Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monday DECLUTTERING

Default Monday DECLUTTERING

This Week's Challenge: Entryways, foyers, mudrooms, and laundry areas- hoe them out, work on closets, organize items, etc.

School Challenge: Computer desks and flat school surfaces to kick off our week!

Inspiring Thought: To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. - Robert Louis Stevenson

For me today:
    • recover from a week of over activity
    • put stuff away- a lot to put back where it belongs after this weekend
    • get pictures of the senior board- I forgot at the party
    • play games- especially Memoir 44
    • amazon order- a Father's Day gift
    • ask again about my Office 365 account- mine is about to expire (but Dan gets five free accounts through Cornell- we paid for mine when I got my laptop 4 years ago, but the college kids will get one through their schools freeing up 2 of Dan's 5 licenses, but not before this Wednesday! Not sure of the plan)
    • design my planner - and put it together. I'm out of pages in my current moleskin!
    • clean the powder room
    • help R take books back to her room- her room is still sparse and it's time to get it back together
    • PTE
    • blog work

I will spend ample time on the POH today and let the kids sleep as long as they want this morning. Dan has gone on his bike this morning and he's meeting his dad for breakfast. They always do that on the day they leave town, but we said our goodbyes to them last night.

So, today is all about restoration- of body and soul and house! And blog.

Have a great start to the new week!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good Morning Ladies,

Shay - The Aquarium in Atlanta is very nice! Praying you have a safe trip home.

HW - My kids frequently "act up" when we are with grand-parents too. I think it is just what happens when you are removed from your routine and over-stimulated. Plus, visits with the grandparents frequently come with extra treats and a lack of sleep, which doesn't help!
    I hope you can get some rest today.

Ch1: I just cleaned off the computer desk - go me!

CH2: Yes, the mudroom could use some work.

so far:
    Bible reading
    breakfast

up next:
    bible time with kids
    our first day of standardized testing

this afternoon:
    meet a lady selling Life of Fred books
    Good Will drop
    bank
    possible quick run to grocery

this evening:
    I have a women's ministry council dinner. This is a fun dinner, not a work dinner. The structure of women's ministry is changing at our church and there is no longer a council. We are just getting together for fun. The youngest member of the council (I think she is 26) is hosting us all for dinner and insisted on cooking everything. She is one of 9 children and was homeschooled growing up and says cooking for the 6 of us is easy - we are half the size of her family!

I wanted to get the ladies a thank-you gift from me, but didn't pull it together, and now I feel super guilty. Plus, the budget just got really tight this month so even if I have time to shop, I really don't have extra funds. Stink!

Logan has a play-off game if it doesn't rain. I am super-bummed to miss it, but it can't be helped.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Good morning!

Heather -- I hope you do get some restorative time I know you need it! That was a long, hard, people-full weekend for ya'll

We have another busy day here .... Lots of prep to do.
    * laundry is already going (I'm trying to get completely caught up before we pack and leave tomorrow)
    * move hydrangeas -- I have two babies that are getting too much hot sun. They're not going to live if I don't get them in a different spot.
    * clean house -- actually, it's fairly clean, but it needs a few spot touches before we leave tomorrow
    * M. is teaching her piano lessons at 10 this morning -- the family will come over to swim while she's teaching. I told them they had to leave by 1130, though because I have too much to do The mom understood (she's a good friend) OH -- and btw, the mom told me yesterday at church that the girls have practiced every day without prompting and that they LOVE it!!! Hurray!!!
    * go to town for --
    -- snacks
    -- run through the car wash and then vacuum out the car -- we have a mom and son (friends) riding with us tomorrow
    -- bank
    * pack and load up car -- we're leaving at 615 in the morning for the state Forestry competition
    * supper?????
    * boys have some yard work to do

And that's that. Yall check out the cake recipe I posted on a separate thread. I'm telling you, it is DELICIOUS!!! If you need to make a chocolate cake, try it. It's wonderful!!!

SHAY -- safe travels home!!!!! Are you dropping N. off at Ft. Stewart? Remember, I'm from Glennville, which is about 30 minutes from there in the middle of nowhere. But, I taught at the County High School there for 8 years, and my mom taught at one of the elementary schools on base And my sister (and now my parents) live at the exit you'll get off of on the interstate to get onto 144 to go on base (you'd turn the other way and go about 5 miles into Richmond Hill).

Angela -- have fun tonight And it's okay about the gift. They're not expecting it.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Good morning!

Happy late birthday, Michelle!

And thank you all for the birthday wishes for ds. I think he had a good day!

Heather, the cloaking mechanism cracked me up. So true about people as they get older...but stay the course! You are doing a great job!

Angela, have fun at your dinner tonight!

I am missing a book club get together tonight...I had hoped to go, but then I volunteered to feed my parents' pig without realizing it was the same time...But maybe it is for the best as I'm really not sure that I could swing something like that next year. I would love to do it, but the amount of work it would take to make it happen might suck the fun out of it. We'll see...

Today is a busy day!
    *laundry--just finished
    *grocery pick up--happening shortly!
    *guest bathroom
    *hall bathroom
    *clean out fridges
    *movie
    *meet our old neighbors for a birthday lunch for the kids
    *Walmart--ds wants to browse Legos...
    *fair meeting
    *feed the pig
    *mow
    *blog--didn't get to it last night
    *iron--skipped that, too!

Lots to do!! I also would like to get in some good reading time. We finished the fourth Incorrigibles book late last night so we only have one more to go before the last one comes out next week!

Have a great day today, friends!

- - - Updated - - -

Paige, I hope your busy day goes smoothly!

Good Morning!
    Lots and lots of rain Saturday and Sunday here at home. Thankfully, 2 hours south in Columbus we had lovely weather for moving Erica into her new apartment. She has a lovely studio apartment that's about 10 minutes from her work. The kitchen is a little bit smaller than she would have liked, but the rest is perfect. There's a number of issues that need to be addressed like a dirty dishwasher full of mold that wasn't cleaned out and the smoke smell that is still lingering. The carpet is new and and everything was freshly painted, but we are thinking they didn't treat the walls/ceiling with a heavy duty barrier before they painted. They said they would have maintenance out right away to look at everything and get it fixed. The office manager admitted the cleaning crew had to do a TON of work in her apartment, so she wasn't surprised a few things were overlooked. It's a great place though. She's going to like it a lot.

I'm tired still. I slept on the floor at her apartment Saturday night, and Jesse ended up staying with me too. Originally he was going back home with dh, but in the end he couldn't leave. Erica has a ukulele which he occupied himself with the entire time. He basically taught himself how to play it in 2 days. Well, the basics. He got online, tuned it up, and learned a couple songs. He now wants one of his own.

We still have rain showers around this morning and it's suppose to stay cloudy. 64*F. More rain tomorrow too.

Laundry area challenge: Clothes are everywhere! This is a good challenge for this week.
    Desks: I need to work on my little table next to the couch; ds11 can work on the computer desk

So far:
    • email management/reading, plus social media catch up
    • tutoring lesson #1 complete and ready to go
    • tutoring lesson #2 almost done

For the rest of TODAY:
    • finish up tutoring lesson #2... I work things out on scrap paper first, since we write out in pen on the official form
    • unpack bag from this weekend
    • tidy up here and there
    • laundry challenge... I may need to make a list even before I can start!
    • clean up little table next to couch
    • tutor binder... I still have the papers spread out on the table
    • tutoring... leave at 2pm; not sure when I'll be home since I'll have to write notes then also look at 3rd student info for Wed
    • what's for supper?... I'm thinking dh can tonight and do pancakes... that's his usual go-to Either that or french toast. Those are the only 2 things he can cook that everyone likes.

HeatherW-- So glad R's party was success and that she had a great time. Glad J had a nice birthday too. I hope this will be a restful week for your family.

Shay-- I'd vote the calming aquarium after your trip to Disney.

Michelle-- Happy Birthday to you, sweet friend. I'm glad you had a lovely day with your men. I love leisurely drives too, and just going wherever the road takes us.

Have a great day!
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Cindy -- on the ukulele. Maybe it would be a tad annoying, but if he's interested in an instrument, I think that's great

Jen -- You parent's PIG????? Where is said pig? At their house? Is it a pet or future food? Just wondering.....
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Shay -- safe travels!! Hope y'all have fun on the way!

Paige -- YAY for all the cakes!! Glad you were blessed

Heather -- so GLAD J enjoyed his dinner so much!! when kids are happy.

The reunion was the moms from our hs group back when we 1st started (2003 ) and when boys were little. These ladies were our 2nd family for a long time. Then their kids graduated, they moved, kids went to school or they became missionaries and moved away. So it was fun to reconnect.
    It was open to ALL the moms in the group from last years but only this "core" group could come this time.

Angela -- sounds like a busy evening but a good one. YAY for LoF books!! Enjoy your dinner!! No guilt allowed!! Just enjoy your friends!

Heather -- Enjoy your porch!! Rest & recover!!

Paige -- hope you get some rest time in today!

Jen -- Enjoy lunch with friends!

Cindy -- glad you got to help Erica and hope they fix the issues quickly

THANK Y'ALL for the birthday wishes!!!

Ch 1 -- closets! definitely need work!

Today:
    • enjoy porch
    • laundry
    • hummingbird feeders
    • finish adding stuff to my new phone
    • find dining table...again
    • get plant hung up
    • car mats??
    • sports day...at lake..closer one
    • supper??? I really need to get back to planning & using PTE. Was doing good with it.

I am enjoying my porch this morning. Sunshine, slight breeze, several different kinds of birds singing, squirrels playing Says it feels like 82 but breeze is making it nice.
    Just now I looked up as the sun hit me more directly. LOTS of stuff in air...allergy stuff

I didn't realize how much I used my old phone. Last night I went to add something to my list...I don't have my lists on my new phone yet. I need to find something like I had. Also need to add all calendar stuff. I am not crazy about the calendar that came on phone either. Maybe I just need to get use to it but after using same calendar for 5 years it takes a bit

this post has gone on forever. I stopped to take care of stuff. Then ds1 called. They are doing ac units here in town. They forgot something and asked if any way I could run next door, get it and bring to them (boss wife is with them helping). So I did that and made my bank run while out

Hope y'all have a good day!!
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

AR- Good luck with testing and does the change in ministry mean you won't be working with women's ministry as much? For sure, kids do crazy things when they are out of a routine. It's just as troubling when there is obvious disapproval of some of the routine.

