Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday DECLUTTERING!

Default Wednesday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Kitchens! Organize, clean, experiment, replenish cupboards, countertops, pantries, freezers, and refrigerators.

School Challenge: Shape up your summer routine. When do you implement your summer plans?

Inspiring Thought:
    There have been many circulations of the sap before we detect the smallest sign of the bud. - George Eliot, Silas Marner

For me today:
    • talk party with Dan- the weather looks poor for Saturday. Only 11 of R's 22 invitees are coming. The rain plan is a half hour out of town. Those folks of her 11 who thought they were dropping in are likely to be out if we stick with this plan. Sigh. I need to talk with my friend.
    • morning meeting
    • school- wrap up time (two writing assignments the boys need to do)
    • amazon order- yet another shoe insert for a boy
    • tidy up around the house- tomorrow is Isaac's birthday and I hope to get the house in order before my inlaws arrive tomorrow afternoon
    • email E the last of the pictures- just a few more
    • make sure the snake is fed- he is in our school room now. The boys requested he stay out of R's room while she was away. How awesome is that? He's right behind me when I sit at the school table.
    • poster guideline work
    • birthday cards and wrap gifts
    • walk
    • reading/nature time
    • pull the pork
    • fold laundry- a MUST
    • prep graduation announcements- they should arrive today
    • blog work- a live coaching call among other things and check into printing my planner (mercy this is the dumbest thing EVER!)

Ok, there may be a few more things. I'll report on them if I do them.

The good news is I don't have to go anywhere today! I don't think. I front loaded the week on tasks so I could maybe coast into the remainder since we have so much going on between birthdays and the party. The main thing is to prep the slideshow and the senior board for the party.

So, yesterday Rebecca worked her first shift. It was a service awards dinner for employees at the university. I was worried about her first shift being so long. We got a text from her on her break last night that said she was exhausted. I worried about her the rest of the night knowing she has another shift on Friday. Well, Dan went to get her early since he didn't want her waiting on campus by herself after midnight. They get home close to 1am and she's chipper. It turns out the work was not physically exhausting really at all. She was tired from all the people! hahahaha

She worked with 50 other people yesterday and the dinner was for 475. She was done out. She said I am so tired from people telling me their life stories. Oh my gosh. HILARIOUSLY introverted!

Have a fabulous Wednesday!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good morning!

Heather -- that's hilarious about R So what's plan B for the grad party? What are you thinking about telling your friend? That's tough!

Oh -- and yesterday's honor's college comments. Yes, the one here has a special dorm, too, but my kids won't be staying in the dorm; they'll be at home. It's an option for us since we're so close, and at 12K per year, it's not something we can afford. But, literally ALL of their local friends (maybe not one or two casual acquaintances) live at home and commute, so it's not an anomaly at all.
    And, yes, I've used Perdue OWL often It's a fantastic site!!! I've used it for the lit classes I teach as a resource for MLA format and how to properly cite things for research papers, AND Katie's AL class that she just finished with told them to go there for how to properly cite things for their research paper, too AWESOME!!!

Michelle -- sounds like the water party was FANTASTIC last night

Here:
    * a busier day that I anticipated ..... I'm HOME all day, though, which is wonderful!
    * friend and her kids coming over at 10 for piano lessons (mattie's first) and to swim. Kids will rotate lessons and then will also swim. I think I'll be in and out, making sure all is going okay inside. They'll be here til 12:30ish (mainly swimming -- lessons should end about 11)
    * Then, my good friend Tracie called yesterday and asked to come swim. Today is the best day, so she and her kids are coming this afternoon about 1:30-2. The morning is supposed to be super nice, but it's gonna get hot this afternoon.
    Meanwhile,
    * the kids are outside (it's only in the 60s this morning ) doing some weeding and work in the garden and are going to stack some firewood from the dead trees that got cut down.
    * I'm working on laundry and am going to do some ironing
    * then we're going to tidy inside -- kitchen, vacuum -- shouldn't be too bad.
    -- I need to figure out supper.....

Ya'll have a good day!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Heather -- you are a much better mama than me! I don't do snakes..and for it to be next to me Nope couldn't do it.
    That is so funny..R and tired of people. Funny because I get it and have 1 that would be the same way.

Today:
    • get house in order...it has been dump & go for a week
    • grades..get them in
    • carport work?
    • clean on "new" grill??
    • hs group paper good back in box and put away
    • clean out fridge
    • fold & put away laundry
    • clean humidifier
    • figure out supper -- been doing bad again with meals
    • paperwork
    • see if I have round up mix, if so mix it so ds2 can spray that spot in field and if poison ivy/oak patch is out there but it again.

