Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mom's Book Thread ~ Week 27 (July 1st - July 7th)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    Sorry--not a book related post.

Negin, I had to jump back on here and share this: I was watching an episode of the show I mentioned earlier this week (Gardener's World), and they featured some gardens in Barbados. Gorgeous tropical plants--right up your alley! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDentGLSW8A
    Oh, thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenM View Post
    I wish I had had that wisdom to glean and choose in my early homeschool years! I let myself get stressed by other people's lists and priorities!
    This is exactly what I was trying to say.

Sorry that "Eleanor and Park" wasn't that good.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

I've got a couple of books going, both are re-reads and both I consider 4 stars. The first is "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot and the second is "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck. Herriot isn't for everyone, but if you love words and language and thought, "Travels with Charley" is great fun.

Rebe, Prairie Fires sounds like a good read. We did "Prairie Primer" a few years ago. I had not paid much attention to LIW prior to that, but began to do a little research. My gut was the same as yours, and the more I learned about her, the more I didn't like Rose. I had the same response to Pa. Looking at him from the perspective of a wife, and not solely through Laura's eyes, I dislike him intensely.
    Robin, wife for 21 years to a wonderful man, and mama to 20yo Belle; 18yo Kitty; 14yo Princess, and 12yo Boyo.
    Words for 2015 and 2016 and probably forever: Be her.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin in Colorado View Post
    I've got a couple of books going, both are re-reads and both I consider 4 stars. The first is "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot and the second is "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck. Herriot isn't for everyone, but if you love words and language and thought, "Travels with Charley" is great fun.

Rebe, Prairie Fires sounds like a good read. We did "Prairie Primer" a few years ago. I had not paid much attention to LIW prior to that, but began to do a little research. My gut was the same as yours, and the more I learned about her, the more I didn't like Rose. I had the same response to Pa. Looking at him from the perspective of a wife, and not solely through Laura's eyes, I dislike him intensely.
    I love both James Herriot and John Steinbeck. Now I want to read both of them again.

Robin, I've been a huge LIW fan since age 8 and have read just about everything I can about her (except the really crazy stuff, like "LIW didn't write the books"). This is a great bio - if you do read it, be prepared for LOTS of politics and LOTS of info on Rose. She was a firecracker - not in the best sense of the word. Definitely a lot of disturbing issues going on there ...

I don't share your opinion of Pa, but that is interesting. I've heard a few other women say similar things and I can kind of understand why.

I do have to warn anyone who is a big fan of the TV series - don't read the end of this book unless you want your bubble burst. I've never seen one episode, so I am immune, but I know there are some huge Little House TV show fans and this book doesn't cast Michael Landon in a favorable light. I'd love to share a few really funny bits from that part of the book, but I'm going to refrain.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 19 * motion-loving ds 16 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Negin View Post
    Oh, thank you so much!
    Just found one more--this is the first one in the Barbados series, apparently. http://dai.ly/x69nwho Might be more on later episodes for that season, too! Hope you all enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Robin, I loved both of those books, and have been meaning to reread Herriot for some time now! I thought I hated all Steinbeck books until this one, which I read a few years ago. I was so shocked to find how much I enjoyed it! Good choices.
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

Robin, I also love both - James Herriot and Steinbeck. I haven't finished all their books yet, but plan on doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki P in VA View Post
    Just found one more--this is the first one in the Barbados series, apparently. http://dai.ly/x69nwho Might be more on later episodes for that season, too! Hope you all enjoy!
    Vicki, thanks so much! You're the best!
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor