Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuesday DECLUTTERING!

Good afternoon!

Shelly, glad to see you here! I know what you mean about not taking advantage of things close by...so much gets missed here!

Heather, it's 4 times over the summer--basically every other week in June and July and each class has a different theme. Today they learned about soil and veggies and did some planting. And they got a cool plant to take home, which is always fun. It is at a great teaching garden that is run by lots of older women volunteers who are basically ds's fan club. As in they introduced him to the younger kids today and said he was a celebrity there. They cannot get enough of him and it is so so funny. So he pitched in and helped carry plants for them and moved some things for them for a function they were holding. He had fun, too. I was reading a plant themed mystery and had left it in my seat while we were outside and when I came in one of the volunteers was telling me how she'd read the whole series and all about how she keeps a reading notebook now. It was a nice conversation!

Joelle, I'm so glad your dd had a good time!

We're home for a bit! phew!
    *got lunches packed
    *emailed about the water park stuff and got my answers
    *mailed bills
    *gardening class--it rained much of the early morning so it was nice and cool!
    *swim team
    *yarn store--my friend was working today so we got to visit with her a bit
    *library--ds had a teen activity and dd loaded up on craft books
    *other library--to get my holds!
    *started swim laundry

Now we're home for a bit before taking dd to gymnastics. I need to prep dinner as much as possible so we're not eating at midnight...and maybe I can get a few things ironed, too.

Hello Ladies,

Logan does have bacterial pink eye and we came home with drops.
    Ashlyn received instructions to up her daily allergy medicine and we got a "scrip" for an air purifier in her room.

This afternoon, we worked on the standardized test.

Logan has his championship baseball game tonight and we are eating an early dinner and then heading out soon.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Quick check in .... we Made it to the AL state forestry competition with Cale. We’re in Eufala, AL Mattie and Ben are with me, and we toured a historic house this afternoon and wandered around town. We’ve had a good time. The competition is today and tomorrow.
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Paige -glad it is going well!

HW-what size planner do you want in the end?
    Are you keeping it at home or will you be taking it with you?
    Is it possible for you to print enough pages to try it for a month or two?

- - - Updated - - -

Jen -sounds like a cool class!
    Is J a celebrity from his project?

- - - Updated - - -

Michelle -Iím terrible about keeping plants alive too.

Joelle. So glad she had a good first day!

Shelley -sounds like a fun summer!
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Paige- Sounds like a fun time. Good luck to Cale's team!

Jen- Isn't it fun when people enjoy your teen?

AR- So sorry to hear about Logan. May the pink eye be contained to just him and not all of you!

Regarding the planner- I'm just not sure. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go that will give me flexibility and still offer the structure of intentionality that I don't currently have with my system. Or maybe I do and it's just work to make it happen.

Perhaps I can explain what I have going and what I'm thinking, then planner folks can chime in:
    • 6x8.5 ish five subject Mead spiral- is my blog notebook. It fits in my purse and can go with me. This planner has to travel with me.
    • the blog notebook- currently holds notes on posts I'm writing and much of the content before it gets on the computer or at least the architecture of posts before I write on the computer. It also holds notes on blogging courses I take. When I fill one up I get another. I don't index these notebooks. I'm very familiar with the one I'm currently working in, but after that not so much.
    • evernote- I keep a list of blog post ideas here and another for to do items. I visit the blog post ideas often. The to do list here not really. It's an ongoing list where I put things when I think of them so they don't get lost in my blog notebooks.
    • Bujo- for daily lists and quotes. It's about 5 or 6 x 8 in size depending on which one I pick up. I don't usually take this one with me anywhere. It stays at home because it's basically a to do list and notes on the day. I keep a to do list for home and school and then at the bottom of the page a list of blog tasks.
    • Calendar- is a Google calendar accessible on my computer and phone
    • School planner- is a custom spiral notebook I make using Staples full size, college ruled notebook paper.

