Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 24 (June 10th - June 3 - June 16th)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    I just realized today that I need to get busy on my next book club read, as it's due in about a week. So, this week I'll be reading The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict.
    Looking forward to your thoughts, Vicki. My Good Reads friends seem to have given it mixed reviews.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Finished Penelope Lively's Moon Tiger tonight.

Like protagonist Claudia, this book is intelligent & intriguing, yet also irritating & nettlesome. I don't mind books that move backward & forward through time, nor ones that switch points of view, but the POV changes in this novel felt like clunky devices to me, jarring the narrative... which is a pity because it detracts from the amazing bits of the work.

Normally, I might rave about this story, but the ungainly POV changes pull me right back to sitting on top of the fence.

I know this predates The English Patient, but I read The English Patient first. The further I read in Moon Tiger, the more I saw of The English Patient. Just an observation. Interesting to ponder that both books ended up on the Golden Man Booker nominee list.

It's good, even great, definitely solid. But it could have also been better.

(Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.)
    Celebrate your freedom to read! Read a banned book!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    Finished Penelope Lively's Moon Tiger tonight.
    Like protagonist Claudia, this book is intelligent & intriguing, yet also irritating & nettlesome.
    Stacia, yes, I would probably be irritated also.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor