Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thursday DECLUTTERING!

Default Thursday DECLUTTERING!

This Week's Challenge: Pick a project week! Whatever you'd like to accomplish this week is on deck- could be small or large. Let us know what you are working on so we can cheer you on!

School Challenge: Reading challenge- get some new read alouds going, rearrange books, check your library status, and plan a book party!

Inspiring Thought:
    Learning is not the product of teaching. Learning is the product of the activity of learners. - John Holt

For me today:
    • read aloud
    • business bujo
    • drink water
    • thank you cards
    • complete cubby project
    • laundry
    • walk
    • pool
    • mount butterfly wing
    • algebra
    • facilitate poster research
    • watercolor- twice
    • organize my journaling supplies
    • investigate sewing project
    • try the printer- print from dh's computer if necessary
    • blog work

Today may be the last super hot day we have for a few days- at least maybe it will the last super humid hot day. I hope. Of course, we are leaving town on Tuesday and going south so we might still be hot.

I might try to spend a little time on the POH this morning just to get some fresh air for a while before the heat really gets going, but the dew point is in the 70s so I doubt I'll last long.

Have a fun Thursday!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Here's a look at my Thursday:
    -group devotions. We got to talking and it lasted for over an hour! It was good though.
    -finished our summer newsletter and e-mailed it to dh to print
    -got one of the interns stared on writing Sunday school curriculum for the elementary aged kids for use later in the year
    -worked on some Science lesson plans for the middle school aged kids for next year
    -practiced singing with an intern for our worship cafe event that is coming up
    -helped the interns fold and stuff some newsletters
    -took all the interns to the mall, I did some clothes shopping
    -grocery shopping (they have grocery stores at most malls in Japan)
    -prayer meeting
    -practiced piano

I hope you get a few moment on the POH before it gets too hot Heather!
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 14 and Hudson 11

Heather -- hope you can enjoy your POH some I know you don't want the house but have you ever put a box fan out on your porch? I have one just for outside. I don't like to use it but sometimes I want to be outside when so hot and the fan on low will move enough air to make it tolerable. I can still hear birds etc.

Lindsey -- sounds like a productive day!

I am confused as to what day it is

Today:
    • water plant
    • hummingbird feeders
    • laundry -- reg & sheets
    • fold -- towels & socks in basket waiting
    • pick up living room -- what happened??
    • vacuum
    • dining room
    • kitchen -- ch 1
    • photo work
    • supper

Dh told me as I was heading to bed last night he was off today. Him being home may throw a kink into my day And now I am really confused about the day

Ds1 is working today.

I am on my porch now. Already feels like 93. Gonna be a hot one again. Will probably keep curtains closed again I like having them open!

Have a great Thursday!!
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

Good morning!

Heather, I hope you get some nice porch time!

Lindsey, good job on planning for next year!

Michelle, stay cool!

We have a pretty simple day...
    *laundry
    *lunch with my sister and her kids
    *go visit the drug store that's in my grandma's old house
    *water park

That's about all I can handle mentally today, I think. I did not have a great time last night. Way too many people and way too little good judgment from some of them. I think I'm going to volunteer to dog sit next year. But I will feel better after some time on the lazy river.

Have a great day today, friends!

Good Morning!
    Oh.my.gosh. I think yesterday was the worst day for the heat and humidity. It was just atrocious. I was hot and tired all day. Sleeping in the tent has been good, but we go to bed late and I wake up early because the birds are a very loud alarm. I'm SO tired.

But today is the last day of heat! Tonight is suppose to be below 70, thank goodness, and tomorrow's high is only suppose to be 79*F. We are almost there!

Currently, 79*F with a dew point of 75*F. That dew point, for this many days in a row, has put me close to the edge, Ladies. I went back out to the gazebo for a bit this morning, but it was too hot to sit in there once the sun rose above the house. The house is closed up for the day. From the looks of the hourly forecast, we only have to make it to 4pm, for storms and cooling. I'm counting down the hours!

So far:
    • email management and reading
    • instagram bit and pieces
    • closed up the house; turned up the fans... just realized the living room fan that's blowing air out was not turned up all the way yesterday. How did I not notice?
    • worked for a bit on the chapter book revision
    • got me some breakfast and ds11 is morning drink

For the rest of TODAY:
    • wash up dishes from the last couple days
    • grocery store for veggies.. maybe
    • decide on my CBD order and place it
    • work on table piles/school paper organizing
    • re-do the homeschool cabinet in the living room... I need to revamp so it includes my tutoring stuff
    • what's for supper?.. dh is working the funeral home, so leftovers or simple sandwiches are on the menu
    • figure out calendar for rest of summer

Enjoy your day!
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Hello Ladies,

HW. We are about an hour and fifteen minutes away from the lake house. We usually take mostly country roads to get here so it is a nice ride.

