Thread: Quick question

Default Quick question

Do you usually do something special on the first day of school with your high schoolers???? Abby is going into the 11th and Iím looking for a fresh idea. Thanks!!
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of Ď19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Usually just go out to eat for lunch
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

I still have younger ones, so we do a Not Back to School day on the first day of public school. We go to the usually deserted beach.
    Shay, wife to Rod and mom to Nathaniel(23), Benjamin(20), Nicholas(18), Rebekah(16), Julianne(11), Jonathan(8)and Joshua(4)

Quote Originally Posted by ShayChristie View Post
    I still have younger ones, so we do a Not Back to School day on the first day of public school. We go to the usually deserted beach.
    Fun!! We could do that! We’re officially starting this coming Monday, the 9th, but we could celebrate on the first day of public school, too!
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of Ď19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Yes celebrate public school 1st day with something fun too!!
    Be thankful for what you have. Be creative. Be innovative.. Think differently and positively.
    Wife to Brian and Mama to 20yo ds, 17yo ds

No. We hit the books, we've done this even when the kids were little though. Why? Because we start back to school nearly a month prior to the local schools. The local schools start on a Wednesday & have half days all week long. Then the following Monday they go in at full force. The week they are back in full force we take a picnic lunch & hit the pool or the beach which will be often be empty.

Word to the wise though.. If you wear DARK sunglasses & are staring at your kids who are pretending you don't exist & need to re-slather sunscreen on, chances are high the lifeguard will think you're staring at him & will walk over for a chat.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

I've never been good at the "first day of school" thing, but my daughter will be a senior and I would like to start out special! This summer, we are finishing the junior year, but at some point in August, after a break, we are jumping into the Sr. year officially.

We aren't really pool people anymore. However, we do have a swimming beach at the local lake that my daughter loves, (and we rarely go!!) so maybe we can get some friends to go there for the afternoon.

Thanks for the idea!
    Livin' on the prairie with special husband and wonderful young lady! (7/00)

We used to do lunch or some fun food that day or in our FIAR days, we'd do something special related to our studies.

With high schoolers, it's not so showy. But, it might be fun for us to mark this year because we'll have two off to college for the first time and two to homeschool (11th and 8th grade). Might be fun for my boys to do something special.

How about starting off at a coffee shop? Breakfast and some portion of school? If you just wanted to make it low key but fun. Or you could blow it out and head somewhere way more fun.
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (20 ds, 18 dd, 16 ds, 13 ds).