Ds2 will mow & weed eat today.

I really want more carport junk gone but don't think it can honestly "go" at this time. But today's weather (less humid) makes it a good day for outside work.

Sunday - today have been amazing porch days. Only in the 80s with low humidity!

I need to get moving. Been enjoying my porch h for nearly an hour.

Have a great Wednesday
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

Good Morning!
    It's another brisk morning here. It was only 49*F when I woke up this morning. 53*F now. The house is a comfortable 67, which is where we set the thermostat in the winter, so I have a long sleeve T-shirt on at the moment. Still in shorts and barefoot though. I would look silly in my fuzzy socks.

Yesterday. I stayed focused and got most of my tutor final done. I think I have 4 questions left out of 20. I took brain breaks throughout and that worked very well. Ds11 also made sure to keep me on task. I'm going to finish it today. Two weeks ago one of the other training tutors texted me about getting together to go over it and I told her I needed to wait until school was out and had worked on it some. I guess I'll text her now and see if she still wants to get together tomorrow or Friday for a little bit.

HeatherW-- Introverts Unite! I can definitely relate. People can be very draining.

Michelle-- Very nice that you've been able to enjoy your porch a lot.

So far:
    • email management and reading
    • more reading and thinking
    • checked out and purchased a Rooted in Language class... the LA Binder one... we set these up for our tutoring students, but haven't really been given much help with it. I need better ideas to make them more functional and useful, and help with how to get the student to take ownership of it. I hope this class will help me. We haven't been given much direction other than being told to make them and to get the kids to use them. Well, that's fine and dandy... I can put in the information and have the student help me, but it's the ownership piece that's been hard to establish. I can't get ds11 to take ownership here at home either. I know there must be something I'm NOT doing right.
    • more thinking... made some notes in my planner/journal... thinking takes a LOT of time.

For TODAY:
    • finish tutor exam
    • work on tutor lessons
    • what's for supper?
    • laundry check
    • keep working on table piles/kitchen clutter... I did a little yesterday as a brain break
    • keep the kitchen tidy
    • +whatever else I'm not thinking of at the moment

Have a great day!
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Good morning!

Fun news - realized yesterday that a local friend's maiden name was the same as someone my best friend growing up knew when she studied abroad in Chile for a semester of college over 20 years ago. I knew she lived in ID because my friend mentioned that when I moved out here 20 years ago (maybe I'd run into her - haha since ID is so small). So I asked the local friend - it is her sister! We helped connect the two (they haven't spoken/written each other in over 15 years). Both are thrilled to be reconnected. Small world.

Sad news - found out yesterday that on Monday morning a 3 year old girl in our neighborhood died from sepsis! Very sad. They used to live on our street and my dd played with their older dd. I'd like to do something but I'm unsure what. We were just 'wave and say hi' acquaintances with the parents. We've prayed a few times for the family since finding out.

For today:
    • Psalm study
    • Tend strawberries and flowers
    • Kitchen work - hope to finish all cabinets and drawers
    • Cut up produce
    • Laundry - 1 or 2 loads
    • Order Rx refills
    • Take dd to training at church for upcoming camps
    • Pick up jam made yesterday
    • Drop ds at friend's house
    • Enjoy my massage
    • Library drop/pick up meds
    • Pick up kids
    • go to gym for evening class

Heather - it seems like most of us can relate! What really tires me out are people who are unaware that they completely dominate conversations. I've had conversations where I saw 1 sentence per about 20/30 sentences from the other person. They ask a question - only let you answer with a sentence before they go on their way with their own long story related to the question they asked you. It was really just a trick - asking a question that they had a story lined up for
    Glad work for R went well overall yesterday.

Cindy - I'm currently wearing my fuzzy socks with shorts on. My feet are always much colder than the rest of me.
    Great job working on your tutor final yesterday!

Michelle - the water party yesterday sounded super fun!

Paige - hope Mattie's first piano lesson (as teacher ) goes well!

Cindy- I'm wearing capris even though it was 49* this morning. I've also got a fleece on. I just decided nope. I'm not wearing pants today. I did yesterday and was bummed about it all day! haha And great job on all that tutoring work. I'm so excited for you and all that you are learning!

Michelle- I like this snake. He's cool. Dan made him a log cut out for Christmas one year and he stays in there and will poke his head out. I'd take lots of snakes before dealing with a mammal in the house!

Paige- Yes, I understand about the cost of housing. Unfortunately, not only does Cornell have a residency requirement for freshman but staying home will not change our family portion of her bill and it won't change her portion of the bill either. That really stinks, but that's how it's set up and it's not uncommon for that to be the case. The same was true 30 years ago when I started college. Lowering the bill by doing that (or getting scholarships) will only lower the aid she receives, but it will not change the amount we need to pay. That's a shame.

