Thread: VideoText math?

Default VideoText math?

We need to transition next year to a new math program for my eldest (she's aging out). We used RightStart before, and one of the programs they recommend for the shift is called VideoText Interactive (click here for more info). I met with the educator this evening at the convention, and it sounds interesting. But I've never heard of it before, and I'm not the type to throw a lot of money at something without knowing what I'm getting into!

Does anyone here have experience with it? I had already all but decided to move on to BJU, and now I'm confused.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

Long ago, I went to a seminar for VideoText and was almost sold ... but I didn't buy it because I knew that my son, who has always greatly disliked and didn't "get" math, would find it difficult. We eventually went with Teaching Textbooks, which was much more what he needed to succeed. So the only thing I can say about it is - it was very popular at that time but more for kids who were okay with or good at math. This is the impression I got - not an actual user, here, but just throwing that out there.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Thanks, Rebe--I appreciate the input! My dd does fine with math, but is not a huge fan overall. I also need something that will go deeper with her in explaining things; that was the intriguing thing with VideoText--he claims to explain the "why" of math more than other programs (but of course, that's his word, so I take it with a grain of salt!). I've heard good things about Teaching Textbooks as well, but wasn't convinced it would be a good fit for us. I guess we'll see!
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

I will be very honest and say that TT works(ed) great for my two boys who really, really hate and "don't get" math. It moves slowly and has a ton of review. Some people say it's a year or two "behind" other programs. I'm not sure if that's true, but when you have a kid who hates and doesn't get math, you need something that moves slowly and explains every single problem and has a lot of review.

My daughter was much better at math, but used TT through 11th grade. She did fine and scored well on the ACT. But in 12th, we chose to put her in a class that used Saxon for pre-calc/trig. This was a step up for her and she really enjoyed it. In retrospect, I would have put her in a more advanced math class earlier (if I had known she'd need so much advanced math in college). But it all worked out.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

I have one who does really well with TT as well.. he's not bad at math at all, but he lacks confidence for a few reasons. He feels much more confident with TT because he gets immediate feedback of being right or wrong & can watch problems being worked out to learn from the mistake if he makes it. Now if he'd take notes during the lecture I think he'd be on a great roll.

I have 0 experience with Video Text math, but I recently read a thread on another forum {I have no clue which one or where} in which people were really raving about it.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

We use Video Text Algebra and it has worked very well for my 'non-math' daughter! We have the DVD sets from several years ago that we bought at a used curriculum sale. My husband works with her on it, and they have both enjoyed it. I am completely non-math when it comes to Algebra and beyond (hate to admit that, but there it is) and so I'm thrilled to find something that seems to be working for her and is moving her along at a pace she can adjust if needed.
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)