I second the box fan on the porch. We ate outside last night and had a fan going, it was nice.

We had a nice afternoon yesterday. Dinner was grilled pork tenderloin, broccoli salad, and cherries, all of which we brought and my in-laws appreciated that. We stayed up late watching A Capital 4th and the New York City fireworks as well as some being shot off by neighbors.

Today will be hot and muggy!

I gotta go be social now.... but will try to check in later.
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

Michelle-- Stay cool! All day yesterday I was thinking it was Friday. At one point I was like... wow, tomorrow is Saturday already.

Jen-- The lazy river sounds perfect. Enjoy!

Lindsey-- Good job working on the science lessons. Are you enjoying planning for 3 again?

HeatherW-- Mount butterfly wing? You just have one wing?

Angela-- Enjoy! I hope you're getting a little breeze off the lake.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (5th gr).

Good morning, all

Heather -- hope you get porch time, and I agree that a fan makes a good bit of difference

Jen -- hope the day goes well visiting the drugstore in your g'ma house

Lindsey -- lots of planning/organizing going on

Cindy -- 79 sounds like bliss about right now Enjoy!

Angela -- hope the weekend at the lake goes well!

Michelle -- on the day mix-up. Dh said the exact same thing with being off yesterday -- it's thrown us for a loop on days. Enjoy your day with your dh!

Here:
    Believe it or not, I do NOT have much on the agenda today -- Most veggies/fruits are taking care of for the moment (they'll be picked again this weekend)
    -- Ben had a friend spend the night last night (and yes, they knew about Cale being sick), so I have an extra boy around this morning and will get with his mom at some point today
    * Cale's mowing grass (I ran out for gas for the mower already this morning).
    Probably going to work on grade reports and transcripts from last year at some point. Not thrilled about it, but it needs to be done, and I have the time.
    Hope to sew today (that's what I really WANT to do, so I figure that will happen )
    Should work more in the playroom/schoolroom/storage room and finish organizing.

Those are my 3 "tasks" for the day. We'll see which ones actually get accomplished.

OH, I need to order some stuff from Abeka. I want to make sure that I have all on my list from them that I need -- not much. Their website is such a PAIN!!! For several years now, it won't let me order off the website. I actually have to call. The top of the page says "Hello, Paige" once I log in, but when I try to add anything to my basket, it tells me I don't have an account UGH!!! So, I need to call and order.

Believe it or not, I think we're going to start back to math next week. Just math. But, the kids are going to my parent's the first week of August. Then we're going to the beach the 3rd weekend in Aug. for 4/5 days. Then next May (mid-May), we're headed out West again for a big vacation. I want to be DONE with school by mid-May. That means we must get started with Math. NOT ready, but it's just math. Gotta be done, and we have the time.

Ya'll have a great day!
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

Michelle & AR- Thanks for the box fan recommendation. The one we have is doing it's duty in our master bedroom. Because you know my husband has engineered air flow to maximize our a/c units.

Our bedroom is large and it's arranged so that when you walk in the door, straight ahead is the master bathroom which when you enter can go left and right. The master closet is off the bathroom to the right. What that means is in order to get to the rest of our room, there's a little hallway of about 4-5 feet before it opens up to the rest of the room. The a/c unit is in the corner opposite the door to enter the room. So, we have a box fan blowing the cool air toward the hallway. We don't need it all the time when we run the a/c unit, but with the extreme dew point, it helps a lot.

The other a/c unit upstairs is in the boys' room on the back of the same side of our house. R's room and the studio do not have units. They rely on the air coming out of the cool rooms. It works well for the most part. On the first floor, we have one big unit in our dining room that cools the first floor.

I do have a couple other little fans, but box fans are less noisy!

One day I really want a ceiling fan out there!

POH- Yeah, I didn't bother. It is so disgusting out. I tried hanging out bathing suits we had to hang indoors and of course it started to rain a little. Ditched that.

AR- Enjoy your day at the lake.

Michelle- I was confused yesterday with Dan being off. Like I thought today might be Sunday and then when it was time to get his lunch it felt like Monday again. I need to remember to have the recycling put out to the curb. Maybe before the storms hit- even if it means swirling recyclables!

Cindy- One last day! It is bad. Let's hope this is for the really awful weather!

Jen- Mmmmm...the lazy river. I could use some time in one of those! I hope your troubles melt away. I'm just hoping to hit the pool this evening without it storming.