Paige- Looks like you are gearing up for a busy few weeks with your family. Have fun!

Jen- I'm curious about the pig as well. Does he have to be fed at that exact time?

Cindy- That's fun about the ukele. Your son loves music and it sounds like he's pretty good at it too!

Michelle- I hope you get your new phone working well for you. Is your phone an Android? I use CalenGoo which is a $5 app that synchs with Google calendar and works really nicely with my phone. I don't use the one that came on the phone.

So far today:
    • J got laundry started
    • moved one load to dry and hung some
    • started another load
    • had the dishwasher emptied- the breakfast table was cleared
    • prepped some kitchen recycling for the bin
    • gave kids the what's up for today
    • planned a camping trip with dh- was checking into dates, etc
    • wiped down the school table- for gaming
    • took swim gear off the line
    • had J try on his new swim trunks and rash guard- they look great
    • got rid of his swim shirt- it was all stretched out
    • ordered dh's water bottle- Father's Day gift. That and we got him a 3D printed stargate add on for Settlers of Catan. I hope it arrives in time! It may not though. It's an Esty item that needs to be printed before it leaves.

The boys are playing one of Isaac's new games. One boy has been playing his new game system on and off. Rebecca slept in and is relaxing at the moment. I'm in my studio having answered my mom on FB. My laptop is still up here, but I may move it downstairs once my desk is clear. Now that we aren't doing school full on anymore, I can probably work at my desk rather than the school table.

On to the next thing!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Happy noontime!

Yesterday was busy - church, fish fry following as a fundraiser for a 8 yr old girl at our church for a neuro disorder she has. Got home after 3:30. Then the evening was a worship team BBQ at one member's home. We have 4 different teams that rotate each week. It was nice to get together to eat and chat. Dd went to help set up for day camp and went to youth group after that instead of going to the BBQ. She got home close to 9. Long day for her.

The past 2 nights she had some anxiety over helping at the camp. She thought it was 'bad' that she didn't already know how to do everything. She is a perfectionist, and often assumes she should automatically know everything and thinks that everyone else is more competent than her. We were up chatting with her in bed until almost midnight each night. Hopefully she has a great day and gains some confidence!

What I've done so far:
    • Dropped dd at church for day camp
    • Gym - core exercises
    • Took ds for a 2 week x-ray check up. Hopefully we'll hear back from the dr. today and he'll say that the bones are healing well.
    • Errands - Home Depot return, grocery for 4 items, get ring looked at (semi-annual check-up)

To do next:
    • Water plants/pick strawberries
    • Eat lunch
    • Psalm study
    • Write a few bills - mail when I pick up dd at 3:30
    • Piano at 6
    • Tidy house

Belated happy birthday to Jack, Joshua, and Michelle!

Heather - glad you can have a relaxing day! Everyone deserves it!

Michelle - your birthday yesterday sounded perfect - that's the kind of day I like too

Cindy - that is great how your son figured out the uke! I'd say that is real talent! I would be terribly sore if I slept on the floor! Hope tutoring goes well today!

Jen - I'm interested in hearing about the pig also!

Paige - so great to hear that Mattie's students are enjoying piano. I'm sure that is encouraging to her!

Angela - enjoy the meal tonight! Sounds like a great time!

Have a great Monday afternoon!

Joelle - Praying for your girl! I think it is great that she is wiling to help even if she is feeling anxious!

HW - Yes! I totally get it. One set of my in-laws makes comments about how L would be "getting more help" with his reading if he were in ps. Ahem.

The women's ministry stuff is complicated. Our church is only 10 years old and is growing, it is no longer a "small church plant" and they have experienced some growing pains. The elders are changing up some stuff in order to accommodate more growth, but change isn't always easy or smooth. The women's council was the only "council" in church leadership and they wanted to change that. We have two campuses and the plan is to focus on building women's ministries at each individual campus. The one I attend is the smaller of the two, the other campus probably has twice as many people attending. I've been asked to get the women's ministry started at our campus and am working with a church elder. Eventually, the church may appoint some deacons for each campus and is planning on a female for women's ministry. The plan for this summer is to help women get connected and we are hoping to do that through socials hosted at homes. We have one planned for later in June and I am working on two more, hopefully one for July and one for August.

afternoon update:
    Testing - each kid finished two sections...Logan may be testing a day or two longer than the girls. He just can't handle testing for too long.
    Picked up Life of Fred books - Woot! These books are in "like new" condition - sweet!
    donut shop - I wanted to reward the kids for a first day of testing plus they had free donuts in exchange for a canned good for the local food bank.
    bank
    stopped by grocery store for milk
    home for a late lunch

up next:
    read aloud
    pick up!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.