Joelle
    - Funny I didn't really know how introverted I am until I was an adult. I think because I grew up without my brother and sister at home and I had plenty of alone time. So, I enjoyed my time out in activities, etc and my parents were not super at playing, etc with me so I had no idea that's what I preferred until I was in my 20s. I think I've gotten more introverted as I've gotten older. So sad to hear about your neighbor's daughter. Maybe you could send a card with a gift card for a dinner out or you could just take them a frozen meal that they could use another time.

So far:
    • made dh's lunch
    • took him to work- another rainy day
    • emailed my friend about the party location- and asked dh to answer her husband's email with the same info (since he owed him a note and I don't know when she sees my stuff)
    • had breakfast and chatted with kids- and laughed at a John Crist video
    • checked in with E about his arm- its hurting this morning. Not sure work is going to go well this afternoon.

Ok... I've wasted a lot of time this morning. I need to get something else going...
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good morning!

I can't remember if I posted again yesterday, but thank you for the birthday wishes for dd! She loved hearing them and loved the tiny toilet! We had a nice evening!!

Heather, enjoy your day at home! Too funny about R!

Paige, it sounds like a lovely day lined up! Have fun!

Michelle, enjoy your porch!

Cindy, great job on the test!

Joelle, that's so sad about your neighbor. And pretty crazy about your friend!

I've been busy this morning. Got both yards mowed before it got too hot. I've showered and am almost ready to go. Kids are eating and then I'll take them to puppet camp. Dd is LOVING it!

Also, I did a blog post--was too tired last night--and did one load of laundry--more to go!

*laundry
    *puppet camp
    *Target--hope to get groceries and gift...
    *Hobby Lobby and/or Walmart--if I can't get it all at Target
    *pick up kids
    *kids' bathroom
    *birthday party

It will be a late night. One of ds's friends is doing a mall scavenger hunt for her party. They are getting started late because one is working at the library until 7:45. After that they'll go out for pizza and the fountains. Dd and I will go and hang out with the younger dd and mom. Should be fun!

Have a great day today, friends!

Good Morning Ladies, err Afternoon,

We have had a rough morning here, just one of those days and I am certain that most of it was my doing. I've apologized and we rebooted as best we could.
    We are finishing up lunch now

up next:
    I have a meeting at church with one of the elders to discuss women's ministry stuff

afterward: possible stop at the grocery store...it depends on how late the meeting goes and how we are all doing.

HW - I hope your day at home goes well. I like people, but get worn out by them too. I think I am an "ambivert."

Paige - You are so generous with your pool!

Honors College - I was in the Honors Program at ODU just before it switched to being an "Honors College." It was good and provided some additional support and perks that were helpful.

Cindy - Good job on that final!

Michelle - I hope your day goes well!

I know I am missing people, but I gotta run!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Update:
    • pulled the spicy pork
    • loaded and started the dishwasher
    • got the boys started on their wrap up projects
    • ran a load of laundry
    • dried and hung that load
    • started another load- of kitchen towels
    • folded two loads of laundry- and had them put away
    • helped the senior with a routine overhaul- she is a creative soul who gets lost trying to be productive sometimes. She's been in a long slump so today we talked about some strategies for getting things done, making the right kind of creativity a priority, and establishing a cut off for her work at night and in her academic work throughout the day. We talked about a LOT of specifics.
    • debriefed more of her work time from yesterday- oh my gosh. She stood beside where coffee would show up for an hour! That was what she was told to do at one point.
    • considered how tomorrow will go with it being Isaac's birthday- lots to fit in for the day and my inlaws arrive

Not a very productive day. Parenting teens is hard mental work people!

Rebecca mentioned that she had a hard time falling asleep last night because all she heard was clinking dishes. She employed an audio book to help her calm down. She also said that she can handle meaningful conversation. These people were just talking. They have sometimes an hour at a time to just stand around behind the scenes. She doesn't want to be on her phone so I suggested a small book. She has a pocket sized copy of Gulliver's Travels. It might help to escape where she is and not have to talk to people constantly without breaking phone rules like everyone else did. She also didn't want to appear surly. Which is what everyone else who wasn't talking looked like.

I hope the day improved, Angela!

I've gotten everything on my list done except the party tonight. I also threw in some texts about our checking account to dh. We had gotten an email about overdraft policies and I was afraid he had paid too much for the new car without moving money around. Turns out it was just a general policy email and we're fine. Phew.

I'm going to make a meal since we won't eat at the party until at least 9:30 or 10:00. And dh isn't going, so I think he'd appreciate food.