Lindsey- You've been busy. Great job on planning science!

So far:
    • made dh's lunch and took him to work
    • collected some kitchen trash
    • had it taken to the outdoor can
    • hung out the kids' bathing suits- only to take them in again
    • a bit of blog work
    • started some kitchen towels in the wash
    • switched those to the dryer
    • started more laundry

Ok...going to try and get some 4-H work going this morning. Then I'll see what's next on my list.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).

Good morning! Like Cindy, I am SO thankful that this heat is almost past(for now)!

I read a bit yesterday, but was too worn to post. I do NOT do heat. We went to the parade yesterday morning and it was already 81 and humid. The poor people in the parade were sweating. We found a shady spot to wait and then moved to the edge of the street in the sun once it actually started. They throw candy, so kids were adamant about getting close enough. One brilliant group threw freeze pops! And it was pretty short this year. Only 30 minutes.

We ran by Walmart afterwards. Ladies, I was hot. Just so hot. Like, my body can not cool down lately and I can't handle it. I was so irritable and fractious and I knew it, which made it worse, because I was just trying to deal with heat and then my own irritability and a 4yo who also seemed like he wanted to push every public behavior button in my head. When we finally got back to the car(which we had left running int he parking lots with the a/c going), I was done. DONE. DONE. DONE. And then dh kept asking what was wrong. I lost it, started complaining about how hot I was was, and then finally just started crying. He asked if I needed a hospital. I'm not sure if he meant for a physical eval or mental, but the look said mental. When we got home, he sent to me to a/c room and he and the boys took care of lunch. Ben brought me a large iced cold drink. I just wanted to cry some more, but everyone was already freaked out and tip toeing around me.

After lunch, I hid the room all afternoon and Josh eventually crawled in my lap and fell asleep and I took that as my cue to sleep too. Nick was already asleep int eh recliner next to me. I woke up sufficiently cooled enough to emerge. Check the pool and the chlorine levels were sky high. sigh... They have not registered in days and I had dumped a bunch in Tuesday night. It worked! Luckily water level was low, so added some water. Helped a teensy bit.

Made dinner, on grill, which brought my temp back up and my nerves frazzled again. I did eat in front of a fan and did not lose my mind again. After dinner, I went swimming with the Js. Oh, and the heat had the pool at 80!! Adding well water brought it back to a refreshing 72. Then we showered the chlorine off. Had raspberry and strawberry shortcakes and then sparklers and a few firecrackers before everyone headed to bed way too late for me.

So, today, is hot again. I'm not crying yet. But everyone knows mom is on edge. I think I'm going to hide in the a/c again today to try to avoid a meltdown. I might start working on organizing those bookshelves and maybe getting rid of stuff.

Today's list:
    -breakfast done
    -chores are being done
    -put together a small package for Bekah
    -menfolk headed out for haircuts, PO and a Steam gift card(there is some sort of sale this morning)
    -figure out meals, I think leftover pasta for lunch
    -freezer shift #2 is thawed, need to wipe down, plug in and repack so I can thaw #3
    -swim at some point, probably after lunch to help get through the afternoon
    -bookshelves
    -school planning
    -FIAR with Js

In farm news, we have lost 6 of our 15 turkey poults to the heat. sigh... They were fine in our garage, but they started smelling, so we moved them to the barn on Monday. Four died Tuesday and two yesterday. They are now back in the garage(which while warm, it cooler than the barn). The chicks and keets have tolerated it much easier and no losses there or the adults chickens or ducks.

And a bit of drama on Tuesday. I got a text from Bekah that the school she is at was in lockdown, the RAs were visibly upset and she was locked in a dining hall. I was in PetSmart and trying not to freak out, but we texted back and forth quite a bit while I ran to Walmart and then headed home. She kept updating me, I was scared and trying to be calm, she was scared and trying to be calm. NOT FUNNY! They were finally able to leave and return to their normal schedule. I got emails from the school that they were locked down, when the lock down was over and a later PC statement that they were not in any danger, it was a precaution and everything was dealt with, but no details. Not cool. Dh checked the local news and found an arrest had gone bad and the handcuffed suspect had escaped custody of the two officers, who was eventually found and back in custody. That would have been good information several hours earlier. Is it just me, because my mind went straight to active shooter alert?

Maybe it's not just the heat. Maybe it's just the past couple of days of heat and stress!?!

Hope everyone can stay cool today!!!

Wow, sorry for the word vomit...
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(18), Rebekah(16), Julianne(11), Jonathan(8)and Joshua(4)