color, just a bit, and maybe it'll help.
    I don't know that you have to have knee length, maybe mid-calf and something flowy? I wouldn't do long, but I don't think it has to be knee length, either.
    Yes, mid-calf and flowy is what I have in mind. I like tiers of fabric, too - hopefully those are still in style and I can find that.

There is no "starting off" a tan with my skin. My skin never changes color whatsoever except to burn. Once when I was a teen (remember this was the early '80s), I tried a tanning salon over and over and eventually they gave me FREE tanning sessions, trying to make me tan. I turned into a professional project for them because they had never seen someone who would NOT change color. It never worked.

And I'll need shoes that I can dance in - as in, the mother-son dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    There is no "starting off" a tan with my skin. My skin never changes color whatsoever except to burn. Once when I was a teen (remember this was the early '80s), I tried a tanning salon over and over and eventually they gave me FREE tanning sessions, trying to make me tan. I turned into a professional project for them because they had never seen someone who would NOT change color. It never worked.

Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Paige - I like both of the ones you posted above. I too would not wear white/cream to a wedding.

Rebe - Agreeing with Alicia on the dress. I would wear the same length as the MOB. I also tried to choose a color that would "go with" (as in not clash horribly) that was different from both the bridesmaids and MOB (mother of the bride). I found my dress at Nordstroms.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

Sunny South Florida ~ 3 miles from the beach!

Rebe ~ You can buy all colors of pantyhose. You could get a tan, or beige, or a color that goes with the color of your dress. If the MOB, is wearing knee-length, I would not wear floor-length. I know.....it's kind of stressful trying to choose a dress for the first wedding. I actually found two dresses that I liked, so I bought both of them, because I have 3 sons and knew the other one would be getting married soon, and I wouldn't have to go through the search for a dress again the following year.
    Alicia <>< Wife to Jeff; 3 great sons ~ Josh married to Jessica, dgds Madeline Spring and Caroline Bryant ~ Ethan married to Holly, dgds Annaleigh Grace and Addison Joy ~ and Micah.