Some thoughts on the topic:
    • not really thinking I can have just one planner for all- nor do I want one if it's paper
    • I'm satisfied with my school planner- don't always need to take it places
    • love the Mead blog notebook- but it would be better to have it indexed so I can use it as a reference. Especially if I start a post and don't end up publishing it then. I use this a lot to get my thoughts on paper before I type. It's a good jump start place. I also use it to write when I'm not at home or near a computer.
    • Course notes are a problem- they get lost in my blog notebook and even if I dedicate a notebook to just course notes, I don't necessarily finish a course before taking part of another. That means I have to judge how many pages to leave for a course or split notes up.
    • It's hard to leave the right number of pages for ongoing projects in a paper book
    • Product creation- means marketing it and adding to my list of just writing. It's the marketing tasks that require the extra structure and focus and I don't currently have plan or pattern for this work. I'm just getting started down this road. The business planner provides this for me.
    • Brilliant Life planner- includes both life planning and business planning, but it's full sized. So, it doesn't meet the need of purse carrying though I do carry a tote for a purse.
    • OneNote- I could start using onenote vs evernote and that would allow me to keep notes on ongoing projects without losing them. Evernote only allows you to use two devices with it for free.
    • Google Keep- another online option that would sync across all my devices and it integrates with my Google calendar

I need someplace I can easily index ongoing projects.

I need the ability to schedule and track community building & marketing work.

I need to keep an editorial calendar for blog work.

Ok experts...go!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Rose View Post
    Jen -sounds like a cool class!
    Is J a celebrity from his project?
    Well, I he has won a couple of photo contests there and a design contest once, but mostly they just think he's charming, I think. He takes after his dad. Once in college we had a dance at the VFW and all the old ladies kept wanting to dance with him. But he's always helpful and smiling there, and I don't think they have many teens there, so he's made an impression.

Paige, I hope the competition goes well!

I got two pairs of pants ironed, cleaned out the fridge, and prepped dinner. Then I took dd to gymnastics and ran to Hobby Lobby so I could get some cord for the bracelets she's making.

Dinner is done now and I have a lot of clean up in the kitchen! I also need to get the trash and recycling out!

Update:
    • fixed dinner in the IP- it needed thickening
    • picked up E- because he can't seem to catch a bus
    • more bedding was started in the washer
    • took more of my class
    • made granola- one batch is done and I'm browning the second tray in the lower oven now because it seems to run hotter
    • washed the dishes
    • loaded the dishwasher
    • wiped down the counters and table

Now I'm sitting on the POH at dusk. There's a bit of light in the sky. Looks like tomorrow will be a rainy day, but I will consider it good that the pollen will get washed out of the air. It's bad.

In a few minutes, I'm sure I'll go back inside. My workspaces are cluttered at the moment and I don't feel great so it is unlikely I'll clean them up today. The rest of the first floor needs work as well. Tomorrow is another day!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Shelley -- your date night sounds like ours. Ds1 always said no college. He is still saying it. I have told him if he ever wants to go it is never to late!

Heather -- your weather sounds amazing!! At one point I saw feels like 102 Sometimes I could walk out and it was so hot & sticky. Other times not so bad. If it was yuck I came right back in the house

Joelle -- YAY for your dd and fun for her too! Sorry ds can't go.

Jen -- your ds is a very sweet young man! Love his helpful attitude

Paige -- fun times

Angela -- GO LOGAN!!! Hope he does great! And has fun!!

• clipped & filed nails
    • text to see if ds2 could get haircut
    • took ds2 to get lawn mower has
    • took off recycling
    • ds2 mowed & weed eat
    • took ds2 to get haircut
    • found dining table
    • fixed good supper...later than meant but hey I cooked

Did some other stuff I think but can't remember what. I know I was doing stuff.

About 5pm I looked out back window and sky was super dark. Walked out front and one side was clear, other side dark. Ds2 and I started moving things on porch..my plant that was still on table got moved to better protected spot etc.

Then the wind picked up, really picked up. It went from hot and sticky to cool. Some of the wind was cold breeze.

We have had rain and LOUD thunder & crazy lightning. I need a shower but don't like to shower during storms so it will be late shower.
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleTN View Post
    Shelley -- your date night sounds like ours. Ds1 always said no college. He is still saying it. I have told him if he ever wants to go it is never to late!
    We visit this quite often, and she is a fairly discerning and wise young lady, so we are trusting that God has something for her that all of us just are not seeing in full color at the moment. It's kind of exciting, in a way. I would not be surprised if she eventually takes some online classes at some point, but to put a backpack on her and send her even to our local State University (which employs her father and provides our housing at the moment! would likely break her spirit. I have to trust her (and God) in this... she is a 'hands on' kind of girl, read to work and serve and 'do'. I think the next year will be a bit of a ride as we help her more fully engage in the "what do I want to do" questions, while gaining some experience and checking her options, all while finishing up her senior year! Adventure awaits!

It is interesting to see how many young people are pursing other avenues besides academics right now... a trend away from the cry of "you must go to college" perhaps, as least going by what I've been reading. Most of all, we wanted her to not just go because she felt she "should".

But you are right! It is never too late! My husband went in his 30s and got an engineering degree.
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)