Thread: Eggplant recipes?

Default Eggplant recipes?

I planted eggplant this year for the first time in years, and it's BOUNTIFUL!!! I probably have at least a dozen eggplants ready or almost ready!

I need some recipe help! Any tried and true favorites?
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

This eggplant rollitini recipe is great. It is like lasagna, but with eggplant for noodles. https://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...lant-rollatini

- - - Updated - - -

I also love this roasted eggplant dip. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1942051
    Loving, learning, and living in central VA with my adventurous husband of 14 years and our three children.

I LOVE baba ganoush, which is another dip option. I grow eggplants specifically for this recipe. http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...he-world-67570

It's also good cut up and stir-fried with other veg, and I tried grilling it with a variety of squash, onions and mushrooms last week--so good!

Here's a no fry eggplant parmesan recipe that's pretty good as well: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25...n-ii/?src=rotd
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

Thank you!

Tonight, I sliced it, added salt and garlic powder, and cooked on 425 for a while, put sautéed onions on top, and sprinkled it with cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Dh and I thought it was yummy. Kids not so much
    Wife to Jim and Mama to Katie (1/01), Mattie (9/02), Cale (4/05), and Ben (8/08)

I've added eggplant to curry recipes before. My husband Chris has a curry recipe like this:

1 chicken breast, cubed
    4 potatoes cubed
    1 chopped onion
    1 can tomatoes
    1 can coconut milk
    2-3 garlic cloves, minced
    curry powder (to taste)
    gram masala (to taste)
    cumin (to taste)
    1-2 bell peppers chopped
    1-2 egg plants, cubed (optional)
    cilantro leaves optional
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or enough to coat the bottom of the pot)

Heat the oil and garlic in the bottom of a large pot. Add the chicken and potatoes and brown them. Add all remaining ingredients and bring them to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft and the chicken is done.
    Lindsey Carter
    Wife to Chris for 19 years and Mom to Wesley 15, Adelaide 13 and Hudson 11

Two ideas come to mind:
    1. The Barefoot Contessa's orzo with roasted vegetables. Eggplant is really good as one of the veggies. You can omit the pine nuts and basil, and it's still delicious. I usually use a full pound of orzo though.
    2. Make a ratatouille. If your kids are brave, serve it as is over pasta or rice. If they fear words like ratatouille, put it all in the blender and call it roasted veggie sauce. It's delicious over pasta, and my kids love it. Otherwise they would never eat the individual vegetables.

I don't follow a specific recipe for ratatouille. I take a large roasting pan and preheat the oven to 350. I throw in chopped veggies (peppers, onion, zucchini, eggplant) and a large can of tomatoes--or fresh ones if I have them. I also chop several cloves of garlic, add those, and then add a liberal amount of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. I grow basil, thyme, oregano, and marjoram, so I use whatever is in abundance. You can use dried herbs, too. I usually cover the pan with foil and just let it bake for at least an hour. Everything should be super tender. After I let it cool, I throw it all into the blender.
    Mom to Grace (15), Sarah (13), and Hannah (11)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Laura, my kids would definitely eat those thank you!!! And I think they’d like it more in a tomato sauce

Lindsay, I’ve never made curry (but like it), and I actually bought coconut milk the other day to try a curry recipe I may try yours

Angela and Vicki, what do you dip into the eggplant dip? Veggies? Chips? I’ve never heard of eggplant dip!

Quote Originally Posted by Paige P View Post
    Laura, my kids would definitely eat those thank you!!! And I think they’d like it more in a tomato sauce

Lindsay, I’ve never made curry (but like it), and I actually bought coconut milk the other day to try a curry recipe I may try yours

Angela and Vicki, what do you dip into the eggplant dip? Veggies? Chips? I’ve never heard of eggplant dip!
    We make pita chips usually--here's the way we make those: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ps-recipe.html (That bean dip recipe is also yummy!) Soft pita also works well. Or you could spread it on crackers, I guess--we just don't buy those usually. I'll eat baba ganoush, pita and veg for lunch or dinner any day of the week!

I am absolutely going to try that curry recipe; thank you Lindsey!
    Mama of two lovely ladies: Carina (11) & Madelyn (9).

We slice in thick rounds, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and grill. Only takes a few minutes. We like them still firm but a nice char.

As long as they are still very firm, they go nicely in any stir-fry.
    Lisa, married to my best friend in the whole-wide world, Scott. Mommy to Jacob 19, Emily 16, and Grace 13